bwsparxz (51)
Bonehead (34)
Tetris (27)

Next birthdays
06/29 Wirenut (47)
06/29 Dieu (35)
06/29 M477i3win2 (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building a SCR Clamp

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
aonomus
Mon Feb 16 2009, 08:01PM Print
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
So for my 3.8kJ capacitor bank I'm using puck SCRs, however after going through 2 iterations of clamps, I thought it would be helpful to get some second opinions.

My first iteration was mostly full of crap, 3/8" thick aluminum plates with screws that bent the plates under slight tension. Not even worth mentioning or showing pics.

My second iteration is below, 3/4" wide, 1/8" steel flats, and wide aluminum flats as conductors, this one seems to have much more promise, but its still not enough. The datasheet lists the clamping force as 2000lb or 8.9kN, and under a moderate amount of pressures the bars bend, as shown below. Also, I've added a single washer in the middle of each aluminum flat to concentrate the force in the middle of the plate to get maximum contact. Another problem is that the bolts are 1/4", and probably would not stand to a shared load of 2000lb tensile.

IMG 2452

IMG 2451

IMG 2453

Unfortunately I don't think that there is sufficient pressure, so my third iteration on paper is currently using 1" wide steel, likely 4 plates per side, thicker bolts like 3/8" or 1/2", and a center bolt with belleville washers to calibrate the pressure to 2000lb (similar to Link2 ). This final iteration will end up costing me probably 4x as much, but the SCRs should last well I think....

What are other people's experiences when building their own SCR clamp? Does anyone with more experience in steel think I need to add more steel to the clamp?
Myke
Mon Feb 16 2009, 08:16PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Even though I haven't built and SCR clamp before, I would say that you should add more steel to both sides and move the bolts closer together. The farther away they are from the SCR, the easier it is to bend the steel.
badastronaut
Tue Feb 17 2009, 12:59AM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
Use thicker steel, at least 3/8" and use belville washers, they will help. You'll also want to use insulating plates between the metals so you don't short everything out. To compress the washer, I would suggest using a hydraulic press to precompress the washers. Well, you only really need one washer. If not, you can use several bolts around the periphery of the scr and tighten them incrementally all around and evenly to reduce point stress.
aonomus
Tue Feb 17 2009, 01:19AM
I just put a quote request in to metal supermarkets for 4 pieces of 1 1/4" square aluminum, 10cm long. Those should be sufficient no? Kizmo's SCR clamp used 30mm square aluminum, and his held up a treat.

Moving to thicker and thicker metal I'd really like to use aluminum, I don't have cobalt steel drill bits and I will just wear mine out drilling through so much steel, my only real choice is a big thick piece of aluminum which is actually reasonable to machine.
rp181
Tue Feb 17 2009, 02:30AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Aluminum will work. Keep the bolts as close as you can to the SCR.
El_Roberto
Wed Feb 18 2009, 07:31AM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
You Could use 2 bolts on each side of the SCR to make them easier to tighten, just tighten one then the one next to it and then tighten the first one again (and repeat till super tight), I dont know how well this works but someone told me it makes it easier.
Andyman
Thu Feb 19 2009, 12:01AM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
As long as you don't drill with high rpm, you shouldn't have a big problem with worn out bits.
aonomus
Thu Feb 19 2009, 12:29AM
Lowest setting on the drill press with cutting fluid and a decent rate of chip removal seems to be doing it, I just need to get more cutting fluid cause steel chews through it...

Regardless I think I might go with aluminum just to avoid corrosion issues.
Firefox
Thu Feb 19 2009, 05:43PM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
Looking at your SCR clamps, they seem grossly undersized. I have two SCRs (had three, but one went in the junkbox, which gets mailed out tomorrow), C387Ns with clamps, and the clamps seem to be 1" square steel bars with half inch bolts to clamp them together. The terminals were insulated from the clamp by a plastic shield over half the clamp.
Andyman
Thu Feb 19 2009, 06:02PM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just get some nice thick 7075 aluminum bar. cheesey
It's probably out of your price range, so just go with some 6061 or 6063.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: