bwsparxz (51)
Bonehead (34)
Tetris (27)

Next birthdays
06/29 Wirenut (47)
06/29 Dieu (35)
06/29 M477i3win2 (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

a few miscelaneous ideas for projectile accelerators.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Mar 17 2009, 10:18PM Print
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
ok so, iv had alot of time to myself lately and iv been thinking up some ideas. k so

number 1)
for a rail gun projectile, i dont know if this has been thought of , but having a non conductive projectile, with a peice or block of aluminum on the back, so when the whole projectile hits the rail, the aluminum vaporizes, creating pressure behind the projectile, creating an ETG/railgun. what do you think?

number 2 is more less of a project, i think i will upgrade my current 5kj bank to 10 kj (adding 16 more 3900 uF * 400 volt caps) and making a coilgun mortar system. a programmed ballistics calculator will calculate the needed angle of trajectory to hit the required distance/target at a specified muzzle velocity. air resistance will be taken into account. what i need to ask is how could i (electronically) control the angle of the barrel? if there are 2 fixed pivot points on either side.

my goals are to make a coil with 6 gauge wire, and have it hit a target at 300 m , obviously an angled shot.
but as i asked before, any ideas for the barrel angle? im kind of thinging stepper motors, but i would have no idea how to use or control them.
any help is appreciated.
Bjørn
Tue Mar 17 2009, 11:33PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
1) The point of a rail gun is to reach extremly high velocities, the ETG part is not going to help a lot. So you would be fixing a problem that only exists when the gun is not working properly.

2) Elevation screws have been used for hundreds of years and is simple to make Link2 Just count the rotations of the motor to get an accurate and repeatable angle.
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Mar 17 2009, 11:45PM
Bjørn wrote ...

1) The point of a rail gun is to reach extremly high velocities, the ETG part is not going to help a lot. So you would be fixing a problem that only exists when the gun is not working properly.
what if i had a bimetallic block, one side with steel, the other with aluminum, so the aluminum vaporizes, and the steel or copper continues to conduct as it moves down. i dunno, lol i just kinda thought it up. xD
Bjørn
Tue Mar 17 2009, 11:52PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The plasma generated when the aluminium vapourise will be conductive and work as any other conductor. It is called a plasma armature, it is used on some rail guns.
big5824
Wed Mar 18 2009, 08:52AM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
I imagine you would get a build up of the aluminium on your rails, reducing performance
hotcrazyfruit
Wed Mar 18 2009, 02:17PM
Bjørn wrote ...

The plasma generated when the aluminium vapourise will be conductive and work as any other conductor. It is called a plasma armature, it is used on some rail guns.
o right, i completely forgot*face slap
thanks man
aonomus
Wed Mar 18 2009, 04:03PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Another projectile I've heard of is using carbon/copper alloy (the stuff they use for motor brushes?). If you use copper rails you'll end up having the same metal buildup with irregularities, and carbon soot all over the place.... might make it easier on the rails if you use a different rail metal with a greater melting point (ie: just scrape the build up off).
hotcrazyfruit
Wed Mar 18 2009, 09:11PM
aonomus wrote ...

Another projectile I've heard of is using carbon/copper alloy (the stuff they use for motor brushes?). If you use copper rails you'll end up having the same metal buildup with irregularities, and carbon soot all over the place.... might make it easier on the rails if you use a different rail metal with a greater melting point (ie: just scrape the build up off).
which is why it would be such a good idea to gave tungsten rails (3410 degrees celcieus melting point) with an aluminum projectile, there would near no rail erosion. lol. another thing i was thinking thinking of, instead of wasting time making a rogowski coil, what if you used a shunt. because the current from end to end of the shunt SHOULD be proportional to the full current, and giving us a readable voltage by a pc or occiliscope.
rp181
Wed Mar 18 2009, 09:51PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
A shunt is more difficult if you have to make one. You have to know the resistance accurately. Also, it takes power away from the circuit, and is more intrusive. A tungsten rail would [probably] suck, due to the high resistance.

@aono
Those projectile have been tried before (read about it from Ebsco host), but the resistivity caused the projectile to explode.
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Mar 19 2009, 01:22AM
rp181 wrote ...

A shunt is more difficult if you have to make one. You have to know the resistance accurately. Also, it takes power away from the circuit, and is more intrusive. A tungsten rail would [probably] suck, due to the high resistance.

but the resistance of a shunt is only a few milli ohms. i ust thought that there would be a small difference in potential because of the resistance in the shunt. thanks.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: