Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR as a coil switch

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Troy
Thu Sept 23 2010, 04:35AM Print
Troy Registered Member #3194 Joined: Tue Sept 14 2010, 04:16AM
So, I'm starting another coil gun project, three stages optically triggered. The idea is that each coil will run just over 1300V. To switch that kind of load I understand that an SCR would be prefered over a standard relay. I've breadboarded a working optical sensor that correctly triggers a relay, but having some difficulty in figuring out how to wire an SCR in place of the relay to switch on 1300+V. Any ideas or suggestions? sample schematics would be helpful as well to visualize if at all possible... Thanks ahead of time all! The attached schematic I'm working off I found on Link2, great website!
1285216430 3194 FT0 Ir Detector Relay Driver
Troy
Thu Sept 23 2010, 05:52AM
Think I might have figured it out after much reading and googling. Attached is a schematic that I think is a possible solution. Inputs always welcome!
1285221140 3194 FT97149 Hv Drive With Ir Sensor And Scr
GhostNull
Thu Sept 23 2010, 06:38AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
Yep, that looks good. Just make sure that you meet/do not exceed the gate drive current/voltage; Consult the datasheet of your SCR.
And with your capacitors, if you are putting them in series to get the voltage then make sure you add some balancing resistors.

Otherwise that looks fine. Good job. =) It's nice to see that someone is doing their own rescearch smile

Cheers
-Ken
Troy
Thu Sept 23 2010, 06:28PM
Thanks for reply, Ghost. When looking for SCRs, I'm looking to match the gate drive voltage requirement with the operating power requirement for the LM393 (the current will be provided, theoretically, but the 3906 - breadboarding will determine if that is even needed).

But then shopping at, say, mouser.com, aside from the gate trigger voltage, what is parameter do I need to focus on for a forward biased SCR? Rapid Repetative Off Voltage or Rapid repetative forward blocking voltage? Thinking maybe the last one would be my primary objective now that I think a little more about it....
GhostNull
Fri Sept 24 2010, 01:10PM
Oops, I just found a small problem with you circuit, the SCR-K diodes should be the other way around.

There should be a gate current rating (Igt) on the datasheet or a gate power rating (Pg...). Get the output power to be at least the gate current but don't exceed the gate power rating.

It would be a good idea to test the circuit before puting in on your coilgun. Put the SCR in series with a 12v lamp or some indicator and a 12v source. Then you can test it to make sure it works first
Troy
Fri Sept 24 2010, 09:42PM
Good catch! I've got some Neon lamps I could test in place of the coil for the time being. As much of a pain in the butt it is to wind a coil and custome etch PCBs, I'm all about the breadboard and testing.
GhostNull
Sat Sept 25 2010, 07:15AM
Great, I hope to see some results soon =D
Troy
Wed Oct 06 2010, 03:32AM
The SCRs finally came in from Mouser, so I wired it all up on my breadboard, flipped the switch on the power supply, loaded a round in the face of the barrel, broke the IR beam aaaaannnndd....

nuthin'!

A few observations:

1.I noticed when I powered on both boards - the HV board and IR sensor board - there is about 1.5VDC constant output from the collector of the 3906. this jumps to around 4.5/5VDC when the beam is broken. With power going to just the IR sensor board the collector output with a closed beam is 0VDC. Somehow, somewhere there is a stray voltage complicating things

2. With both boards powered on (and getting the stray voltage) when I break the IR beam, the capacitors apparently discharge slowly because the NE lamp fads out over about 1-2 seconds and the round doesn't move (obviously).

I think the stray voltage may have something to do with a common ground since I'm using a converted ATX power supply. Here is an updated schematic.

For testing purposes I'm using lower voltages, especially on the HV converted. The data sheet for the SCR said that the max Gate trigger voltage was 2.5VDC but with the 1.5V stray and the lowest 3906 output I can produce with my power supply being 4VDC I'm thinking there might be an issue in there somewhere.
GhostNull
Wed Oct 06 2010, 12:17PM
Um, what? I can't really understand what you're saying. Could you rephrase that?
Troy
Wed Oct 06 2010, 05:23PM
Well, after a few hours of troubleshooting I just decided to with a standard high current relay instead of using the SCR. Granted, these will wear out faster than an SCR, but in bench testing it seemed to work just fine so thats what I'm sticking with for now.

Its always satisfying to see the fruits of your labor start to pay off!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: