All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Diode-resistor : Choosing the resistance value

Move Thread LAN_403
OwlFowl
Thu Apr 24 2008, 03:17AM Print
OwlFowl Registered Member #1441 Joined: Sun Apr 13 2008, 03:40PM
Hi again!

After a long time of figuring out what type of snubber circuit I should use, I've finally decided to use the parallel diode-resistor variation to cut down decay time instead of the v switch or the half bridge for pure simplicity.
According to here, the value of the resistor is determined by the supply voltage, current at turn-off, and the maximum switching device (in my case it's an SCR) voltage. I've really tried to find an equation to find the safe resistance value for my system, but I find them very vague.

I would like to know the relation between these variables so I can calculate the resistance value by myself smile *I'm guessing I'll need a very, very high watt but low resistance resistor.

Thx in advance
Thu Apr 24 2008, 07:11AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Basically, you need to make the resistor large enough so that your reverse diode does not explode when it tries to stop the reverse pulse it is designed to.

So, that in mind, you need to figure out what the maximum current pulse your diode is rated for (this is usually about 10x the average current), and then the maximum reverse voltage you expect to see (this depends on the ESR and ESL of your caps/work coil/buss/etc).

The latter value can be tricky to calculate, but if you provide more details on the system we should be able to point your in the correct direction...
OwlFowl
Fri Apr 25 2008, 01:59AM
OwlFowl Registered Member #1441 Joined: Sun Apr 13 2008, 03:40PM
Hmm I'm a bit confused on this part. In HvWiki, it says that the resistor value is limited by the switch voltage since a high resistance value creates a higher voltage spike of the switch. So am I also looking at how much voltage my switch can handle also?

I think my whole concept of the diode-resistor setup is wrong. From what I've gathered my concept is that a diode can be placed anti-parallel with the coil to circulate the current after turn-off instead of negatively charging the caps. Or that a resistor can be placed in series with the diode which is anti-parallel to the coil in order to decay the current every time it loops around. Is that right? Or is my whole concept completely wrong..

Well...
diode: 600V, 1500A pulse
SCR: 600V, 650A pulse
caps: 400V, 470uf
coil: supposed to be 12 layers 18awg 9mm inner diameter so that's 0.5 ohms, 1.13 mH, 293 Amps which hits zero at 4ms and goes maximum down to -140V, -100A

I still want to calculate my own resistance value even if it's tricky, though neutral
Fri Apr 25 2008, 02:15AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The wiki is somewhat misleading, the voltage that you use for your switch only indirectly affects the resistance of the snubber resistor in the sense that the higher the voltage you use the higher the reverse voltage will be.

The main factor to use to calculate the resistance of the resistor is the maximum current the diode can handle. If you have an inductor, the current that it will put out is the current you used to charge it (300A) divided by the resistance. If you can handle 1500A you would need .2ohms of resistance, which is less than the resistance of your coil so you should have no worries.

The other idea to consider is the maximum voltage reversal that your caps can handle. Luckly, since you are not adding any resistance this value is only that voltage drop across the diode, which is about 2v, which shouldn't give you any problems.
TheMerovingian
Fri Apr 25 2008, 01:24PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
You need to make sure that the switch voltage isn't exceeded even in worst case:

Switch voltage is:

Before firing: Vcap (initial cap voltage)
During firing: Vforward (or I* Rmosfet), it is in the 5-10V range
After firing (during turn-off): Vswitch = Vcap-residual+ R*I+Vdiode (with I decaying exponentially depending on L/(R+Rcoil) ratio)
Final voltage= Vcap-residual.

To know worst case Vswitch voltage you need to RLC-simulate the circuit to know the peak current, then use this formula to determine the correct resistor (wirewound) value:

Vwcswitch = Vcap + R*Ipeak , so choose R accordingly. It is a worst case value, because at Ipeak, Vcap will be smaller, but this leaves a bit of room for safety.
Alternatively use my RLC simulator, that includes peak switch voltage during turn-off

Coilgun simulator

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: