Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Possible starting point for first coil gun

Move Thread LAN_403
Tman
Wed Dec 03 2008, 04:04AM Print
Tman Registered Member #1842 Joined: Wed Dec 03 2008, 03:10AM
I have a Nerf Firefly nerf gun that has a trigger activated flash. when you pull the trigger a flash like that of a camera goes off. it is usually used to charge glow in the dark darts, but i have other plans. I currently do not have all of the know how necessary for building a coild gun. I'm not asking for help here, but i wanted to point out this oppurtunity. I figure that with a camera flash, and the whine of it charging after each shot that it could be useable. there i would have a capacitor and a trigger built into a gun body. of course there would be some hacking and gutting involved, along with modding for a magazine. do you think the trigger switch could handle the power involved? Here is a link to it if it helps:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=16523&BR=582 Another nice feature is the weaver rail on top. With a open cell foam shim i can fit a single power red dot scope on it and have it sighted in so i can hit a target dead on at 15 feet almost every time.
i do not expect a solid answer, but an educated guess would be appreciated. I understand how a coil gun works, and with a bit of work can understand the circuit layout as i can already read wiring diagrams for cars fairly accurately, and have made some simpler circuits using a few solid state devices. The thing i will be studying up on is how to get the coils to turn on and off at the right points, and how to calculate it. i have not taken physics, or calculus. I could have, but I'm too lazy. I know I'm considered a newbie, but I am no typical newb. With a little help i can go far. I hope my time here is fruitful.
guitardude012
Wed Dec 03 2008, 05:30AM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
You would most likely have to trade trigger switches but a mechanical switch could probably last for a while.

I would consider adding an SCR however and using the built in trigger. You would prob want a 9v for the SCR + AAs for charging.

edit: Looks like it uses 2 AAs already, so you are good there.
Tman
Thu Dec 04 2008, 12:16AM
Tman Registered Member #1842 Joined: Wed Dec 03 2008, 03:10AM
i had an idea last night while trying to sleep. i could mount the coil gun assembly in front of the 8 rotating barrels, and with proper spacing and filling of the barrels for a good fit for the ammo i would have an 8 barrel revolving magazine to solve that issue. I also found out one of the guys i know has made a few simple and weaker coil guns from cameras that fit in his pocket and have very poor range. mainly for experimentation. He might be of some help. how expensive do you think it might get if i want to build a coil gun to shoot through both sides of a pop can at 20 feet? I'm almost 18, and live in the middle of no where and jobs are scarce, especially in this economy. i do a lot of chores to earn a bit of money, and my birthday is coming up 4 days before christmas, so i could get funds that way.
guitardude012
Fri Dec 05 2008, 03:45PM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
Pic of internals(not taken by me)

The main challenge I see so far is that there is limited space for capacitors and their charger. To shoot through both sides of a pop can at 20 feet you would need a bulky capacitor bank and a custom charger unless you can get efficiency higher than most 1st attempts.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: