Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Ivan Kalafatic (16)

Next birthdays
10/06 Ivan Kalafatic (16)
10/07 Pyromaniac (33)
10/07 Wavetuner (75)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Toroid core to condense magentic flux?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
GhostNull
Mon Jan 25 2010, 02:31AM Print
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
Hey

I was thinking of using a cut toroid core, as shown in the attachment. This would create a dense magnetic field arcross the barrel. I have found no infomation about this method or people using it. There probaly is some reason this won't work oblivious to me. So tell me tell me your thoughts.
1264386660 2648 FT0 Toroid Diagram
Turkey9
Mon Jan 25 2010, 07:07AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Are you proposing using this to attract the projectile? If so, the field inside a solenoid coil is going to be just as dense as your toroid. The reason a toroid only has a field inside of itself is not because it takes the field from outside and puts it inside. It just has a geometry that cancels out the field outside the coil. So with the same amount of turns and current, a toroid and solenoid will both have the same field strength inside of them. The slotted toroid might work but it wouldn't be practical when the same results can be had much easier.
GhostNull
Mon Jan 25 2010, 10:40AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Are you proposing using this to attract the projectile? If so, the field inside a solenoid coil is going to be just as dense as your toroid. The reason a toroid only has a field inside of itself is not because it takes the field from outside and puts it inside. It just has a geometry that cancels out the field outside the coil. So with the same amount of turns and current, a toroid and solenoid will both have the same field strength inside of them. The slotted toroid might work but it wouldn't be practical when the same results can be had much easier.

Yes I am preposing to use it in a reluctence coil gun. But if, as you say, it cancels out the field outside the coil wouldn't this mean less eddy currents, less stray magnetic field and therefore better efficiency?
Dr. Slack
Mon Jan 25 2010, 03:35PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
It's true that a core such as you have drawn would increase the flux in the gap over what you might expect with a small excitation current. It may sort of work in a coil gun.

However, that's not usually the problem with a coil gun.

Generally you can get enough energy in reasonable size/cost capacitors to saturate any magnetic material using a simple air-cored solenoid, so it's not actually needed. People do try to enhance the field by putting some iron in the return patth round the coils, but there's debate about whether even that's worth the effort.

You also need to keep the inductance low to avoid suck-back after the armature has passed the middle position. The core would give you a relatively high inductance.
radiotech
Mon Jan 25 2010, 04:48PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Your diagram and description made me think of this magnet design.
Link2
GhostNull
Wed Jan 27 2010, 07:54AM
Okay, thanks guys.

So in a summary this design would be feasible but the solenoid design would achevie just as good results with less trouble
Barry
Wed Jan 27 2010, 05:32PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
GhostNull wrote ...

So in a summary this design would be feasible but the solenoid design would achieve just as good results with less trouble
Actually, I really like this idea. My experience has been that external iron makes dramatic improvements, although input power level should be chosen to avoid saturation. If the goal is maximum energy conversion efficiency, then I'm convinced that some kind of iron is essential to control magnetic flux. And this configuration looks better than whacking up E-leaves from a transformer core like I've done so far.

The toroid holds promise for better guidance of magnetic flux path. I However, I think there are limitations.

Some toroidal advantages...
  • no square bends means less loss to fringing and stray fields
  • reasonably high magnetic saturation level compared to alternative materials
  • high saliency ratio means high efficiency
  • powdered iron toroid means no eddy currents
  • by choosing a toroid with a larger cross-sectional area you can operate at higher power (but it's still limited by projectile saturation)

Some toroidal disadvantages...
  • harder to build, cutting and forming brittle toroidal cores can be tricky
  • pulse can put large mechanical force on brittle core and break it
  • easy to saturate core means input power should be limited or at least carefully chosen
  • limited input power means multistage design would be required to reach higher velocity

I'd suggest improvement by refining the barrel area. A guiding principle of all magnetic machines is to minimize gaps using close tolerance. This reduces fringing and air path when the projectile is fully enclosed. We want the highest saliency ratio in the machine, ie, the largest ratio of maximum inductance to minimum inductance. So the sketch might end up more like this diagram, where the toroid touches the barrel instead of a straight radial cut.
Toroid

Cheers, Barry
We use vaseline during sex. It works great. Just put it on the doorknob and it keeps the kids out.
GhostNull
Thu Jan 28 2010, 11:01AM
With creating the slotted toroid you could use the core from a power toroid/toriodial transformer some use a laminated iron core and aren't brittle at all. You could even you the coils all ready wound on it but then they won't be designed for the capacitors and the other stuff in your coilgun and there would be some internal eddy current as opposed to the powder core.
TheMerovingian
Thu Jan 28 2010, 01:40PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
Using a light toroidal core will waste most of the power in the air since the toroid will saturate, using a heavy toroidal core will raise the inductance and slowen the pulse edge, it may work for low velocity machines with low currents but i doubt that it will give advanmtages in a classical coilgun setup
GhostNull
Fri Jan 29 2010, 10:05AM
what do you mean by light and heavy toroidal core
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: