Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strange idea:Can a transformer power a coilgun/railgun effectively?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
T_chester
Sun Aug 16 2009, 07:30AM Print
T_chester Registered Member #2299 Joined: Sun Aug 16 2009, 07:04AM
As the electromagnetic accelarator use a huge amount of current to speed up the projectile,
I am thinking if a transformer (eg. 1V 3000A output) could power up a coilgun or a railgun just as
a capacitor does.
Do anyone of you heard of a design using a transformer as power supply?
Or the input energy would be to low and cause a huge resistive lose?
Killa-X
Sun Aug 16 2009, 08:17AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I wouldn't know much, but good luck finding a house that allows 3000A. Last i thought, a transformers output in current, is the same as your house. If you have 20A plugs (like me) I can't use a transformer that uses more than 20A. Yes, time to time you find other plugs like our hot-tub, 60A. But 3000?

If you asked me I wouldn't see if fully possible. Yes you can use some nice 12V nice amp power supply to power a transformer, like uzzors 50W flyback one, and get a fast charge..But without capacitors, your stuck.

I know people have used voltage multipliers with capacitors on 120V, so it takes 120V to 480V but...Not sure. Welcome to the forums though!
T_chester
Sun Aug 16 2009, 09:28AM
Maybe I could explain my idea further.
I have a transformer Input: 220V 13.5A 50Hz OutPut : 1V 3000A
I am sure it delivers 3000amps when shorted, but I am not sure if such current could drive a coilgun or just turn into heat in the coil.
And I am thinking if the voltage output of the transformer effect the output of the coil.
Marko
Sun Aug 16 2009, 11:51AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Well, mains powered coilguns are not a new proposal. Using transformers makes no sense though, as 1V with a 1 turn coil would work the same as mains voltage and a 230 turn coil, while getting rid of the transformer and all associated losses.

I could imagine a mains powered coilgun that could easily be much more efficient than ordinary air core and capacitor designs. The goal would be to design it like a linear motor, either LIM or LSM, with barrel made of iron cores perhaps several meters long, and rectified three phase mains as power source, with the whole system controlled with igbt's.

It certainly be a great project for someone with a deep wallet and sense of electromagnetic engineering (note that couple tens of kilograms of iron U cores or like might be required).

For a toy coilgun, one could probably use mains for maybe up to a hundred joules of energy for tipycal house feeds. Some system ofphase angle detection would be required though, to allow consistent firing, and it would have to be timed and controlled by an IGBT.

Marko
kromsson
Sun Aug 16 2009, 02:36PM
kromsson Registered Member #1444 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2008, 06:55AM
It can be done for fun, but will NOT be really effective, because the energy you get from the mains is quite low - 3000A x 1V = 3kJ/sec (3kW).

If you want to provide the projectile with 1 kJ of kinetic energy (assuming that the efficiency will be 20% !!!) you need 5 kJ of mains electrical energy, which means the projectile should be accelerated for almost 2 seconds (!!!!!) with means that if it has a terminal velocity of 50 m/sec, then you need 100 meters of barrel!

The capacitor discharge over a coil would take normaly about 2-3 msec (which is the half cycle). If the capacitor bank has about 3 kJ (which is quite large but possible for an amateur) then the average power of the capacitor is 3kJ/0.003 sec = 1MW !

So you need 300 times more power than the mains can supply - but only for a very short time.

rp181
Sun Aug 16 2009, 02:51PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I recall seeing somewhere someone trying a mains coilgun with filtered, rectified 3 phase power, but it did not work too well. Timing is also a issue.
T_chester
Mon Aug 17 2009, 10:09AM
Thanks for the information, and I think transformer or main for coilgun is not suitable for me.
How about using main as a railgun or thompson coil, is there any possibilities?
Barry
Mon Aug 17 2009, 10:56AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Marko wrote ...

Well, mains powered coilguns are not a new proposal... I could imagine a mains powered coilgun that could easily be much more efficient than ordinary air core and capacitor designs. The goal would be to design it like a linear motor, either LIM or LSM, with barrel made of iron cores perhaps several meters long, and rectified three phase mains as power source, with the whole system controlled with igbt's.
A nice LIM was built by EF Northrup in 1937 and no IGBT were needed. (Good thing too, since they hadn't been imagined yet.) He had in-depth understanding of eddy currents and skin effect depth, and determined that 60 Hz was too low -- he ran the equipment at 4800 Hz from a motor-generator pair. It seems a loss the technology was never developed further.

I always enjoyed his description of a "magnetic field sweeping like a wind along its axis." What a great mental image.

Cheers, Barry
Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Canada?
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe....Ca-na-da is that big country to the north of U-S-A... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Calgary. Come naked.
kromsson
Mon Aug 17 2009, 11:39AM
kromsson Registered Member #1444 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2008, 06:55AM
T_chester wrote ...

How about using main as a railgun or thompson coil, is there any possibilities?

Railgun, coilgun or otherwise, it is not efficient.

You need GREAT length of whatever acceleration field (in the measure of 10ths of meters), because the energy placed on the projectile is very slow.

You would need to gather the energy provided my the mains power for a few seconds (maybe 3-4), and save it in a DEVICE, then throw it altogether at the projectile in a millisecond.

The first DEVICE that comes to mind is of course, a capacitor...

Sorry friend, the mains can give you only fun, not really high velocities...
Backyard Skunkworks
Tue Aug 25 2009, 05:06AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
The easiest way to think about this is to simply calculate the theoretical maximum energy one can get from the mains. At 240V, 400A, 96kW, you can theoretically get up to 96kJ per second of power for the gun. If a powerful coilgun can dump a 1kJ bank in 10ms, it uses energy at a rate of 100kJ/sec. By looking at this, it would appear possible in theory to make a halfway powerful CG powered off mains. All the problems outlined in previous posts still stand though, and make the prospect of making a mains powered coilgun a bit harder.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: