Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Carl A. Willis (44)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New To This - Looking For Some Advice

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
psychost
Mon Jan 11 2010, 05:50AM Print
psychost Registered Member #2618 Joined: Mon Jan 11 2010, 05:45AM
I'd like to make a self contained coilgun housed in an 18v drill.

I'd like to use the drills battery and switch. I hope that the components such as the coil and charging cirucit will fit with in enclosure.

I would like to use a capacitor bank, I know my way around a camera charging circuit but I believe that using that circuit on a capacitor bank would only lead to slow charging.

So I may have to make one from scratch.. I am taking an electronics class and should for the most part understand any advice or schematics you may post.

As far as power, I'd be happy to get anything to fire :)

I'm unsure of how I would load the projectiles though, with a drill case there really isn't much room to be able to load a projectile.. Any ideas there are also appreciated. Please let me know.
Myke
Mon Jan 11 2010, 06:09AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
I don't know how much space there is but I'd think you could have a handful of disposable camera caps and a SCR packed in there. I don't think you can store that much energy in the caps though. You might want to look at some of the cap chargers for ideas of what others have done.
To load the coil gun, you could drop a projectile down the front of it and have some sort of stopper at the end of the barrel to get the positioning right. Or you could drill a square window into the top of the drill case and drop in the projectile there but that would make the space unusable where the projectile will be loaded. Since the space is so limited, I think front loading would be the best idea.
Barry
Mon Jan 11 2010, 04:10PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
I offer for your amusement my frankenstein of a coilgun built on a handheld drill body: Barry's Mark 1 photo

This first-try project of mine can be viewed with the same horror and fascination as anyone's early teenage photo of being an awkward and gangly pimple-ridden kid. Or with the attitude of "don't do it like this", lol.

Cheers, Barry
When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands. - George Carlin
Mycologist
Mon Jan 11 2010, 08:01PM
Mycologist Registered Member #2413 Joined: Sat Oct 03 2009, 08:27PM
As far as charge speed is concerned, it really is a trade off between energy stored in the bank and speed of charging. For instance I've had some success with a boost converter I whipped up with some leftovers, that can get about 100uF charged to 500V in a few seconds, but once I tried to get it to charge 4000uF to 400V, it took about 45 seconds to get to about 200V. However, a boost converter isn't too hard to put together, especially if you're taking an electronics class, and you'll almost definitely have more success than me with a little more perseverance and effort shades. Uzzors' design is a pretty good starting point.
Link2

Good luck!
psychost
Mon Jan 11 2010, 08:11PM
Thanks for the input..

See my real issue is that I cannot design a case, so I need something pre-made to shove my cirucitry into
Turkey9
Tue Jan 12 2010, 12:54AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
If having an enclosure is the only problem there are many other solutions. If it needs to be portable, then it's a pretty good way to go even though you won't be able to get much power out of a case that size. If it doesn't need to be portable then you can mount it all on a board and have plenty of room to do what you want/need to and room for expansion.

As far as loading you can have the barrel butt up against the back of the case and simply have a hole in the back of the drill. Then you can put the projectile in and maybe have a small magnet to hold the projectile.
psychost
Tue Jan 12 2010, 03:09AM
sounds good, thanks for the help
psychost
Wed Jan 13 2010, 02:13AM
Sorry for double post couldn't edit

What do you think of using this as a case?

Link2
Turkey9
Wed Jan 13 2010, 04:08AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
That could work; looks like there is a good amount of room in there. With airsoft guns you can use the existing barrel supports for your barrel. My first gun case was an airsoft shotgun case. You can also use the clip to house a bunch of disposable camera caps.
psychost
Wed Jan 13 2010, 01:19PM
oh wow :D Thats a great idea with the caps
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: