Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rogowski coil construction

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
aonomus
Mon Jan 26 2009, 05:30PM Print
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
So I've been doing some reading on various members rogowski coils that they've made and found a few PDFs which left me with a few questions... I'm trying to build a rogowski coil to measure current in my CG, and my future cap bank.

1. How many windings and of what gauge? They need to be evenly distributed and from what I've seen most people have used fairly fine stuff, but higher windings generally means larger output voltage range? Target
2. Active vs passive integrators, how hard is it to build one over the other since I'd like to have multiple-uses (mostly CG/pulse usage).
3. Link2 describes target inductance at about 200-300nH, is this a solid number, or can it vary?

Overall I've just seen formulae and pictures of construction, however I don't understand [multivariate] calculus so I get confused when trying to figure out the math behind it all. What I'm looking for is something, anything with some solid values to work from since I can't figure out the calculations :S. Sorry if it seems like I'm digging for answers but I've seen Rogowski coils pop up all over the place with no listed values...

Related links:
Link2
Link2

Proud Mary
Mon Jan 26 2009, 05:38PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Let us suppose that the output from the coil is a very fast, steep, transient - I wondered how you intended to record that.
aonomus
Mon Jan 26 2009, 05:46PM
Harry wrote ...

Let us suppose that the output from the coil is a very fast, steep, transient - I wondered how you intended to record that.

Either use a sound card oscilloscope (first guess), or worse case scenario, borrow a DSO from an acquaintance.

My discharges should be in the range of milliseconds. Sound cards can handle well into 15-20kHz which means a resolution down to 0.0x ms. I'd likely use extra isolation just in case* but I think the sound card scope should work for this purpose.
Dalus
Mon Jan 26 2009, 05:51PM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
Might be handy and easy --> Link2
aonomus
Mon Jan 26 2009, 11:46PM
I could never really find the schematic for what TDU made... thanks Dalus.

As for the coil itself, its simply a function of winding it, and calibrating correct?
Steve Conner
Tue Jan 27 2009, 12:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If I remember right, the mutual inductance between a Rogowski coil and the conductor it encircles, is just the loop area of a turn, times the number of turns, times the permeability of free space.

You don't need to be Stephen Hawking to work out the calibration coefficient from that and the time constant of your integrator.
aonomus
Tue Jan 27 2009, 12:12PM
Stephen Hawking can't move his hands so I suppose he'd have trouble building a rogowski coil -.-

Also I see the term (n x A x Uo) coming up in alot of the forumula ( Link2 ). Now things are starting to come together (I didn't even know what Uo was (google returned crap about ultima online).
Steve Conner
Tue Jan 27 2009, 03:21PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, it's too bad that keyboards don't come with Greek letters and subscripts. Try googling "mu nought" instead.

If I remember right, the sensitivity of a Rogowski coil with an integrator is:

(Vout/I) =(1/RC)*(n*A*u0)

and if using a passive "integrator" you should also choose RC such that the time constant is at least 10 times longer than the phenomenon you're trying to measure.

I used them to measure Tesla coil primary currents (over 5kA peak in my OLTC experiments) and I used a passive integrator with a break frequency (1/(2*pi*RC)) one-tenth of the coil's resonant frequency. There are details in the old forum archives somewhere.
aonomus
Wed Jan 28 2009, 01:54AM
So today I bought 20 ft of RG6 coax and spent a little while stripping a little under 12" of sheath, braid, and foil to get to the dielectric (also put the BNC connector on the other end). Tomorrow when I get any free time, I'll wind the entire length with 30AWG magnet wire (leftover wire).

I also bought a metal case, small transformer, and some other bits, I'll have to find 1% resistors and pick decent opamps for the integrator (I'm going to go with active). Any recommended 'budget' opamps? I've looked at a few and they are all $10-20/per

One other question is whether or not I should ground the metal case or not, on one hand I have a AC transformer inside, but on the other hand I don't want to form any freaky ground loops with any equipment. Should the shield of the rogowski coil be grounded as well?
rp181
Thu Jan 29 2009, 02:01AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
cool! now you don't need to double post =p
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: