All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Cheap OTC Med-High Power RF PS's for US

Move Thread LAN_403
LutzH
Sat Jan 30 2010, 09:27AM Print
LutzH Registered Member #1721 Joined: Sat Sept 27 2008, 08:44PM
Hello:

I came across this while researching new lighting technology, it sure sounds just like a possible "easy street ticket" to a med-high power RF power source. It appears that the Sulfur lamp was not the end after all, of this branch of lighting evolution, to bad for me that these are not in the GHz range (Better for Ion Sources).

Link2

Take a look at this next example, it looks like you could just carefully break the glass and slip it over whatever you wanted, to ionize it in a vacuum tube, or add a coax connection for other uses. If it is that easy, then I for one will be a very happy camper!

I have not been able to pin down the frequency of operation of these lights, if it is in the 13, or the 28MHz band, then it should work great for RF HV stuff, if its in the 100's of KHz range, then with some ultra fast diodes, we could potentially build some impressive HV power supplies, or table top SS Tesla coils. I think that this technology defiantly warrants some further exploration to say the least. Here is an induction light which is amounts to being a 40watt "screw in" RF power supply. I am sure this product would have the full approval of Mr. Tesla if he were alive.

Link2

I would be very interested to here some other folks ideas about the feasibility of powering HV sources with this kind of RF power supply? This technology may also open the door to some really cool RF HV power supply designs along the lines of the Dynamitron for example: In which the capacitors of a VM are replaced with split anticorona rings, which are connected via HV diodes, and coupled to 2 insulated plane shaped primary electrodes, via induction. It looks like RF power just went OTC, in the 40-400W range. This product line should keep the hobby bench in use for a while :)
Steve Conner
Sat Jan 30 2010, 09:47AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
wrote ...
Q: Does the operation of these lamps interfere with other electronic devices?
A: No. Under normal operating circumstances there is no interference experienced. These lamps run at a low 210 KHz and are compliant with FCC rules.

You can make 100 watts at 210kHz easily with a few dollars worth of parts, so it seems overkill to buy one of these lamps and take it apart.
LutzH
Sat Jan 30 2010, 07:37PM
Hello:

I am most interested in the 400W versions which have a little more umpff :) But I do not know the Freq. which I need to research unless someone knows already.
Wolfram
Sun Jan 31 2010, 11:06AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
They seem to operate in the hundreds of kilohertz to a few megahertz range according to this page Link2

Anders M.
LutzH
Mon Feb 01 2010, 01:24AM
Bad News.....

The technology is to new and interesting, but it is still to expensive, the 40watt lamp goes for close to 100 dollars! So this one is going way on the back burner for me. This one is lesson for me to get the price BEFORE posting something like this. Sorry Folks : (

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: