Bill G (64)
Overclocked (37)
Edi (31)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

reciving fm using a LP reciver

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mon Sept 20 2010, 12:45AM Print
803 Registered Member #2807 Joined: Fri Apr 16 2010, 08:10PM
I had a 1980s goldstar fm rado and I was playing the 500,000 watt tranmitter station (95.7). also, I had a 1960s radio with 25 solid state devices. It had AM, HP (high police) LP (low police) and i was listing to the LP, at 32-25 mhz. Amazingly I was hearing 95.7! But, when I turn the goldstar off , the LP doesn't play 95.7 anymore! So, even when the volume is turned off for the goldstar, the Lp radio still plays! So I guess the goldstar is retransmitting the fm radio at around 33 mhz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wierd, eh?
Adam Munich
Mon Sept 20 2010, 02:05AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
803 wrote ...

I was playing the 500,000 watt tranmitter station (95.7).

Wait what?
Chris Russell
Mon Sept 20 2010, 04:21AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Grenadier wrote ...

803 wrote ...

I was playing the 500,000 watt tranmitter station (95.7).

Wait what?

There is a 500kW FM radio station nearby; he was listening to it.

Sounds like a spurious signal for sure. Perhaps the third harmonic of the Goldstar's IF? (10.7Mhz * 3 = 32.1MHz)
Adam Munich
Mon Sept 20 2010, 04:27AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Ahh... I thought he had a 500kW transmitter. Unrelated, I went to an FM radio station myself a while ago just to see how many harmonics I could pick up. I ended up getting 3 on the FM band and one on the VHF band.

But yeah I think Chris hit the nail on the head.
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 20 2010, 08:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sounds like the Goldstar radio is leaking local oscillator.
Mon Sept 20 2010, 07:17PM
Well, the goldstar is around 30 years old! LG was fourmed when 2 korean companies fourmed, lucky and goldstar. The 1960s radio when picking up 95.7, there was alot of static and most of the time the audio was wierd and funny. Does anyone know if the lower police and high police radio band is still used?

PAul
Chris Russell
Mon Sept 20 2010, 08:33PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
I'm not sure what your radio designates the high police radio band, so I'm not sure if it's still in use. The low band, 32-35MHz is still in use, but not commonly.

These frequencies work better in hilly or mountainous environments than VHF, because the waves are more prone to diffracting around obstacles (VHF is commonly considered line-of-sight only). Their range is also somewhat greater, for the same reason: the waves diffract over the horizon to a greater degree. Unfortunately, there are also some pretty big disadvantages. A 32 MHz antenna is physically much larger than a 155MHz antenna. Also, during years of increased solar activity, the 32MHz band can propagate thousands of miles, which can lead to massive interference problems.

These days, VHF and trunked UHF systems are much more common. These systems are less prone to interference, they're smaller and easier to install, and linking repeaters together to increase range dramatically is not difficult.
Tue Sept 21 2010, 07:12PM
Low- 30- 50 MHZ

High- 147- 174 MHZ

Hope this helps..

I also heard a football station, sounds that are like a atri game, a boring weather man, and ads....
Dave Marshall
Tue Sept 21 2010, 07:51PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
The low band is indeed in use but only rarely as a primary frequency. More commonly (as in the county I live in) the low band has been relegated to a backup channel in case of repeater failure, massive incident requiring additional frequencies, and for the very most outlying areas with poor Line of Sight to the repeaters.

High band is still used extensively as primary dispatch frequencies through out much of the country, but it's a pretty even split between the VHF 147-174MHz (more specifically, Police/fire/EMS services live between 150-160MHz in the US) and the UHF Mobile Service allocation between 450 and 470MHz.

Newer trunked systems on 450-470, 500ish, and 800ish MHz are starting to gain ground though.

As for what you're hearing, I would think a straight up harmonic from the broadcast radio is unlikely. They would be terribly weak. I would bank on either the Broadcast radio has an IF that is very close to an IF or image on the police radio, or perhaps some other weakness in the design of the police radio is allowing it to hear one of the amplified products of the broadcast radio's down-conversion process. The fact that you're hearing 95.7 on the police scanner even with the volume turned all the way down would point to some very late stage front-end weakness that's leading to overload.

-Dave
Tue Sept 21 2010, 08:03PM
so is it a bad thing?

It doesn't work on other radios, just the goldstar....
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: