All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Measuring HV with mA meter?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Sun Jan 17 2010, 10:39PM Print
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
Everyone seems to use a divider for measuring HV. I was wondering if I could use a mA meter (analog) to measure voltage instead. (Using ohms law). A HV divider just means more to order, put together, and fidget with. Ive seen people put an ammeter in series with a HV circuit to measure current, so I figure I could do the same and figure voltage via ohms law (since resistance and current are known).

Sound good? I plan to use this to figure the voltage output from a voltage multiplier with a resistor in series to limit current to my x-ray tube.

Any problems to consider?
Thanks,
Matt
StevenCaton
Sun Jan 17 2010, 11:05PM
StevenCaton Registered Member #1845 Joined: Fri Dec 05 2008, 05:38AM
I just did this last week to measure the output of a voltage doubler. I wanted to verify that it gave 30KV. So I put 200 million ohms in series, and measured the current. It worked fine.
Any problems to consider?
Maybe shielding the meters to keep the field from screwing with it? I'm not sure how important this is.

You might want to consider investing in a high voltage probe, instead of using a meter. A meter might be the cheapest way to do it, but if you have a really nice meter, I don't know if I would recommend it. (but it worked for me)
radiotech
Sun Jan 17 2010, 11:24PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
A good meter to put in series with iine to measure current is a thermocouple RF ammeter. Been used forever, and it cant lie, no matter what the waveform. I think you may even see them in aerial wires from spark gap transmitters of old.
Steve Conner
Sun Jan 17 2010, 11:33PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Matt, what do you think is inside a high voltage meter? smile

Moving coil analog meters are all fundamentally the same, the only difference between a voltmeter and an ammeter is that the voltmeter has a large resistor in series with it, but the ammeter has a small resistor shunted across it. And the scales are different too, I guess.

The divider makes sense if you're using a scope or DMM, but for an analog meter all you need is a series resistor. The more sensitive the meter, the higher a resistance you'll need, and the less current it'll rob from the HV source. 50uA FSD is about the best meter you can get, and that would measure 50V FSD with a 1M multiplier resistor. For 50kV FSD you'd need a gigaohm, and you start having to worry about corona and leakage spoiling the accuracy.

If you go up to a 1mA FSD meter, then to measure 50kV you need a 50M resistor, and it'll draw 1mA (obviously) and dissipate 50 watts.
Sulaiman
Sun Jan 17 2010, 11:38PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
There are two main problems, the first is of course safety which I'm sure you will cover, the second is the power that you take from the circuit being measured;
e.g. 50kV measured with a 50uA meter-
The circuit will have to supply 50kV x 50uA = 2.5 Watts

Will this significantly affect the circuit?

The resistor(s) will have to dissipate this power as heat.

Also, common resistors have a voltage rating of a few hundred volts so you will need either an expensive hv resistor or many normal ones in series.
EEYORE
Mon Jan 18 2010, 12:27AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello,
I got a 1mA current meter since I plan to run around 500uA. I dont need a lot of accuracy, just a good idea of where I am. This isnt the main reason I got the meter. I got it to measure current through the tube, but thought it might serve a good way to know voltage as well. I have no idea how it is constructed (such as shunt size, and working voltage) as I ordered it.
Link2
Matt
Antonio
Mon Jan 18 2010, 12:34AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Just take care to not do a mistake that I did: I was measuring HV using a string of precision resistors in series with a digital meter in the uA scale. Works fine. But then I turned the system off and turned the meter off too. When I returned for more measurements I turned the HV on before turning on the meter on the uA scale. In the off position the probes were disconnected internally on the meter. The result was internal sparking that destroyed the meter.
radiotech
Mon Jan 18 2010, 01:26AM
There are also electrostatic voltmeters; i've got 2 . and on DC they dont draw any current as long as the pointer isn't moving.

Think of a balanced tuning capacitor.
radiotech
Mon Jan 18 2010, 02:17AM
Electrostatic meter here
1263781013 2463 FT82715 Electros
Wolfram
Mon Jan 18 2010, 08:52AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Check out this Link2 ebay auction if you need HV resistors. On that board there are 18 200M resistors. I've bought some of these myself for the exact same purpose, they are rated for 20kV each, so with all of them in series with a 500uA meter you can measure up to 360kV. For your purpose I suppose it would be more suitable to use five of them in series with a 100uA FSD meter to get a 100kV full scale deflection.

I would use a seperate meter to monitor current as it can be convenient to both monitor voltage and current at the same time.

Anders M.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: