Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

about flybacks from 1950-1970....

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Mar 10 2010, 04:51AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
why are old flybacks pancake shaped, while modern ones are cylinders?
what about the winding arangements in the flybacks pancakes and cylinders?
i make my own flybacks b ut i worry about parasitic and stray factors.

-Patrick
ScotchTapeLord
Wed Mar 10 2010, 06:11AM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Perhaps it is because modern insulating techniques allow the entire coil to be a lot closer to the core, whereas older types get away with just moving the higher voltage further away? I really have no clue, just a guess!
radiotech
Wed Mar 10 2010, 06:16AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The 70's saw the demise of the valve eht rectifier,and damper. and the design of harmonic tuning of the dag and distributed capacity of the secondary windings. this required tighter coupling with the long coil rather than the PI type. In short, they are tuned to resonate at a harmonic of the drive pulses, (15734 Hz in NTSC) , while the primary windings act as an autotransformer to match the yoke at the fundamental. For the full story you have to back through 60 years of years of crap that was rendered obsolete by non-crt tvs.

The coilers are doing the same things it seems, with the exception of winding coils with series diodes *distributed* along the length of the secondary to end up with DC pulses. (integrated flybacks)
Patrick
Thu Mar 11 2010, 03:48AM
Ok radiotech, so the old flyback is called "PI", and there was no attempt to manipulate stray inductance or capacitence, by spacing them in narrow bands, with many layers, ending in the HV termial at the outer most circumference layer?

If i make my own flybacks in the way Uzzors and others describe, i would prefer the old PI technique,,is this wise? i do not use resonance or diodes in my designs.
radiotech
Thu Mar 11 2010, 07:15AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The old flybacks drove a single vacuum tube in half wave recttification to crt anode with dag (outrside black graphite grounded spray acting as half a filter cap through the glass to inside metalization. They just wound enought turns in a corona manageable form to give the voltage. Sometimes a doorknob was used, occasionaly a tripler. the model worked well right up until transistorized or scr drives,and color TV demanded control of ringing.

The lower impedance of transistor current drives meant the wattage losses of the horizontal output stage were much less (mainly anode heating.) Early solid state drivers were not tollerent of ringing, so the tranny was restyled and harmonically tuned secondaries were patented and used, The last tubes to go in the change to solid state were the damper and horizontal output. ( which was nice for hams because the last made tubes were excellent and cheap for transmitters).

A good thing to do when salvaging flybacks is get the date code of the chassis to know what genre of parts you have.

As to what they were trying to do, they were trying to make coils that did not burn out due to insulation failure. The energy from the transformation in the flyback went three ways . a. Drive the core of the deflection yoke. b. light up the CRT c. Provide a B+ boost voltage recovered as damped out di/dt energy when the beam in
was pulled back fast by reversal of the field of the yoke.This voltage
fed back to increase power efficiency. In solid state sets the flyback also powers the rest of the set just like a smps. Shutdown control is mandated due to X-Ray regs so the whole set is held up by safety logic which enable the power on to remain satisfied. (an expensive nightmare to troubleshoot.)
Benson D.G (1980's) and Fink DG (1950's) 'Television Engineering Handbook' good sources.

Patrick
Thu Mar 11 2010, 04:46PM
ok so i will wind my transformers like stevehv's with many layers, wide at the core tapered towards the circumerference.

shit, radiotech you know a lot about previous generations of PSU's !

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: