Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil Design - Multiple Coils In Parallel.

Move Thread LAN_403
aarpcard
Tue Aug 03 2010, 08:09PM Print
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
I've been a lurker on this board for many months now and I've posted a few questions regarding my coil gun I'm working on. I've learned a lot and wish to thank everyone who has helped me. I'm sorry if I've been a little non responsive in the past.

Anyhow, my coil gun is working amazingly right now. I've added a second capacitor bank, got the scr switching working marvelously, improved the charging circuits, and put shielding around my coil.

My coil is made of 65 meters of 25 gauge speaker wire, with 1300 turns or so. The coils resistance was 7ohms which was way, way too much. So I decided to cut my wire in half, solder the two halves in series, and rewind my coil.

I did this because I wanted to reduce the resistance while keeping the same number of turns. It worked. My coil resistance is now 1.8 ohms instead of 7 ohms. I am receiving much more velocity from my projectiles as well.

I was wondering if there was any downside to what I did, and if it would be worth my trouble to double up the wire again to reduce the resistance even more. This would result in basically 4 coils wired in series all in the same space.
ramses
Tue Aug 03 2010, 08:13PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
aarpcard wrote ...

solder the two halves in series, and rewind my coil.

You mean parallel. You were correct in the thread title.

Doing this actually halves the number of turns, while quartering the resistance and halving the inductance. If we ignore inductance, you theoretically quadruple current, and thus double the peak field strength, while quartering the duration. This is just like using larger wire. Depending on your exact setup, cutting again could either increase or decrease performance. In the worst case, it could damage your SCR.
aarpcard
Wed Aug 04 2010, 05:39PM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
Ok thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about adding a dual coil setup triggered by an i/r sensor. Can anyone recommend me a good sensor circuit that would get the job done?
Saz43
Thu Aug 05 2010, 04:35AM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Link2
Troy
Sun Oct 17 2010, 05:09PM
Troy Registered Member #3194 Joined: Tue Sept 14 2010, 04:16AM
aarp, I've played around with some SCR switching configurations triggered with IR sensors. I was wondering if you could share how your SCR works. For my current model I've sidelined the SCR switch with high current mechanical relays with are more straight forward.

The IR sensors are working perfectly with the mechanical relays and in bench testing it appears that the relays handle the 1200+V just fine, but I know they will wear out eventually and I really want to use SCRs eventually.
ScotchTapeLord
Sun Oct 17 2010, 10:44PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Coils in parallel will raise the current. This will be harder on your SCR. They will also shorten the pulse length.

You'll have to find the "sweet spot" for your design. If you think your device is "working amazingly" then maybe you should stick with what you have now.

What is the pulse rating of your SCR? What is the voltage of your capacitor bank? You should aim for a coil resistance equal to the voltage of your bank divided by the pulsed current rating of your SCRs.

If you did the paralleling thing again, you would end up with slightly under .5 ohms, which is around the value most coil guns I've seen use. That's not to say it's best, though.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: