bwsparxz (51)
Bonehead (34)
Tetris (27)

Next birthdays
06/29 Wirenut (47)
06/29 Dieu (35)
06/29 M477i3win2 (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Really really big coilgun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Apr 14 2009, 01:05AM Print
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
how well would a coilgun do, with a 2 inch pvc pipe (very thin) wrapped with 2 or 3 layers of 6 gauge wire, and about 6 inches long. all powered by a 5 kj capacitor bank, i am not sure about the projectile weight, but my aim is to make a coilgun mortar cannon to shoot about 100meters accurately. any tips on how to go about this, as well as suggestions to add to the idea, would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
6 or 8 guage wire
5kj cap bank
2" x 4' pvc pipe

Thanks,
Nick
Reid
Tue Apr 14 2009, 01:38AM
Reid Registered Member #2064 Joined: Sat Apr 04 2009, 09:26PM
dude, I want to see pictures of your finished product, sounds awesome.
Having done some work with long range ballistics, I propose that mounting your mortar on a variable angle chassis of some sort would be beneficial.
I would also forward that you are firing a 1 cal. piece of iron 328 feet, and you could easily break a car or kill someone.

That being said though, I would worry about the heat generated by your coil. you might want to try some sort of liquid or forced air cooling system to protect the coil and the barrel.
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Apr 14 2009, 01:50AM
Reid wrote ...

That being said though, I would worry about the heat generated by your coil. you might want to try some sort of liquid or forced air cooling system to protect the coil and the barrel.
yea, i can blow up small 18 gauge wire with the capacitor bank, so i was considering wrapping some kind of hose around the coil, and flowing water or a heat conductive liquid through it to keep the heat down. also the variable chassis idea is great. and the pvc is VERY thin, on the order of 16th inch think actually, so it will be about 1.875 cal :D
Also, im fully aware of the danger involved, its not like i have any intent to kill anyone/anything with it anyways, other than steel plates :P
Fnord
Tue Apr 14 2009, 01:32PM
Fnord Registered Member #2004 Joined: Sat Feb 28 2009, 11:43PM
I have only a little experience with coilguns, but unless you plan on firing in quick succession I don't think heat will be a huge issue.

If you want to figure it out mathematically, it takes .385 joules to raise 1 gram of copper 1 degree K.
If your coil weighs only 4 oz (112g), 5kj with 100% heat loss in the coil will raise is to about 300F or (420K, ~295 is room temp).
Of course, your coil will probably weigh a lot more than 4 oz, it was just a worst-case scenario. With 6 gauge wire the first layer alone will probably weigh like a pound.

Also, I wouldn't expect really high velocities, but you probably knew that. 4% efficiency will get you 200j, which doesn't really mean much with such a heavy slug.
You could punch through sheet metal or maybe 1/2" plywood with it.
Play around with the coil shape a little for the best efficiency. Normally a short fat coil works the best, with projectile of about the same length.
Fraggle
Thu Apr 16 2009, 12:37AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Large bore mortar style coilgun says induction to me. 100m range is peanuts with a big pancake and 5kJ.
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Apr 16 2009, 01:29AM
what do you mean peanuts? as in a waste of energy? also, the coil will be the same coil parameters as smaller hand held coils etc,, just sized up. i know it will mean more induction because of the increase in amount of copper, but it is not like i am using like 18 gauge and wrapping 300 turns 18 layers thick or anything, so yes, there will be more induction, but i don't think so much that it will just slowly dissipate the capacitor bank.
rp181
Thu Apr 16 2009, 02:01AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
peanuts means it will be easy.
For induction launchers, a lateral pancake coil is wound (Like 1 turn, with many layers), with a central rod. A aluminum ring is placed around it, and the power is pulsed.
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Apr 16 2009, 02:24AM
rp181 wrote ...

peanuts means it will be easy.
For induction launchers, a lateral pancake coil is wound (Like 1 turn, with many layers), with a central rod. A aluminum ring is placed around it, and the power is pulsed.
o okay, i haven't seen anything like this before. , iv always made my coils with many turns, and 2-3 layers. but ill definatly try it out. what are the differences (i mean in terms of the shape/size/position of the electromagnetic field) produced by a pancake coil?
Fraggle
Thu Apr 16 2009, 06:11AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Sorry, that is what I meant - ring launchers are really powerful!
woxxey
Thu Apr 16 2009, 02:56PM
woxxey Registered Member #1906 Joined: Sat Jan 03 2009, 05:06PM
With 5kj it sounds like you will be doing something quite large, so I'll try to sell you an idea (which I'm quite curious to see how it works):

Link2

Unfortunately I've never seen anyone making something out of this, either with bad or good results, but it seems to me like it would offer, sort of, an infinite number of stages at the cost of some extra friction (and copper).
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: