Bill G (64)
Overclocked (37)
Edi (31)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

RADFET

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat Oct 16 2010, 09:58PM Print
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Could anyone kindly give me a part number for a small signal enhancement mode P-Channel MOSFET with an aluminium gate?

Thank you! smile
plazmatron
Sun Oct 17 2010, 12:04AM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Any specific reason for having an Aluminium gate?
The original RADFET design doesnt seem to give a good reason for having an Aluminum gate, except, that at the time such gates were in common use.

From the stuff I have read, modern RADFET`s use p-channel mosfet structures with polysilicon gates. I would be inclined to try out a bunch of p-channel MOFETS and see what happens.

Proud Mary
Sun Oct 17 2010, 09:43AM
Thank you for that, Les. smile

I'm still learning about oxide trapping, and the differences between thin and thick oxide as they relate to neutron and gamma dosimetry, so had assumed an aluminium gate was an actual necessity, as recent researchers are still talking about it.
Steve Conner
Sun Oct 17 2010, 04:21PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
As far as I know, only expensive RF power MOSFETs have aluminium gates nowadays. Aluminium has a lower resistivity than polysilicon, and that gives much better high frequency performance. If there were any cheap ones, Richie would have jumped on them for his Class-E SSTC work.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a polysilicon gate, though.

Or maybe you meant Radfest, the radioactive equivalent of a Teslathon? smile
Proud Mary
Sun Oct 17 2010, 08:11PM
Thanks for that Steve. smile

I'm going to use the circuit below, with a chopper stabilized op amp.

The MOSFET, inside an EM and thermal shield, will stick out of one end of a termperature controlled poured lead slab inside a diecast aluminium box.

From my beginner's understanding of the RADFET literature, this is yer actual Gy/hr gizmo, so I may be able to do a tertiary calibration job on it with my Philips X-ray Photometer - assuming I can find a MOSFET that works in this application.

1287345201 543 FT0 Radfet Circuit Upload
plazmatron
Sun Oct 17 2010, 08:56PM
"As an alternative to a RADFET, a commercial off-the-shelf transistor is used for the dosimeter 24 . Commercial off-the-shelf transistors are manufactured in high volume and sold for use in different applications. Parts are generally available and typically have a constant design over the many years that they remain in production. For example, p-channel transistors manufactured by Fairchild under product names BSS84 and FDC5614P are used. Other transistors by other manufacturers with the same, similar or different characteristics may be used. Since the dosimeter 24 is not used to regulate patient dosage, a device subject to regulatory approval may not be necessary. Other devices having desired linear, non-linear, experimentally determined or known characteristics as a function of dosage may be used. "

From US patent number: 7372942

Both types are available from RS components, at 20 odd pence a go.

smile
Proud Mary
Sun Oct 17 2010, 09:23PM
Why, thank you very much, Les.

Just what I was hoping to hear! smile

Reminds me of how I found out from a patent that the photodiode BPX65 could be used - and was being used at Harwell - in dosimetry right down to a few keV if you took the lens out.

plazmatron
Sun Oct 17 2010, 09:29PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Why, thank you very much, Les.

Just what I was hoping to hear! smile

Reminds me of how I found out from a patent that the photodiode BPX65 could be used - and was being used at Harwell - in dosimetry right down to a few keV if you took the lens out.

You're welcome!

I figured someone tighter than us might have tried to design something using off the shelf components, to save a buck!
Imagine the markup you could make on a 26p component, by calling it a radiation dosimeter in a glossy pamphlet!
Proud Mary
Mon Oct 18 2010, 11:04AM
plazmatron wrote ...

I figured someone tighter than us might have tried to design something using off the shelf components, to save a buck!
Imagine the markup you could make on a 26p component, by calling it a radiation dosimeter in a glossy pamphlet!

Farnell's best price for BSS84 is £0.166 each for UK stock. These prices would seem to bring all sorts of detector arrays within reach:

Stacked RADFETs for increased radiation sensitivity

O'Connell, B.; Kelleher, A.; Lane, W.; Adams, L.;

Radiation and its Effects on Components and Systems, 1995. RADECS 95., Third European Conference
18-22 Sep 1995 pp: 481 - 486

Abstract

Hitherto, pMOS Radiation Sensitive Field Effect Transistors (RADFETs) have not been able to detect doses in the milli-rad range, which are required for low dose clinical/personnel applications. This paper reports on further investigation of a design approach, where RADFETs are connected in a stacked sequence so that increased radiation sensitivity is obtained. The radiation sensitivity obtained for 40 stacked RADFETs is approximately 220 times the single RADFET sensitivity. This enables radiation sensitivities in the milli-rad range to be measured. Theoretical equations governing the threshold voltage of a MOS device as a function of bulk-source voltage are used to theoretically evaluate the output voltage of the stacked structure. Measurement and theory are found to agree closely in this analysis. % drift and % fading of the single RADFET, as a function of total radiation induced shift in VT, is similar to that of the stacked structure

SicelTech
Tue Oct 19 2010, 01:25AM
SicelTech Registered Member #3333 Joined: Tue Oct 19 2010, 12:41AM
Tyndall Labs in Cork or REM in UK sells RadFETs that have Al gates and 400nm up to 1000nm gate oxide oxides. The oxide thickness determines to a large extent the sensitivity of the device. You've found papers by Len Adams and you can also look for papers by Andrew Holmes-Siedle. The sensitivity is most directly tied to the thickness of the oxide and the bias (or E-field) across the gate. Sensitivities of 0.5mV/cGy (no bias) to 1.5mV/cGy (9V bias) are possible on these devices. The cGy unit is newer unit and is used because it's the same as the rad which was the old unit. Off the shelf devices which do not have a fairly thick oxide will not work as well and will not be as sensitive. The Adams stacked RadFET design was done using 400 and 1000nm oxides and got 84mV/cGy (rad).
Hope you operate at ZTC zero temperature coefficient (in your Adams paper). That will provide the most reliable data. The poly-Si gates work as well because the oxide is doing the trapping (oxide is a sea of dangling bonds which are oxide traps). The poly-si gates have a different threshold transition due to the different work function.

Cheers
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: