Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Center-tap winding Q

Move Thread LAN_403
Saz43
Sun Mar 07 2010, 06:04AM Print
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Can someone explain by what method this FB primary was wound?

Link2

The circuit diagram shoes the FB as having a 3.5 + 3.5 primary but I count 14 winds on the primary. I've tried several things but I'm doing it wrong cus my ZVS acts funny and I'm pretty sure its cus I'm doing the primary wrong. This is the last step before my project is done so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Carl Pugh
Sun Mar 07 2010, 05:41PM
Carl Pugh Registered Member #1064 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 05:04PM
The number of turns is the number of times the conductor goes through the core.
In this type of construction, there must me an even number of turns.
Proud Mary
Mon Mar 08 2010, 04:28PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Saz43 wrote ...

Can someone explain by what method this FB primary was wound?

Link2

The circuit diagram shoes the FB as having a 3.5 + 3.5 primary but I count 14 winds on the primary. I've tried several things but I'm doing it wrong cus my ZVS acts funny and I'm pretty sure its cus I'm doing the primary wrong. This is the last step before my project is done so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Clearly, the constructor has not followed, or has deliberately changed, the turns recipe given on the circuit diagram.

To start afresh - take a piece of insulated wire of suitable current capacity, and of sufficent length for your seven turns, plus a bit extra for connections.

Fold the wire exactly in half to determine its centre. Remove the insulation for 1cm on either side of this midpoint, so you have 2cm of bare wire.

Twizzle the bare wire round like a dreadlock, and solder it up into a spiggot to which you should attach your centre tap lead. Insulate the connection with heat shrink if you have it, or a bit of ordinary insulating tape if not. Now wind on the seven turns all in the same direction, and having the tap you have just made as its centre.

Try to make the spaces between adjacent windings as even as possible, because this type of device needs electrical and magnetic symmetry to work at its best.
uzzors2k
Mon Mar 08 2010, 09:41PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
To quote myself:

The primary was made with two 18AWG wire strands wound in bifilar, then around the core and finally centertapped. Just remember that the end of one wire joind the start of the other, and this is your center-tap. It makes sense once you've done it, and gives near perfect centertapped primaries. At any rate I wound 7 turns, which gives 3.5 + 3.5 primary turns.
Not very clear I'll admit, you have to try yourself before it makes sense. Proud Mary's explanation is exactly how I did it, so between our explanations you should make it work. As for the picture, I used three or four different pieces of wire joined in various places to further complicate matters. The correct number of primary turns is 7+7, I made a mistake when writing the webpage by thinking the seven turns were halved again.
Saz43
Thu Mar 11 2010, 01:00AM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Thanks. What I ended up doing was getting a red, yellow, and blue strand of wire and copying exactly what I saw in the picture, and it worked.

Uzzors, in case you're interested, your circuit charged my 15.6mF cap bank to 385V (1156J) at about 33 watts. I did, however, have to add 2 extra layers on the secondary (so 6 layers of 60 turns instead of 4). More turns on the secondary made my power supply shutoff (over current) and fewer causes the max charging voltage to fall to ~330V. I assume this has something to do with the fact that I'm charging a different sized bank than the one you used.

Proud Mary, thanks for explaining the logic behind it.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: