Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitor Charging...

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mycologist
Sat Oct 24 2009, 02:41PM Print
Mycologist Registered Member #2413 Joined: Sat Oct 03 2009, 08:27PM
Hi there,

I've been working on a 1280J capacitor bank that I can plug my coilgun or railgun into, and have had some success with a 200V 64mF configuration. However, I found that 64mF was way to much capacitance for my coil at that low a voltage, and I got really awful suckback because the pulse time was so long. That and the railgun needed a bit more voltage, so I decided to rewire it as an 800V 4mF bank. The problem I have now however, is that it's a lot harder to get 800V from 240VAC than 200V; to get the 200V before I was just using a bridge rectifier and a potential divider. It seemed obvious that I either needed a transformer, or a cw multiplier, and the multiplier option seemed a lot easier than wiring a transformer, so I went ahead and put one together with some 1kV rectifier diodes, and some 1kV 10nF ceramic caps. It was at this point that I realised that it would work none too well with the mains frequency being ~60Hz and all...
After doing some calculation, I figured that I'd need 4 380uF 1kV capacitors to make a quadrupler for 60Hz input; not exactly the commonest items to come by! So I thought a transformer may be a better idea, though I have little idea of how to go about winding one. I've got an old crt that I was going to take apart to make a flyback arc generator for some fun, and I could use that for the core I guess, but I'm unsure if it would work well at 60Hz or not...
So if anyone has any advice regarding increasing mains frequency, or transformer winding, it would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
Wolfram
Sat Oct 24 2009, 03:13PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
With a voltage doubler connected directly to mains, you should get 2 * sqrt(2) * 230V, or around 650V. This is not too far from the 800V rating of the bank. To get closer to 800V, a good idea would be to use a 230V-48V or so transformer, and connect it up as an autotransformer to get around 280V AC out. When put through a doubler this should yield just under 800V, not much safety margin.

A lightbulb in series with the mains input of the circuit would limit the peak current on turn-on, which can otherwise be very high. It would also serve as a nice charging indicator.

Anders M.
Mycologist
Sat Oct 24 2009, 03:20PM
Wow, speedy reply! :D Thanks Anders, I'll give that voltage doubler a try, I assume you're talking about the 'Charge-Pump Voltage Doubler' on the wiki right?
Proud Mary
Sat Oct 24 2009, 03:28PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Why not series the capacitors in your voltage multiplier, Matt? That's what I'd do. But take the greatest care if you are not using an isolation transformer.

1256405922 543 FT78322 Mains Voltage Doubler

There you go! smile
Mycologist
Sat Oct 24 2009, 07:29PM
Thanks for the schematic Harry! Haven't tried it yet though, as I've just got back from making the Voltage Doubler as per the wiki, and as per Anders' prediction, it outputs exactly 650VDC! Now to try it attached to the actual capacitor bank rather than just across a load resistor...
Also, I don't quite understand some of the points in your schematic Harry; I can see that there are now four diodes so you can have either the 300 or the 600 volt output, but why all the small (I assume ceramic) caps and chokes?
Proud Mary
Sat Oct 24 2009, 08:59PM
The chokes and caps in the mains input line (50Hz if live you in Britain! smile ) form a standard noise filter. These should be caps specified for direct connection across the mains.

The capacitors in parallel with the diodes are there to protect them from surges.

The very cheap 1N4007 diode would be a good alternative for the diodes.

The design should also incude a fuse.

If you want more current, increase the size of the capacitors.
Mycologist
Sun Oct 25 2009, 09:17PM
Ok, so the small caps and chokes are basically just to regulate it a little, I'll probably add them sooner or later then, seeing that trying to charge the bank earlier today with just the raw design (two caps, two diodes through a fused plug and socket protector) yielded a popped load resistor after about 0.1s, after only reaching 35V. I was considering just letting it draw without a load resistor in series, but would that blow the fuse?
Proud Mary
Tue Oct 27 2009, 11:54PM
Mycologist wrote ...

Ok, so the small caps and chokes are basically just to regulate it a little, I'll probably add them sooner or later then, seeing that trying to charge the bank earlier today with just the raw design (two caps, two diodes through a fused plug and socket protector) yielded a popped load resistor after about 0.1s, after only reaching 35V. I was considering just letting it draw without a load resistor in series, but would that blow the fuse?

You'll have to learn some very basic Mathematics for Electronics, won't you, or you will ever be dependent on others to work out the solution to even the simplest of circuits. There are great stacks of books on basic electronics, and I must now refer you to these. smile

Mycologist
Thu Oct 29 2009, 09:29PM
Hmm, you do have a point there Harry! Hopefully I'll be a little more proficient when I'm at uni studying this kind of thing, rather than just messing around in my spare time... So yeah, I had a more detailed look at it, and while I still don't quite understand the noise filter (I'll do some more reading cheesey), I went ahead and risked the massive current draw by charging it without a load resistor, and everything was ok! Charged to 640V almost instantly, with no real problems, well other than I've gone and wrecked my rails by zapping too much tin foil on them...
So yeah, thanks guys! I'll get and do some more reading and chipping molten crud off my rails!
Zeus
Thu Oct 29 2009, 10:21PM
Zeus Registered Member #2316 Joined: Tue Aug 25 2009, 03:04AM
Have you considered placing a 1N4007 in series with 80μF photo flash caps like this
-l>--l l--l> with the positive of the cap on the left,
-<l--l l--<l and the positive of the cap on the right.
Then connect said caps in parrelel. ( Sorry about the ASCII schematic I,m on my
phone)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: