Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Best method for a multistage?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Killa-X
Wed Dec 03 2008, 03:18AM Print
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Well, I guess it's coming to the time where I'm considering adding a 2nd coil. Whats the best way to trigger the 2nd coil on the exact time for best force? By optical light sensors or physical touch using the bullet to complete the circuit?

Also.. If i want 2 coils.. Is it best to have a fairly small one to boost the object, followed by a large one to accelerate? or should they be fairly the same size?

Would be my first multistage when I actually start on it. It's been awhile since I've updated my single stage test coil since I got this new laptop. Work will resume how ever soon. :)
Turkey9
Wed Dec 03 2008, 03:36AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
just add the next coil and tune it for the most acceleration. Use optical sensors to trigger the coil because a mechanical method, although simpler, would slowly wear down and also is less precise.
Myke
Wed Dec 03 2008, 04:30AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
You want the second coil to have a faster rise time and decay time so that the projectile is accelerated while entering the coil. You want the current to decay quickly so that there isn't any suck back. To get faster rise and decay times you can use a higher voltage and/or less inductance for the rise time and less capacitance for the decay time.

I would just say experiment to see what works best. Then you can fine tune it with calculations (or you could do it the other way around to get an idea of the values you want).
Barry
Wed Dec 03 2008, 02:50PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
I'm a big supporter of optical detectors, rather than mechanical. The problem is that we want to get microsecond timing out of it, but mechanical systems are generally more on millisecond levels. For example, that's one reason we use SCR's instead of relays.

Of course repeatability is the main issue; as long as it's reasonably fast and any built-in delay is absolutely constant from shot to shot, then you can always adjust the distance to the coil to compensate for the delay.

Cheers, Barry
What do elves learn in 1st grade? The elf-abet
Killa-X
Wed Dec 03 2008, 08:33PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Yeah, The first I heard of optical sensors, I was thinking it could be too slow, like a possible delay, also "outside world" lighting might effect.

So like, whats the real design here. A Light sensor (photocell?) and a LED? So when the light is on fully, it has less resistance on the 9V output so it triggers a SCR..? Because I know in mechanical, you dont want the "bullet" to be a spark-gap ignite. You want it to trigger a SCR..

Other than that, I guess with most I seen online, people tend to either have almost similar coil sizes, or 1 big and 1 small..The small usually being the primary.
rp181
Wed Dec 03 2008, 09:40PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
A photo transistor with IR LED works great. A LM339 comparator is good to trigger.
KLH
Thu Dec 04 2008, 07:04PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
Killa-X wrote ...

So like, whats the real design here. A Light sensor (photocell?) and a LED? So when the light is on fully, it has less resistance on the 9V output so it triggers a SCR..?

Like rp181 said, you should use a phototransistor (or a photodiode). A photocell is simply too slow, especially when you build higher power, higher speed coilguns. A phototransistor should be fast enough for most applications, but the fastest coilguns will need the even-faster photodiode.

Phototransistors can also be used almost exactly like photocells. Photodiodes need a current-to-voltage amplifier with high gain (since photodiodes act like current sources).

To trigger the SCR, record the voltage from the phototransistor/diode when the projectile is between the sensor set and use that voltage to trigger a comparator.
big5824
Thu Dec 04 2008, 09:21PM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
what about an LDR? would that switch fast enough?
rp181
Fri Dec 05 2008, 01:02AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
LDR's are slower than transistors. Heres a schematic i made for triggering, that is attached to a delay circuit which you can adjust for best performance (via changing capacitors and resistors). I havnt tested it yet though.

Link2

It's on the bottom of the page.
youngcoilgunner
Fri Dec 05 2008, 04:51AM
youngcoilgunner Registered Member #1633 Joined: Tue Aug 12 2008, 04:21AM
dude, thats one heck of a schematic.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: