Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Self Quenching Coilgun?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marauder709
Sun May 17 2009, 08:04PM Print
Marauder709 Registered Member #1895 Joined: Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:12AM
When I fire my coilgun, there is always a small amount of voltage remaining in the capacitor after the shot. It is not negative voltage from reverse, its as though the capacitor does not completely discharge.

My quenching circuit is a simple diode short in anti-parallel with the capacitor. I also use an SCR for triggering.

My thought was that the inductors redirected back voltage might be momentarily balancing the capacitors voltage. What do you guys think
Backyard Skunkworks
Sun May 17 2009, 10:43PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
I think the voltage your seeing is simply an artifact of the point in time where the current fails to keep the SCR latched, thus opening the circuit at a non-zero voltage.

Edit: Wait I think thats probably not it.

I've seen something a bit like that with a bank of flash capacitors in the past. They mystically "charge" back to around 12V on a mechanically switched gun after the trigger switch is re-opened, even several seconds after the voltage has remained at zero with the switch closed. I think the cause of this may actually be something related to the capacitors, and not the circuit they are in.
Z28Fistergod
Mon May 18 2009, 01:10AM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
This phenomenon is called dielectric absorption or dielectric soak. This effect is measured as a percentage of the initial stored charge, up to 10%. Some dielectrics are worse than others, polypropylene is pretty good, while electrolytics obviously suffer quite badly from this.
Marauder709
Mon May 18 2009, 03:37AM
Marauder709 Registered Member #1895 Joined: Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:12AM
I don't think so Z28Fistergod. I always thought that the dielectric absorption was a constant. The base voltage of my caps (the voltage between the terminals when left to sit with no bleeder across the terminals) is around 4 volts.

When I fire at 150 Volts, the emf remaining is around 7 volts. When I fire at 300 volts however, the emf remaining is higher, around 13 volts. This suggests, to me at least, that there is something dynamic at work. I always thought that dielectric absorption was a static property.
Firefox
Mon May 18 2009, 04:54AM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
It seems you've answered your own question, Marauder. As Fistergod said, dielectric absorption is a percentage of the charged voltage. Yours seems to be around 5%, as you went to 7V after discharging 150V (150 * .05 = 7.5) and 13 after 300V (300 * .05 = 15).
Z28Fistergod
Mon May 18 2009, 12:03PM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
This effect also takes a very long time to manifest fully. The capacitors will "rebound" if you will to half of their terminal value very quickly, but then take many times longer to get to 95% of their terminal value. So in that respect yes it is non linear.
MachineShop
Tue May 19 2009, 04:17AM
MachineShop Registered Member #2107 Joined: Mon May 04 2009, 05:02AM
could this be the reason my circuits die off so quicly? i have seen this in mine aswell accept it maintains a good 50 volts...
Backyard Skunkworks
Wed May 20 2009, 02:36PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
MachineShop wrote ...

could this be the reason my circuits die off so quicly? i have seen this in mine aswell accept it maintains a good 50 volts...

50V sounds like an awful lot.

What voltage are your caps rated for and being charged to?
big5824
Wed May 20 2009, 03:22PM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
Could it be that as the pulse goes negative, it is correctly shorted out by the diode, but this shorting will cause a current to flow through the diode, thus creating a magnetic field, then once the negative pulse is over the field will collapse, inducing a positive voltage across the coil which goes to charge the capacitors?

MachineShop
Fri May 22 2009, 02:11PM
MachineShop Registered Member #2107 Joined: Mon May 04 2009, 05:02AM
Backyard Skunkworks wrote ...

MachineShop wrote ...

50V sounds like an awful lot.

What voltage are your caps rated for and being charged to?
it was only like 400. should i be using all simaler caps? like i have an asortment of whatever i could find all hokked up on my conductive rail...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: