Bill G (64)
Overclocked (37)
Edi (31)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Microwave leak detector

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
G^3
Sun Mar 08 2009, 03:04AM Print
G^3 Registered Member #97 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40PM
I built a microwave leak detector that consists of a schottky diode in anti-parallel with an led as described on http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#micsimkleak. The only problem is it doesn't seem to work. I assume that my microwave leaks some because it is old and when I use it my wireless internet really slows down. I tried all along the door seam in various positions, but nothing seemed to work. Any hints?

Thanks
Proud Mary
Sun Mar 08 2009, 03:19AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
The LED thing looks like a gimmick to me.

Just make a quarter-wave antenna out of stout wire, couple that to a microwave diode, followed by an op amp like OP-07 and a meter, and stick the whole thing in a diecast metal box - except the antenna, of course! cheesey

Or you could cut a stripline out of Vero board, and rectify and amplify the output of that for the meter.
G^3
Sun Mar 08 2009, 09:21PM
If I used Intensity (w/m^2)=.5*c*epsilon naught*(E)^2 where E is the electric field required to light an LED or about 1Volt/(6cm) I get an intensity of ~0.4W/m^2 or about .04mw/cm^2 and a leaky microwave is considered dangerous at 100 times that level. I guess it doesn't work, but I would like to know why.

P.S. I am using a 1n5819 and a random red LED.

Bjørn
Mon Mar 09 2009, 03:31AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Back in the days when many of the 4HV members were experimenting with microwaves the LED/diode detector was common. If I recall correctly they used a diode that was 50-100 times faster than the 1n5819. Remember that the signal is 2.45 GHz, a medium fast or fast diode will be too slow.
Wolfram
Mon Mar 09 2009, 07:05AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Bjørn wrote ...

Back in the days when many of the 4HV members were experimenting with microwaves the LED/diode detrector was common. If I recall correctly they used a diode that was 50-100 times faster than the 1n5819. Remember that the signal is 2.45 GHz, a medium fast or fast diode will be too slow.

Spot on. If I'm not mistaken, the diode most commonly used was the 1N5711 Link2 .

A.M.
klugesmith
Mon Feb 22 2010, 07:46PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
G^3 wrote ...
... I assume that my microwave leaks some because it is old and when I use it my wireless internet really slows down. I tried all along the door seam in various positions, but nothing seemed to work. Any hints?
Is it common for wireless routers to suffer interference from microwave ovens, even when the latter are in compliance with leakage standards? My guess is yes, I think Netgear WGR614v4 (for example) depends on unlicensed radio communication in the 2450 MHz ISM band. Just found a discussion here: Link2

My dad's tenant complained that his built-in MWO has been interfering with his wireless Internet connection, and with a digital electronic scale on the kitchen counter. I dusted off my old Holaday survey meter Link2 Verified it qualitatively by jamming paper behind the door of MWO at home to induce leakage. Took the meter to tenants house this morning. Confirmed the interference, and found that it went down when the MWO door was pressed just right. But the meter showed no measurable leakage, even on its most sensitive range (FSR = 2 mW/cm^2).

I told the tenant there was no safety hazard even for his wife & baby -- that I would have no problem sleeping next to the MWO -- and that I would look into the interference thing. Any ideas, other than f***ing with the door hinge adjustment and hoping not to make things worse? The wireless router is at the far end of house, and the troubled computer location is in kitchen about 8 feet away from the MWO.

[edit] p.s. Initially, the "robust 1mA meter movement" in the Holaday instrument was not moving freely. It got draggy in the bottom 20% of the range, with no visible mechanical interference. After taking it apart to the point of seeing both front and rear bearings, and looking for a dust fiber stuck in the gap, I found the probem with the aid of a 10x loupe. A splinter of ferrous metal about 1/2 mm long (.020") was stuck to the edge of moving coil. In the magnetic field it kept a radial orientation, and could not be dislodged with duster spray or a thin stiff wire. Eventually I brushed it away (?) by passing a narrow strip of paper through the gap.
Proud Mary
Tue Feb 23 2010, 08:55AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Perhaps the rectifier diode is working partly in varactor mode, rich in harmonics.
radiotech
Tue Feb 23 2010, 07:17PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
My diode was 1N21. It comes in a neat ceramic package and was in old radars. Narda used to furnish them wrapped in lead foil. The probes in my Narda 8700 uses thermocouples, which is why one shouldn't drop the probe. Only one way to learn this. ref Narda test set manual.
1266952640 2463 FT65254 Scan0024
G^3
Fri Oct 15 2010, 06:19AM
I bought some 1n5711's and made a simple detector and it worked. I have a new microwave and to light the LED I had to wedge a plastic bag folded over a few times into the door.

Strangely the LED on my detector fried and is now an open circuit.
Adam Munich
Fri Oct 15 2010, 07:18AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I've used an AM radio to detect microwave leaks before. Tune it to an empty place on the band and put on some earphones. Turn up the volume as high as it goes and fire up the microwave. If you hear a 60hz hum it's leaky.

If it fried the LED then that's quite a leaky oven.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: