Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building "Coil Gun 3"

Move Thread LAN_403
guitardude012
Thu Aug 21 2008, 03:38PM Print
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
Hi everyone,

I decided yesterday to build a third coilgun. This one will be multistaged and my current plans put it at just under 2.5kJ.

Each stage will be 2 3900uF 400v mallory capacitors in parallel.

Does 3/16" bore size for the barrel and 14AWG for the coil sound about right?

Also, I am concerned about using the hobby styrene tubes like I have on previous CG's but the ~1/32" wall is really nice frown

Still trying to plan the right number of turns and coil length.

Any feedback?

Thanks,

Josh
rp181
Thu Aug 21 2008, 11:26PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
that is a really small projectile for that much power. I am making a similar one, but with 4 of those caps each stage. Also, ide try putting the caps in parrallel, it might work better with shorter pulse. I am using a 3/8in barrell, for projectiles just over 1/4in (silicon steel rod i found in sprinkler vavles).

For the coils, i was going to use 2 layers of 12 AWG wire, i think 1.5-2in long, this would give a pulse of almost 8KA. Have you got SCR's yet?

Use barry's RLC sim and inductor sim to plan a coil:

Link2
Link2
guitardude012
Fri Aug 22 2008, 02:21PM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
I'm definitely going with a multistage coilgun this time. I am choosing a smaller boresize to maximize acceleration, as I plan to have very accurate velocity and acceleration readings after each of the 4 coils. This will allow me to modify coil timing and spacing to maximize efficiency.

I will also be doing control in the CG and may modify the last stage to achieve a desired exit velocity below the maximum achievable velocity for more repeatable ballistic effects.

For projectile I will most likely use cold rolled steel for now, it has worked well for me on previous CG's.

Has anyone tried butyrate tube(CAB) for a barrel? It looks like it can be found with wall thickness as low as 1/32".

I have some newer SCRs on the way but am not sure they will do the job. Also have a moderate IGBT on the way that will.

Going to go try the inductor sim now. Barry has been very helpful to me on my previous "Coil Gun 2" =)

Thanks,

Josh

rp181
Fri Aug 22 2008, 08:41PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
smaller projectile doesn't exactly incese acceleration. With too much power, the projectile will saturate, meaning it can't absorb more nergy, wasting all that power, it will just come back as ringback.

You also dont want too thin wall tubes, he compersive forces of the coil might be too much.
Barry
Sat Aug 23 2008, 02:21PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Smaller barrels will tend to increase velocity but yield lower kinetic energy because the efficiency is not as good.

The projectile will saturate when its magnetic field reaches 1 - 2 tesla, so a bigger diameter means much bigger cross-sectional area, which means it can carry much higher total flux.

14AWG sounds a little thin for the higher power levels you've got. I'd suggest also trying a 12AWG coil and see what happens.

Series vs parallel caps? As long as the pulse timing is right and the circuit's ESR is low enough, then it doesn't really matter. The total stored energy is the same regardless of how they're wired. It's a practical issue where some configurations can use cheaper switches than others, or be marginally safer to work around. In my totally wild-assed guess, the first stage or two might benefit from parallel caps where the lower ESR will improve peak current levels and the timing is still relatively slow. But in later stages you'll need a mighty short discharge pulse and parallel caps are likely to be too slow; look at series caps and higher charge voltage for those stages.

Hope this helps. Sounds like a great project!
Barry
You only have to know three things to be an electrical engineer:
  • E = IR
  • P = VI
  • It don't work until you turn it on

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: