All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shahn (36)
Martin King (54)

Next birthdays
06/25 Shahn (36)
06/25 Martin King (54)
06/27 JLaz (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Transformer questions.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Tue Apr 04 2006, 11:21PM Print
Registered Member #256 Joined:
i have found a place with 50 dollar 1o kva transfromers, and i was wondering something, with the pigs, if i series some will the kva remain the same? and if not will it like just add it up?
Self Defenestrate
Wed Apr 05 2006, 01:13AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Depends on what you meen by series. KVA applys to input. And where by chance did you find the 1kva transformer?
Wed Apr 05 2006, 01:38AM
shit my bad these are 10 kva but the voltage of the primary is 4160 and i want to get 3 to get 12.5 kv and i am going to parallel the input and series output
Wed Apr 05 2006, 04:41AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Yes it is additive, 3 10kva transformers will give you 30kva. But be careful seriesing them; if you only needed 2 of them it would be safe to parallel the primaries, ground one side of each transformer, and take the hv off the ungrounded halves of the transformers, but if you need 3 you need to float one primary--and not all transformers can handle that.

Could you manage with 2 transformers full wave rectified? That would be about 12kv dc...

If you need more than that but dc is ok, you could use a level shifter (a singe diode and ~5ufd of capacitance) and 2 transformers in series? That would be about 23kv... It would start sparking with the electrodes about an inch apart... And with a solid amp of current...

In any case, be very cafeful with them suprised
Wed Apr 05 2006, 09:37PM
i think this would be ok, i would like to use for my tesla coil so think if i full wave rectified with tha capacitor that is already needed this will be like 23 kv anyways right? also i had a couple questions about it, it says additive polarity? what is this mean? and it says they are 4160/2400y so if i use this will it output 4160 or 2400v?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Apr 05 2006, 10:47PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
be careful, the insulation rating will not be high enough for multiple secondaries in series with such high voltages. Operation under oil will be a must.
Thu Apr 06 2006, 01:46AM
these are ooil filled pole mount transformers, would insulation be sufficient to wire the high voltage end of two of these in series, and then full wave rectify for TC use? I am wondering.
teravolt
Thu Apr 06 2006, 01:57AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
the power required for thease transformers is enough to power about 4-5 homes. If they are setup properly and you have a short or you arc the terminal you could draw 4-5 foot arc. It could be serusly dangerous and be leathal with no second chanses. If you are serous you can take two and parallel the primarys and put the secondarys in series and create a center tap with no ill efects to the transformers. A 10kva transformer is about 100 to 200 pounds be carful
Thu Apr 06 2006, 02:38AM
i know that is what i was planning to do, the ones he has are 180 pounds each and they have never been used but they were made in 1993 and certified non pcb
Kolas
Thu Apr 06 2006, 06:02AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
$50 transformers what area of the country are you in? im thinking, "hook your comrads up dood.
if you got yourself 4 of these things, you could possibly, safely put them in series, but pigs are alot like MOT's the primery isnt insualted from the core very well, and it is likely the seocndary is grounded to the core, if you got arcover it would be very detremental
kolas
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: