Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help - railgun project

Move Thread LAN_403
lewylln
Mon Oct 25 2010, 09:54AM Print
lewylln Registered Member #3358 Joined: Mon Oct 25 2010, 09:47AM
For the last year i have researched railguns, coilguns etc and have finaly begun construction of my railgun. i have the circuit functioning, the charging works, got good rails and all. When i came to test fire, the projectile didnt budge. im using 8 caps from cameras, so around 8x300v (unsure on capacitance). instead of firing as it should/as i planned, the current burnt the plates and projectile and there was zero movement. im unsure as to why this is and need some input, possible reasons? any way to make sure the circuit is shortin etc

ps ill see if i cant upload some photos within a week but camera is stuffed
Artikbot
Mon Oct 25 2010, 10:39AM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
Well you need INSANE amounts of energy (8 camera caps store around 60J, nowhere near the energy you need to fire like 1g of aluminium) for a railgun to fire "with a pair of eggs". Also, you need to make sure your plates are going to resist the fricion+temperature+power going across them.
The projectile (ball?) should be a tight fit with the rails but not too tight or it will not slide with low powers.

Also, did you wire everything in the right polarity? If you invert voltages the pellet will fly backwards (right hand rule). Remember you're essentially treating your pellet like some kind of an electron and making it go into a constant EM field to make it move.
GhostNull
Mon Oct 25 2010, 11:11AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
Hahaha Artikbot, you remind me of when I was newbie ^^

Is actually is possible. A guy made a working very mini rail gun using 640uF of photo caps: Link2 ignore is spammy comments of moar power and that is all the info you need!

Best of luck ^^
-Ken
Artikbot
Mon Oct 25 2010, 11:18AM
Just in two words... WO-AH xD

You know Ken, you're making me want to fill up my house with weird machines and strange apparatus O.O

To the OP, keep going with this, I'll follow it very closely (and why not, make one too :P).

Good luck!!
lewylln
Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:49PM
thanks, when i can ill add the remaining caps i have, i got like 50 disposable cameras XP I just didnt want to start of by killing myself
Artikbot
Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:21PM
It's a good idea to have a modular design.

For example, let's say you have those 50 caps, but instead of arranging them in a full 50 parallel single bank, you can make, let's say, 6 smaller banks consisting of 8 caps each, or 5 banks consisting on 10 caps, or whatever.

That way you can always remove/install power with an incredible ease, leading to a more flexible solution. Maybe when you're testing it just to see if it works you won't want to have full 50 caps connected, so you connect 20 or so and you have enough.

Easier to handle also... Working with smaller modules is easier than working with one beefy huge bank xD
GhostNull
Mon Oct 25 2010, 11:06PM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
REMEMBER your safety!

Never touch the capacitor bank or anything connected to it, whether charged or not. If you must, then short the capacitor connections together.

Have fun but be safe
-Ken
lewylln
Wed Oct 27 2010, 04:30AM
haha dw i know my electrical safety, i've been doin this kind of thing since i was like 8 XP once bitten twice shy, and in this case my first serving of knife in a toaster (not actually but same volt/current) was enough to keep my conscious about what im dealing with for a long time
lewylln
Wed Oct 27 2010, 06:49AM
any other tips or peices of advice by ppl who have worked on this kind of thing would b apprecaited as well

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: