All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Varicoil coilgun design thoughts

Move Thread LAN_403
ThreeGigs
Fri May 02 2008, 03:08AM Print
ThreeGigs Registered Member #1224 Joined: Fri Jan 11 2008, 03:11PM
Longtime reader but first time poster here. I've been rattling an idea around my head about a different approach to a coilgun design, and I'd like to bounce my thoughts off of the community here.

First though, I'd like to make sure I'm understanding a particular principle correctly. It's actually quite difficult to find any sort of generalized performance data or 'rules of thumb' for reluctance coilguns. From what I can gather, there's an optimum length ratio between a projectile and a single coil, based solely on peak force applied to the projectile at a given power level. I'm thinking in terms of a solenoid here, not necessarily something designed to shoot anything.

My best guesstimate is that a coil should be either the same length as a projectile, or twice as long as the projectile, and that the peak force will occur just bfore the projectile fully enters the coil windings. In theory, applying a current pulse with about 2/3 of the projectile in the coil would result in the greatest acceleration. In reality, current reversal, suckback and pulse length all throw monkey wrenches into the equation. But, if one were to apply say 400 volts at 1 amp constant power into a coil of say 10 cm length, with a projectile of 5 cm length, then the greatest 'pull' on the projectile will occur with only about 1 mm of the projectile outside the coil. However there's a range of overlap between coil and projectile that yields numbers close to peak, and I *think* that range starts at about 70% of the projectile being in the coil, and continues until 30% of the projectile is past the midpoint in a coil twice the projectile length. I *think* that that's where the peak efficiency of the system happens.

Now, if you could move the coil, such that as the projectile accelerates the coil would always be just ahead of the end of the projectile, you'd get the maximum delta v over a given distance. Naturally if you can accelerate the coil, you could just accelerate the projectile and do away with all the magnetism.

And this is where my idea comes in.

Imagine a 100 cm long coil of a single layer using 1mm thick wire (including insulation, just to make numbers simpler). You'd have 1000 turns of wire.
Now, if you connected turn 1 to one terminal of a power supply, and connected the other terminal to a tap on turn 100, you'd have a 10 cm long coil, which is a subsection of that longer coil. You could connect another power supply to turns 50 and 150, another to 80 and 180, etc. Depending on which power supply you connected, you could 'move' the active portion of the coil.

So, my thinking goes like this:

Make a coil as above, about 1 meter long.
On one side, you connect IGBTs to every 30th turn of wire, stopping at 90 cm (900 turns). You feed all those IGBTs from a common busbar.
Same thing on the other side, an IGBT tapped in every 30th turn, starting at turn 100 and going through to the end. The other side of those IGBTs connects to another common busbar.

Connect both busbars to a DC power source.

What you've got now is something like a multi-tap transformer, only it's a multi-tap coil. You can energize an arbitrary portion of the coil in units of 3 cm. So you could have a 12cm long coil from 1 to 12 cm. And a millisecond later a 12 cm coil between 3cm and 15 cm.

If you have 30 IGBTs feeding and 30 IGBTs grounding, with the ability to pick any two IGBTs to feed current through, you'd effectively have a 30 stage coilgun. And if the timing is right, there won't be any suckback because once the projectile goes past the middle of the energized section, you'd simply de-energize the first subsection of the coil (one tap's worth), and energize another tap after the end.

Benefits (unless my understanding is flawed):
Better efficiency.
Higher acceleration in a given distance as compared to multi-coil guns, since the virtual coils are effectively overlapping.
Ability to change coil length on the fly to suit different projectiles.

Thoughts? Criticicism? Potential improvements?
Berni
Fri May 02 2008, 08:17AM
Berni Registered Member #1132 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 06:15PM
This is basicly a multistage coilgun, but with a diferent aproach

Isted of useing one big coil and makeing taps rather make a few independant coils and then put some kind of trigers betwen them(optical gates,contacts or even spakgaps)So then evry one of these trigers is conected to the coil next to it so when the projectile hits the triger that means its in the perfect position and the coil fires.This way you only need one switch per coil and its proabobly better to use a SCR since they handle the huge pulse currents better.

And yes this dose inprove efficiency over a single stage design.

Further inprovment can be made by giving the projectile a small starting speed by punching it out with a high speed selonoid
ThreeGigs
Fri May 02 2008, 11:37PM
ThreeGigs Registered Member #1224 Joined: Fri Jan 11 2008, 03:11PM
so when the projectile hits the triger that means its in the perfect position and the coil fires

See, that's my thinking. 30 10cm long coils would be 3 meters (10 feet) long, if end to end.
But with my idea, you effectively wind up with multiple 'overlapping' coils. With a multi-stage gun using 10cm long coils, you'd get one 'perfect' position every 10cm. My design would allow you to move the 10cm energized zone in increments of 3cm, thus more 'perfect positions' per meter, yielding higher acceleration for a given length.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: