All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wanting to build more aerodynamic projectile for disc launcher

Move Thread LAN_403
w1vlf
Sun May 11 2008, 03:13AM Print
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hello,
I hae been launching a 2-1/4" dia. 1/4" thick AL disc for a while now and the best I can get is a 6 sec round trip time.

The disc althought it travels straight up off the launch pad, is spinning like a flipped coin.

As the velocity drops, the higher it goes, the projectile suddenly curves off to the left due to the spin. This happens quite reliably. I thing there is a deformity in the coil.

But heres the deal. I thought I would glue 1/2 of a tennis ball or other suitable domed object to the top of the AL slug, and then have a fiberglass tube attached to the bottom of the slug. The fiberglass tube would hang straight down and go through the hole in the coil.

The AL slug would lay directly on top of the coil. The fiberglass tube could be part of an arrow. Hopefully this would help the projectile travel up in a straight line. I am guessing the projectile would come straight down and land on the tennis ball.

Mabey an evolution would be a cone type nose instead of a dome later.

My goal is to eventually launch the "dart " for distance and accuracy.

Any comments or suggestions???

Thank you
PC
W1VLF
Sun May 11 2008, 03:30AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
If you want 'stable' flight, you would be better off adding some fins. Keeping in mind that an object in flight always rotates arround the center of gravity, you need something that will be a 'restoring force' to push the object back to strait flight. See Link2 for more info.

Quantum Singularity
Sun May 11 2008, 11:43AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I too had disks spinning violently with some of my past induction launchers, and yeah they spun worse as the coils became more deformed. In fact, that’s how I managed to sink that 5" hard drive disk in my avatar into some barn boards... at about a distance of 10' the disk had already rotated 90* so it was on edge and managed to seriously punch in.

You could try to do similar to FastMHz and make rockets similar to model rockets but with the aluminum slug attached to the base. I tried to attach some various domed plastic containers and similar before, but pretty much every attempt I tried resulted in failure at energies much over 500-1000J. I was thinking about turning down a piece of wood into a nose cone, or perhaps getting a small metal lathe and turning some aluminum stock. That’s probably what I'll do once I get moved into my new house (though it might be some time before I can spend money again lol). You can get various diameter aluminum rod cuttings of ebay for cheap, I've got several sizes, just need the lathe.
w1vlf
Sun May 11 2008, 01:35PM
Tristan,
First I have to say ..that is a great picture of the disc embeddded into the barn boards!!! Makes one think about force that is a our finger tips when playing with these things.

1) Did the plastic nose cone work before it destroyed it self? I mean did it help stablilize the disc and there by increase height?

Thanks for the tip on the Ebay AL stock, I have indeed purchased some, several sizes, from this my friend machined the projectiles and the winding fixtures.

PauLC

Quantum Singularity
Sun May 11 2008, 03:10PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
You might be able to come up with some sort of plastic nose cone that might work. The things I tried were just to flimsy or I didnt attach them good enough. For example I remember trying a tomato container, which is round and a hemisphere shape but it split apart upon launch. With a bit stiffer plastic that is better secured to the aluminum, it might work better. Just remember that for aerodynamics, you want a projectile thats longer than it is wide, this isnt so common around the house I've found. And with the sharp acceleration the method of attachment needs to be good.

Oh and thanks for the compliment... that disk ending up in the board (actually roof board in the garage) was an accident that could have ended much worse. Thankfully it stuck in and didnt ricochet around the building which you'd think would be a much more probably result... that launch was using one of my big maxwells and the switch didnt trigger properly to fire it, and I didnt have any kind of backup at the time so we manually bridged the switch with the chicken stick... could potentially have been near or even over full charge ~6kJ. Wont ever use the maxwells again without a quality trigger and safety and monitoring, etc, etc. (all of which I am working on though... I do plan on using the maxwells again sometime in the future, its sad that they have been sitting unused for probably 10 years now).
w1vlf
Sun May 11 2008, 05:11PM
Hey Peter, Thanks for that link. I understand about restoring force and CG now. Also went to your page and saw that your rockets get subjected to in excess of 50G's

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: