All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A relatively simple xray tube.

Move Thread LAN_403
jpsmith123
Sat Jan 30 2010, 06:49AM Print
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Well I came across an interesting paper, so I thought I'd share the information in case anyone else may be interested.

The details of the paper are as follows:

Rev. Sci. Instrum. 68 (6), June 1997

High repetition rate compact source of nanosecond pulses of 5–100 keV x-ray photons

A. Khacef, R. Viladrosa, C. Cachoncinlle, E. Robert, and J. M. Pouvesle
GREMI, CNRS/Universite´ d’Orle´ans, B.P. 6759, 45067 Orle´ans Cedex 2, France

A powerful, compact, and repetitive flash x-ray system based on a cable transformer technology powered by ceramic capacitors in a Blumlein-like configuration has been developed. Open circuit voltages in excess of 100 kV can be achieved while commutation occurs at low voltage (<20 kV). The x-ray emission from a low impedance x-ray diode with a hollow cathode configuration was observed under a wide range of experimental conditions. The critical parameters limiting the flash x-ray performances are mainly the pressure in the x-ray diode and the anode– cathode space. This true table top device is able to produce doses up to 1 R per shot, measured at the output window, of x-rays between 5 and 100 keV. The pulse widths were about 20 ns and the maximum repetition rate was about 60 Hz. Operation is possible in air or in other gases (He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, H2,N2) at pressures varying from 10-3 mbar for xenon to about 1 mbar for helium. © 1997 American Institute of Physics. [S0034-6748(97)05006-5]

Here's a diagram of the tube, and a graph of the output vs pressure:

1264833152 1321 FT0 Simple Xray Tube

Pressure

Note that the output is relatively insensitive to the operating pressure over a fairly wide range, and this range is well within the capability of a cheap mechanical vacuum pump.

The paper discusses the anode and cathode diameters, spacings, etc. that gave the best performance.

It seems this system is also the subject of U.S. patent 5,651,045, although the patent doesn't go very much into the details of the tube design.
LutzH
Sat Jan 30 2010, 09:31AM
LutzH Registered Member #1721 Joined: Sat Sept 27 2008, 08:44PM
Thanks for this post, I have not seen this one. This design will scale to 1MV, and it is used commercially for most x-ray flash systems, like the ones made by Titan (Now Named L-3 Comm) or something. Very simple, very reliable, and very nice to see :)
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 30 2010, 12:34PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
It seems to me that the chief concern of the patentees is not with the flash X-ray tube - in which there is little that is new - but with their particular arrangement of the vector inversion pulse forming lines to ensure their mechanical stability and uniform electrical properties, though it is not easy to see what especial advantage their scheme with recessed PVC dielectric plates would have over dielectric oil - except, perhaps, as they suggest, compactness.

For the amateur constructor, I would expect the biggest single obstacle for most would be the very high cost of co-axial pulse cable with suitably high withstand voltage.
jpsmith123
Sat Jan 30 2010, 04:43PM
AFAIK the cables have to withstand only the charging voltage.

IIRC, RG8 cable can tolerate 50 kv pulses...so if you use say 6 lengths of RG8 and a 50 kv charging voltage, you could theoretically get 300 kv (minus losses) at the output (series connected) end.

Of course if you want long pulse lengths then you would need long cables and the thing would become bulky and cumbersome and expensive.
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 30 2010, 08:11PM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

AFAIK the cables have to withstand only the charging voltage.

Surely, they must withstand 2V due to the superposition of reflected and incoming waves at open-ended coaxial transmission line, consistent with reflection coefficient gamma = (R-Zo)/(R+Zo).

I'm sure there's still a lot to be found out about X-ray production by Grimm-type hollow cathode glow discharge devices, but one can experiment with them without the very tricky construction of a wave-erection transmission line Marx, though as Lutz says, it would be good to see.
jpsmith123
Sat Jan 30 2010, 09:21PM
Well in the body of the paper the authors state:

"The typical charging voltage was about 15 kV and the high-voltage open circuit pulse was about 100 kV with 60 ns
duration full width at half-maximum ~FWHM." (This is using 6 cables connected in parallel at the input and in series at the output).

One of these days I'm going to try to do an EM simulation of this type of transmission line transformer to see exactly what's going on.
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 30 2010, 09:39PM
Oh right, I see.
LutzH
Mon Feb 01 2010, 01:39AM
LutzH Registered Member #1721 Joined: Sat Sept 27 2008, 08:44PM
Hello:

I used to own the Russian version of this tube (250KV normal use, 320KV Max), until I sold it to a tube collector in Europe. I ran mine with a small marx bank by using 30KV 2700pF high quality ceramic doorknobs. It worked very well although my pulse length may have stretched into the 1 microsecond realm.

I had an idea to go faster by using a coaxial de-ionized water capacitor, but I never needed x-ray pulses this short. I still have a bunch of the new 30KV doorknobs if someone wants to build a precision marx bank. Immersing it in the commercial fluorocarbon fluids works great for insulation, but oil will do in a pinch. You can x-ray an airgun pellet going through a lightbulb, even with only a simple marx bank driving it.

The military used these to study shaped charges and nuclear core implosions, which in the case of nukes led to self forging fragment technology, this made smaller American football shaped nukes possible.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: