All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Boost converter.... finally

Move Thread LAN_403
Philip_H
Tue Aug 04 2009, 04:09PM Print
Philip_H Registered Member #2269 Joined: Tue Aug 04 2009, 02:00PM
I've been a Troll here at 4hv for about 2 years now, work and school suck up most of my time so I havent had much time to tinker. Last week my vacation started so I decided to get a boost converter up and running, couldn't get the bugger to work until last night; all it needed was a pulldown resistor on the MOSFET gate...... don't know why i didn't think of it sooner. I HAD contacted some EE profs at the university to ask but being i'm a MEC E they were not about to help me. I'm sure this boost converter is highly innefficient but at least it works.

Anywho it's putting out 140V from a 12V source and i can adjust it up to 213, but i do have a question. My caps are 160V 3300uF, is a 20V difference enough so i do not have to worry about overcharging them? Or am i going to have to control the charging somehow. Pic is below (excuse the messy desk)

Planning to wind the firing coil tonight sometime, I have 69 of these caps so i'm trying to figure out how large a bank i should make. Any suggestions? I am However dreading transitioning this onto perf-board... whenever i do something always gets screwed up.

1249401746 2269 FT0 6300 127976867272 693617272 2682844 5924272 N
Sulaiman
Tue Aug 04 2009, 07:02PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
160 Volt capacitors are ok at 160 Volts .. that's what the ratings are for.
(A 160v CAP WILL PROBABLY HAVE A 30 SEC SURGE RATING OF >= 200v)
If you want long lived capacitors then derate the voltage
but for this application it will be excess current or voltage-reversal that will kill the caps.
DO NOT FORGET THE REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION DIODE(S).

Since this is your first attempt I suggest that you start small with just one capacitor to get a 'feel' for it (smaller explosions/less cost) then go for it!

I don't know who is the current 'expert' on coilguns here, but I do remember Barry contributing massively. Visit his website Link2
aonomus
Tue Aug 04 2009, 11:27PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
- Design your capacitor bank layout to have low inductance (ie: don't do a 'coil' layout, do parallel strings and then tie them all together).
- From the looks of it, your inductor is wire wound on a nail, which is probably poor for your frequency and duty cycle resulting in losses. Shorten the leads going to the inductor and change the core material to suit your frequency.
- If heatsinking for either the fet or diode is needed, make sure you check to see whether the tabs are electrically common (highly unlikely) and add insulating material as needed (sil-pad).
- Don't forget to add a diode across the capacitor bank to catch any back-EMF from your coil.

- Also think about adding a switch (dual pole for both - and +) to disconnect the charger from the capacitor bank while firing
- Use the inductor sim and the LCR sim on Barry's website to simulate your coil and the voltage/current waveform just to make sure your switching semiconductor is rated for the peak current, and that your back-EMF diode is rated for the voltage/current ringing.
Saz43
Tue Aug 04 2009, 11:56PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
aonomus wrote ...

- Design your capacitor bank layout to have low inductance (ie: don't do a 'coil' layout, do parallel strings and then tie them all together).
- From the looks of it, your inductor is wire wound on a nail, which is probably poor for your frequency and duty cycle resulting in losses. Shorten the leads going to the inductor and change the core material to suit your frequency.
- If heatsinking for either the fet or diode is needed, make sure you check to see whether the tabs are electrically common (highly unlikely) and add insulating material as needed (sil-pad).
- Don't forget to add a diode across the capacitor bank to catch any back-EMF from your coil.

- Also think about adding a switch (dual pole for both - and +) to disconnect the charger from the capacitor bank while firing
- Use the inductor sim and the LCR sim on Barry's website to simulate your coil and the voltage/current waveform just to make sure your switching semiconductor is rated for the peak current, and that your back-EMF diode is rated for the voltage/current ringing.

How much current would you say is safe for charging a capacitor bank? I am considering a Mazzilli driver to charge my bank, but at 50W output I'm worried about hurting my caps.
Camel
Wed Aug 05 2009, 12:49AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
50W should be fine.
Philip_H
Wed Aug 05 2009, 04:39PM
Thanks for the Input guys. I ended up soldering most of the permanent board together last night, i'll put up some pictures once it's finished. I added a power switch and heatsink for the MOSFET. I was planning to add these anyway but the breadboard was just to make sure it worked. I think i tried logging in one too many times at home (couldn't remember my login it's been that long since i posted); so once i can get back on at home i'll upload the pics.

Oh and the Inductor is wound around a plastic bobbin for a sewing machine, i simply put the nail in there to increase the inductance but it's not necessary to get the 150V that i'm going to run it at right now. It will put out 180 easily with the current inductance.
Camel
Thu Aug 06 2009, 12:21AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
A ferrite core would be much better if the frequency is in the kHz range. Really. Hugely better.
Philip_H
Mon Aug 17 2009, 01:15AM
Alright so of course as i restart my work on this project 10 more pop up. But i managed to get the boost converter into a housing and started playing with the caps. I attached a few images, the circuitry that used to occupy that housing was damaged and i thought it would be a shame to waste such a nice housing. The MOSFET is screwed directly to the housing with some thermal paste for good measure, keeps it nice and cool. I did add a ferite core to the bobbin but i did so right before putting it in the housing so there isn't a pic. Power switch will be external, the case is a bit crammed at the moment so there wasn't space.

EDIT:Whoops pics were too large,

6300 133960742272 693617272 2769441 6697786 N

6300 133960737272 693617272 2769440 7247522 N

[Edit: Better now]

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: