Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My first coil gun... 100V battery or 100V capasitor?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
tangent1
Thu May 21 2009, 12:12PM Print
tangent1 Registered Member #2130 Joined: Thu May 21 2009, 11:56AM
I am building my first coil gun.But I want to ask something.
If I have some way to connect 64AA batteries ,should I use it directly or connect it to a 100V capacitor?
Barry
Thu May 21 2009, 12:55PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Use the batteries to charge a capacitor. The battery's energy comes from a chemical reaction which is too slow to deliver its energy in just the few milliseconds needed. In contrast, a capacitor's energy comes from an electric field between two plates and is therefore available at very high speed.

Cheers, Barry
I'd like to meet the person who invented sex, and see what they're working on now.
Backyard Skunkworks
Thu May 21 2009, 05:21PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Try to find a 100V capacitor that stores at least 10,000 microfarads if you want youg coilgun to have a decent amount of power, or parallel up several smaller capactiors.

And as Barry said you definatly will need to use a capacitor, the difference in peak current is up to three orders of magnitude.
hotcrazyfruit
Thu May 21 2009, 07:43PM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
connect to a 100v capacitor, the capacitor will discharge in a quick pulse, where as batteries will supply a small amount of current. and lots of current is what makes a good coil gun, as well as a quick pulse.
Wessel
Thu May 21 2009, 11:51PM
Wessel Registered Member #2127 Joined: Wed May 20 2009, 03:35PM
Betteries have this thing called internal resistance, due to the speed at which they produce free electrons. Basically, you add that resistance to whatever the resistance of your circuit is and that's total resistance. It's usually quite small and negligible. However, in a low-resistance circuit, it can be up double the circuit's resistance, hindering the ability to produce large currents.
tangent1
Fri May 22 2009, 01:25PM
tangent1 Registered Member #2130 Joined: Thu May 21 2009, 11:56AM
thanks all. Also,what is the expected time for charging the capasitor? And can I use a magnet as a projectile?
hotcrazyfruit
Fri May 22 2009, 08:02PM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
tangent1 wrote ...

thanks all. Also,what is the expected time for charging the capasitor? And can I use a magnet as a projectile?
the charging time for a capacitor depends on the size of the capacitor (in microfarads) and the amount of current supplied by the charging supply. you may be able to find it on the hv-wiki.
Backyard Skunkworks
Fri May 22 2009, 10:21PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
tangent1 wrote ...

Using a magnet as a projectile tends to produce very odd results. Also, most magnets shatter on impact. Just use regular iron/steel.
Myke
Sat May 23 2009, 12:20AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
The high magnetic field that the magnet would experience might be strong enough to cause the poles to reverse. If not, it will probably demagnetize it.
Barry
Sat May 23 2009, 04:40AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
tangent1 wrote ...

What is the expected time for charging the capacitor?
The charging time depends on the size of the capacitor, and the current from the charging source. If we assume a constant-current charge cycle, then:

t = C * V / I
where t = time in seconds, C = capacitance in farads, V = final voltage, I = current in amps

Some typical values might be something like a 1200 uF @ 250v capacitor charged from a neon sign transformer that limits current to 35 mA. In this fabricated hypothetical example:

t = (0.0012 farads)*(250 volts)/(0.035 amps) = 85 seconds

However, most charging systems are more like a "constant voltage source connected through a current-limiting resistor" than a constant-current source as above. These systems charge quickly at first, and more slowly as the voltage reaches its final value. Read about capacitor charge and discharge here.

For most simple charging systems, we simply calculate the RC time constant. And then assume it is fully charged after three of these RC time constants.

For example, suppose we have a 1200 uF @ 250v capacitor charged from a transformer + diode + 7K resistor. (I chose 7K for comparison because 7K limits the initial charging current to I = V/R = 35 mA.) The charging time t which is "3RC" is:

t = 3 * (7000 ohms)*(0.012 farad) = 252 seconds

So use your own values here, and you can accurately calculate your own charging time.

Cheers, Barry
News Headline: NEW BRIDGE HELD UP BY RED TAPE
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: