bwsparxz (51)
Bonehead (34)
Tetris (27)

Next birthdays
06/29 Wirenut (47)
06/29 Dieu (35)
06/29 M477i3win2 (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rail material for railgun?

Move Thread LAN_403
hotcrazyfruit
Mon Feb 23 2009, 01:26AM Print
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
I just got 5 KJ of capacitors, 400v x 3900 uF nichicon. me and a friend are building a rail gun with them, we have everything planned out, except we don't know what we will use for the rails, aluminum will probably melt every time, copper is a bit to soft, so we thought we would use bronze, although it is still mainly copper, it is harder and stronger. what do you guys think? also, advice for where to get a hockey puk SCR and clamp? (and maybe a price)?
thanks,
rp181
Mon Feb 23 2009, 01:40AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
A SCR capable of 5kJ in a railgun will be expensive. Copper is soft compared with other metals, but it is still hard. It will not affect it. Why would it matter if it is soft?
hotcrazyfruit
Mon Feb 23 2009, 01:58AM
i was thinking corrosion. and i have heard horror stories of people paying lots of money and having the copper absolutely ripped to shreds. i just want it to last. and the thing with bronze is that it contains mostly copper anyways, so it will be nearly just as conductive. just with an added hardness to it. and abou the SCR's, do you have a price range? or a place i can get a quote? thanks
hotcrazyfruit
Mon Feb 23 2009, 01:58AM
also, happy belated.
rp181
Mon Feb 23 2009, 04:00AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
In my 5.6kJ railgun, there was hardly any damage on the rails. Bronze will probably hurt the performance due to its resistance. Now solid silver rails would be nice =)

SCR's capable of repeated shots will probably be past 200$.
Barry
Mon Feb 23 2009, 02:02PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Try Class II or even Class III copper. You can get copper that's been annealed and alloyed to different hardness levels.

According to Pierce Metals Link2 online metal supply company:

• Class I (C11000) is commercially pure copper and is most commonly used for welding fixtures, anodes, bus bar in electrical power installations, ground straps, commutators, etc. It is easily bent, soldered, drilled, riveted and formed to fit almost any design specification.
  • Class II (C18200) combines high electrical conductivity with high strength. Typical uses include welding electrodes, current carrying arms and shafts, circuit breaker parts, and all parts requiring higher strength than commercially pure copper yet requiring high electrical conductivity.
  • Class III (C17510) has high thermal conductivity combined with good hardness, wear resistance and high temperature strength. Machines better than C110 alloy.

I used Class II and was a surprised how hard it was to cut with a hacksaw.

Cheers, Barry
Attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance
hotcrazyfruit
Sat Mar 28 2009, 11:50PM
Its been a while, but i recently found 2 huge bars of zinc in a scrap bin at my dads workplace. they are about 1 inch by 1 inch and about 20 inches long. how well would solid zinc do for rails? they also have lugs at the end, i think they were used for sacrificial anodes of some kind.
Nick,
hvguy
Tue Mar 31 2009, 01:24AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Bronze has about three times the resistance of copper. Copper is historically the best choice for rails. As far as erosion goes; design your gun right and it wouldn't be a very big issue. To be more accurate though, I believe you are referring to arc ablation of the copper, not erosion. Technically, the best material for spark gaps and the like is molybdenum due to it's excellent ablation resistance. It's not practical for rails though as it is not nearly as conductive as copper. Just design you injector right and keep your tolerances tight and you should be fine.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: