Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Where to buy second hand (or cheap) SCR's in NZ or online?

Move Thread LAN_403
V3rge
Wed Sept 29 2010, 12:53AM Print
V3rge Registered Member #3253 Joined: Wed Sept 29 2010, 12:21AM
Hi guys, first post here.
I've been trying to build a coilgun for a long while now, after I found a great deal on 6x EPCOS 450V 4700uF caps for $10NZD each in excellent condition (very difficult to find components like this here)! I plan on only using 1 for my first portable coilgun, and I have already built my my V1 charging circuit which has a power output a little worse then id hoped but it works well.

The main problem I am having now is finding a well priced SCR that I can punish, and I cringe at the prices of the new ones since I am a stundent, and students have no money :S. I have been conistently searching the national auction site (in New Zealand) for over a year now, and most of the SCR's aren't suitable or overpriced (there may be 1 or 2 new auction listings for SCR's every month).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any electronic surplus websites that sell and used power electronic components, specifically high power SCR's and IGBT's. I am really looking for something that completely shadows my induced stress levels, preferably rated over or around 1kV and 2kA surge, since I would like to use it in other applications.

Anyone have any suggestions? (I don't want to resort to a mechanical switch, since I am now very scared of capacitor discharges angry)
Troy
Thu Sept 30 2010, 08:14PM
Troy Registered Member #3194 Joined: Tue Sept 14 2010, 04:16AM
I don't know about websites that specifically sell surplus or "pre-owned" electronic components, but one possibility would be to look on either ebay for the components OR research items that use those components and buy those used and harvest what you need out of that. I was working on a coil gun project in Iraq and since shipping takes so long to get there I did the same thing for simple power bus boards from old radio charging stations...Just and idea though
fatboyslim
Thu Oct 21 2010, 12:51AM
fatboyslim Registered Member #1779 Joined: Sat Oct 25 2008, 11:05AM
Hi

I live in NZ and also have the same problem. As students we dont have much money and trademe is useless for decent components. What i would usually do is search up on ebay. Usually the power sellers as they will have free shipping. I had got some 4x IRFP460 mosfets from ebay and it only cost me $NZ8. If you had to but them here, there like 10 dollars each. Ebay would be your best solution, and also the cheapest as the exchange rate is fairly strong from what it used to be
El_Roberto
Mon Nov 15 2010, 09:16AM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
I'm living in New Zealand and I'm selling all my old coilgun gear - so I have 10 high power SCR's for sale $5ea (and 14 2900MFD 250v capacitors). I think the SCR's are 1200v and some are 2KA for 10 microsecond and the others 5KA, these specs are off the top of my head if anyone in NZ is interested send me a PM and ill find out full specs and post pics.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: