Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strange idea:Can a transformer power a coilgun/railgun effectively?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Jasonr
Tue Aug 25 2009, 06:10PM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
The only use I could think of would be to augment a railgun.
Augment Link
Jordan aka Axiom
Thu Aug 27 2009, 02:16AM
Jordan aka Axiom Registered Member #2317 Joined: Thu Aug 27 2009, 01:45AM
Let's do a thought experiment:

An idealized shorted circuit producing 3000A at 1V would require that said circuit has an impedance of 0.0003333 ohms.

If we increased the voltage in this equation to 1000V, but increased the impedance so as to maintain the 3000A current, our impedance would be 0.3333 ohms.

Both circuits exhibit 3000A current, with one operating at 1V and the other at 1000V with impedance varying as required.

The power levels of these circuits are are 3000W and 3000000W.

Using these circuits to power an electromagnetic accelerator, being that propulsive force is a function of current, the force produced would be the same.

Is this correct?
klugesmith
Thu Aug 27 2009, 02:51AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Jordan aka Axiom wrote ...

Using these circuits to power an electromagnetic accelerator, being that propulsive force is a function of current, the force produced would be the same.
Is this correct?
Nope. To keep it stupidly simple, the fields depend on current times number of turns (and how close the turns are, since they each need room). In your example, the HV coil could have many more turns & generate lots more force.

Generally, for a given coil size and material, you can choose the wire size to match the desired voltage.
Low voltage: thick wire, few turns, high current.
High voltage: thin wire, many turns, low current -- for exactly the same power dissipation and field strength.

Jordan aka Axiom
Thu Aug 27 2009, 03:08AM
Jordan aka Axiom Registered Member #2317 Joined: Thu Aug 27 2009, 01:45AM
Klugesmith wrote ...

Jordan aka Axiom wrote ...

Is this correct?
Nope. To keep it stupidly simple, the fields depend on current times number of turns (and how close the turns are, since they each need room). In your example, the HV coil could have many more turns & generate lots more force.

Generally, for a given coil size and material, you can choose the wire size to match the desired voltage.
Low voltage: thick wire, few turns, high current.
High voltage: thin wire, many turns, low current -- for exactly the same power dissipation and field strength.

I forgot to specify that the inductance of the propulsive apparatuses is maintained as well. As such, the increased resistance in the 1000V circuit comes from some internal resistance such as ESR.

Then, would not the propulsive force be the same?
M_Gargantua
Mon Sept 07 2009, 02:41PM
M_Gargantua Registered Member #276 Joined: Thu Mar 02 2006, 04:40PM
Barry wrote ...

A nice LIM was built by EF Northrup in 1937 and no IGBT were needed. (Good thing too, since they hadn't been imagined yet.) He had in-depth understanding of eddy currents and skin effect depth, and determined that 60 Hz was too low -- he ran the equipment at 4800 Hz from a motor-generator pair. It seems a loss the technology was never developed further.

I always enjoyed his description of a "magnetic field sweeping like a wind along its axis." What a great mental image.

I think I might do a project, using this for a needle gun.
Dr. Resonance
Sat Oct 31 2009, 04:25PM
Dr. Resonance Registered Member #1670 Joined: Mon Sept 01 2008, 08:32AM
yes, you can. I use an 900 Volt, 1,000 mA xmfr to charge my HV DC power supply. It quickly charges up my large 1,200 volt cap bank, and then fires thru a standard 1,600 volt SCR. I use a 5 section coil gun with each section triggered by an IR beam. The first SCR stages is triggered manually via a standard pushbutton on the SCR trigger gate. Using a 4" long x 1/2" dia steel projectile and getting measured velocities of 650 ft/sec. after stage 5. It shatters a standard concrete building block approx 50 ft from end of the gun.

Dr. Resonance
Dr. Resonance
Sat Nov 07 2009, 10:59PM
A few tips for projectile accelerator designers:

One of the factors many coil gun designers miss is the necessity of getting the coil very close to the projectile. We use a stainless steel tube, with very thin wall thickness, .040". Then we use a very thin layer of kraft insulating paper, .003" thick. This allows us to wind the coils very tight on the tube giving max coupling to the projectile.

Energy goes up as square of the voltage, so keeping the voltage high, in my case 1,200 Volt, it keeps the overall energy high.

A third trick is to make slots all along the tube directly under the part covered by the coil. I also go 0.25" each side of the coil with the slot. (milling machine, 1/8th" slot). This prevent eddy current formation (losses), and, again, increases the energy in the projectile.

Use a reasonably large guage wire (I use 10 AWG) to keep overall coil resistance low and thus peak current high.

Contact me off-list if you wish to see a photo of my 5 stage gun in action shattering a concrete block at 20 ft from the gun.

Dr. Resonance
Dr. Resonance
Sat Dec 26 2009, 05:54AM
yes.

I use a 1,200 Volt xmfr rated 2 Amps to rapidly charge up my 1600 VDC cap bank prior to firing. It charges 5 stages which, after the first stage, or triggered with
I-R optics of each stage. I use a 0.5" x 4 inch long projectile to shatter concrete blocks at 60 ft.

Dr. Resonance
Turkey9
Mon Dec 28 2009, 05:57AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
wow! 650 ft/s is over half the speed of sound. And assuming a plain steel projectile, that's way over 7kJ of kinetic energy! That's impressive indeed. No wonder you can shatter thost concrete blocks!
DYI
Mon Dec 28 2009, 10:49PM
DYI Registered Member #1917 Joined: Fri Jan 09 2009, 02:38AM
Looks closer to 2kJ to me. Either way, that would be a very impressive coilgun. Probably inductance rather than reluctance, unless he's got an absolutely vast capacitor bank powering those stages.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: