Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Carl A. Willis (44)

Next birthdays
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
10/05 GhostlyFigures (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilguns: voltage to capacitance ratio?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Aussienitro
Fri Jan 22 2010, 01:38AM Print
Aussienitro Registered Member #2399 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 09:29AM
Hello,

I see many coilguns that have been made however nearly all of the have a bank of caps in the 300-500v range with high capacitance in the 1000's of microfarad range. Is there a prefered ratio between voltage and capacitance? I realise discharge amps would also be important however thats an unknown.

Any examples of higher voltage lower capacitance guns?

I'm holding a 3kv, 100uF cap and am curious to know how it would perform, any insights?

Turkey9
Fri Jan 22 2010, 01:53AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Reluctance coilguns (use attractive force) need slower pulses so you use higher capacitance. Inductance coilguns (use repulsive force) need a faster discharge so they use high voltage low capacitance. With voltage less than a couple hundred volts, the coils need to be low resistance to get enough of a magnetic field (think ohms law). Aside from that, it's easy to rectify mains and get the right voltage to charge caps at 330V.

You could make a good inductance gun with your cap. They usually get higher velocity for one stage too.
Andri
Fri Jan 22 2010, 02:15AM
Andri Registered Member #1533 Joined: Wed Jun 11 2008, 02:13PM
I've never built a coilgun but, based on simple theory, I believe the following should answer your question. I hope to be corrected if I'm wrong in any way.

It's all about maximizing energy stored and minimizing cost.
Energy stored is calculated according to the following law:

W = 1/2 C V²

As you can see the voltage is squared so, there is a greater benefit from higher voltage than there is from greater capacitance.

Your capacitor should hold a maximum of 450J which comes close to the energy transfered to a 9x19mm Parabellum bullet when fired. That's the bullet used in a Glock 17. You won't be able to transfer all that energy to the projectile from a coilgun, however. Also, that's an absolute maximum based on the numbers you gave us.
Aussienitro
Sat Jan 23 2010, 01:23PM
Arr OK, kinda the difference between a throw and a hit, both do the same things in different ways. Though I've never heard of an inductance gun before though, so that would be a kind of weoponised "ring launcher"?

I guess I'll try a classic coil first and see what happens, though I though for sure some out there have tried simular high V low F caps before. Maybe it just wasn't worth mentioning :P
Turkey9
Mon Jan 25 2010, 07:12AM
Plenty of people have used High Voltage and lower capacitance. In that configuration, the pulse in a coil is too short to be used like a normal coilgun and attract a ferrous projectile. Instead, the fast pulse is used to create eddy currents in a non-ferrous projectile (like aluminum). These eddy currents drive the projectile away from the coil just like a ring launcher or a disk launcher.

If you do some research about RLC networks and Lorenz Law this will all make a lot more sense. It's all in the physics of electricity and magnetism.
cduma
Mon Jan 25 2010, 07:25PM
cduma Registered Member #1822 Joined: Fri Nov 21 2008, 08:04PM
In my totaly un-scientific opinion I would prefer higher voltages since that will have a stronger tug and end soon.
Aussienitro
Mon Jan 25 2010, 07:36PM
Thanks turkey.

I haven't been able to find much information on induction guns, plenty on launching a disk with a flat coil but little on ring or solid projectiles. Ring gun here but few details on construction Link2 uses 5kv 40uF cap. Claims 200m/s , might be an exageration though the rings shown would lose velocity fast.

I found this page, Link2 showing an induction gun built exactly like a reluctance gun, just with different positioning of an Al/Cu wouldbe projectile. But if it was made as in the picture wouldn't it just attempt to crush rather then propell the bullet?

A picture I drew :)
Arrowgun
Turkey9
Tue Jan 26 2010, 12:48AM
That inductance gun built like the reluctance one wouldn't work. You're correct in thinking that it would just push in on the projectile. I've seen guns built like that but the projectile needs to sit just in front of the coil. Yet another reason to use high voltage on inductance guns: the force exerted on the bullet gets weak fast as it goes away from the coil. The pulse needs to be fast in order to transfer as much energy as possible as fast as possible.

That gun might reach 200 m/s but i don't know... they look really light so it might get that fast, but not for long.

When using a ferrite rod all you have to do is wind a solenoid shaped coil on it. Then the ring sits in front of that coil. The rod changes the field so that the ring is propelled away from the coil much better than a lot of other designs. It's called a Thompson Gun i'm pretty sure if you wanna know more.
Aussienitro
Tue Jan 26 2010, 03:03AM
Thanks Turkey,

To get a projectile to show good ballistics I've decided on the following pic, simply use a disk acting as a sabot to give the necessary surface area which drops away leaving the arrow to fly straight. I just went as far as ordering 8mm ferrite rod and 10mm OD 1mm wall Al tube. Pic shows it in its most basic form disk will probably sit over arrow tube and butted up agains Al fins, that should give a smooth glide path with out unnecessary weight.

Now I just have no idea what to actually use for the coil, never done this before so anyone chime in on what wire and gauge I should be looking out for?
Sabot
Aussienitro
Tue Jan 26 2010, 06:31AM
Moved discussion of "arrow gun" to new thread Link2 , as it was straying way off topic.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: