Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1 large cap vs multiple smaller caps (1kj gun)

Move Thread LAN_403
ben5017
Thu Oct 14 2010, 07:40PM Print
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
new here help me out.
Dave Marshall
Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:27PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
First of all, you need to expand on your post considerably. One liner posts aren't permitted, particularly not in the technical forums.

You're missing a huge amount of pertinent data. Voltage? Current? Coil size? Capacitor specs? Type of project (inductance, reluctance, reconnection, ETG, or other type of capacitive projectile accelerator?)

Reread the forum rules. Then do some searching in the archives, then flesh out the specifics in this thread so we can help.

-Dave
ben5017
Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:42PM
sry i just joined here... Gun will be a single stage, voltage around 500, .01 F capacity. dont know about the coil size, this will be my first 1. the reason why i am askin is i was lookin around at bus capacitors and found a 450v 12000uf cap that would put me over my disired 1 kj range. i didnt know if i would be better off getting 2 or 3 smaller ones that still hold around 1kj.
Artikbot
Thu Oct 14 2010, 10:14PM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
Is that a capacitor or a supercapacitor? If it's a super, it won't work. ESR is so high that it would take ages for it to discharge.

By the way, if it's your first coilgun, I suggest experimenting with disposable cameras until you get around with the basic concepts. It really helps because you don't need to buidl ALL the stuff concerning the whole circuitry, avoided by using a mechanical switch and a photoflash circuit.
You can also experiment by adding more caps to that charger.

But well, if you wanna start the house from the roof, hey, it's your decision smile

I recommend doing this because I've started recently too, and it takes A LOT of experimentation before you come up with the necessary knowledge and concern about the concept to build a functional coilgun.
ben5017
Thu Oct 14 2010, 10:18PM
it is a bus capacitor
Link2

yes i plan on building a few smaller prototypes before construction on it. It is still in the planning stages and i juss am trying to learn so i can make an effective coil gun. one of my friends is an electrical engineering student with acess to to alot of pieces, sothe circuitry is up to him ha
Artikbot
Thu Oct 14 2010, 10:20PM
Dude... you'd better start with something smaller, because if you're learning and wanna use THAT beast... You could kill yourself just because of a little mistake!

By the way, start by reading the project logs on barry's site, they will help you to get an idea of how the whole thing works and the dimensions of such a project ;)

Link2

ben5017
Thu Oct 14 2010, 11:24PM
i plan to make a few and work my way up. but for my actual gun i would use only 1 of those. from watchin videos onl;ine i want a 1kj gun or its not worth it. but as for my origional question whats better 1 big cap of 3-4 smaller caps with eq energy to the large 1
Artikbot
Fri Oct 15 2010, 08:02AM
What do you mean by "it's not worth it" just from videos? I'm currently shooting at 200J with a "starting to be" optimised system (correct projectile placement, correct barrel, polished barrel+round, apropriate switch) and hey, it has A LOT of power. And it's just 200J.

It's not all about raw power, efficiency has a lot to do. If it's wrongly designed, even with 1kJ raw electrical energy it will barely go through a can. If it is efficient enough, with 400J it can pierce from side to side a soup can easily.

More than the stored energy, is the overall concept. I remember somewhere on YouTube a guy using 2kJ electrical energy and he still wasn't able to make it through a soup can and a potato inside it shooting with a huge nail. 2kJ! That's 10 times the energy I'm using and I still pierce the first wall and almost stick half round into the potato.

According to your question, depends on the ESR of each capacitor. If the 3-4 are very low ESR ones, might be better than the big one. If otherwise they have similar ESRs, I'd say go with the big one just for versatility.
GhostNull
Fri Oct 15 2010, 09:35AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
lol, if you don't get the design right, it might not work at all. From what you have said, you really need to do some research. =S

But back on what I think your original question is: Which is better? A single large capacitor or several smaller capacitors?

Which of the two options is better comes down to you and personal variables but I think several smaller capacitors would be better

In terms of pure functionality to store energy, if you are only putting them in parallel then there is not much difference. The capacitance will just add up. However, If you are putting them in series (to raise the voltage it can handle) it can be more trouble. When putting electrolytic capacitors in series, you must account for the leakage current of each capacitor using balancing resistors. Look here for more info: Link2 and if one capacitor fails in a series capacitor bank, then it will take all of them with it. In terms of just energy storage, there is not much difference as far as I know but if you are going to put some capacitors in series, it would be better to use a single, higher voltage rated capacitor instead.

Several smaller capacitors allow for greater flexibility but a single large capacitor offers greater simplicity and safety. With many smaller capacitors give have greater flexibility: you can put them together in parallel to make a big high capacitance bank, in series to make a higher voltage bank, a combination of the two, use them separately to make a smaller coilgun or use them to power several coils and make a multistage (usually more powerful) coilgun. The problem with many small capacitors is that there is a lot more to go wrong; both in terms of safety as well as reliability. There is more work and chance for error in putting together many capacitors than there is putting in a single capacitor. The greater amount of connections required with multiple capacitors a greater chance of something going wrong. However, should one smaller capacitor of many fail, that is much less of a loss than a single large capacitor. A single capacitor means simplicity and easy of use and many capacitors means flexibility but more complexity and chance of failure.

Another factor is cost. You might find that many smaller capacitors are much cheaper than a single large capacitor, or you may not. If you spend too much on your capacitors you might find you don't have enough money for other parts such as the switching device and charger. Take into account the cost.

I suggest you get many smaller capacitors because you don't currently have a clear plan. It would be better to have the flexibility of multiple capacitor than getting a big capacitor and being stuck with it or having to get more capacitors.

Cheers
-Ken

ps. I think if you look around some more you'll get a better price. In my experience, eBay isn't always the cheapest place to get this kind of stuff. Look for surplus sites

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: