Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First time coil gun.

Move Thread LAN_403
Mattc1886
Tue Feb 10 2009, 07:56PM Print
Mattc1886 Registered Member #1968 Joined: Tue Feb 10 2009, 07:47PM
I am very interested in building a low power coil gun. I have been searching online but am having a little trouble finding information for someone with no experience. I would like to build a very basic coil gun using batteries as a power supply before attempting to move to something bigger. Thank you for any help.
teslacoolguy
Tue Feb 10 2009, 08:01PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
Read through Barry's website Link2 there is more then enough information on that site for building your first coilgun. For the power supply i would look into a simple boost converter design like uzzor's made on his website Link2 I hope this helps you a lot.
aonomus
Tue Feb 10 2009, 09:12PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Read the HvWiki (left hand menu) to try and find more information ( Link2 )

Also, use google to look up information, most information is out there on the internet, and here on the forums in older posts. Use google, the search function, and try wikipedia as well. We can only really help people who have done their own background research.
Barry
Tue Feb 10 2009, 09:22PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
In particular, my website has a coilgun powered by two 12v lantern batteries which was built in a cheap plastic toolbox. It gains efficiency by surrounding the coil with laminated iron that was liberated from an old transformer core. It was built in 2003 and I'm still using the same two batteries.

Let me know if you want more photos (e.g. interior views) let me know and I can easily add them to my web site.

I guess I don't really understand the fascination with boost converters. They seem to be popular, but if I want high voltage at decent current then I'll simply use a transformer plus diode bridge. It doesn't get any simpler and easier than that.

Cheers, Barry
The road to success is always under construction.
Mattc1886
Tue Feb 10 2009, 09:57PM
Thanks for your help. Barry your site is very helpful and will hopefully lead to my first coil gun!!! Will probably have lots more questions but for now Im off to get more supplies.
Mattc1886
Thu Feb 12 2009, 07:05PM
I've been trying to wind my coil and so far have been unable to get it as neat and tight as I would like. Does anyone have any useful tips?
KLH
Thu Feb 12 2009, 07:15PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
Mattc1886 wrote ...

I've been trying to wind my coil and so far have been unable to get it as neat and tight as I would like. Does anyone have any useful tips?

How are you winding your coil? Whatever you do, DON'T hold the coilform still and rotate the wire around the coilform. This will twist the wire and evetually it will start to bend and cause your coil to deform. Instead, find a way to hold the spool of wire still but able to rotate (you can use your hands, but something like a toilet paper roll works too). Then rotate the coilform with one hand (which pulls the wire off of the spool), and guide the wire onto the right place.
Mattc1886
Thu Feb 12 2009, 08:01PM
Woops! Thanks for the tip I am going to try using a power drill to turn the form.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: