All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback driver destroying MOSFETs

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ScotchTapeLord
Thu Jan 29 2009, 11:59PM Print
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
I have a 555+MOSFET flyback driver and it's reduced two 600V 15A MOSFETS to 5 ohms resistors from gate to source... How is this even possible?
Fri Jan 30 2009, 12:24AM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
Read Link2 for a little more information. If you search here at the forum there should be a handful of threads about this.
ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 30 2009, 03:18AM
Thanks for the link. The search results for "flyback" were a bit overwhelming!

But still, I'm curious as to how the CEMF found its way to the gate, especially with an ultra fast freewheel diode and a capacitor across the primary.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Jan 30 2009, 08:43AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Is the supply for the 555 well filtered and decoupled? Do you use a voltage regulator for it (you should use one)? The problem with dying 555's is usually the noise on its supply rails, caused by current spikes drawn from the supply by the transistor.
You should also have a ~0.1uF cap from pin 5 to ground.
And finally, aren't your MOSFETs overheating?
Antonio
Fri Jan 30 2009, 12:54PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

Thanks for the link. The search results for "flyback" were a bit overwhelming!

But still, I'm curious as to how the CEMF found its way to the gate, especially with an ultra fast freewheel diode and a capacitor across the primary.

You don't use a diode across the primary in a flyback circuit. The usual connection is a high-voltage capacitor of a few nF across the primary coil and a fast, high voltage, diode in parallel with the transistor, anode grounded (most mosfets already have one). If anything gets so hot that you can´t touch, something is seriously wrong.
ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 30 2009, 08:55PM
I had it working perfectly at first; the MOSFET remained cool. I was using it and then I turned it off to replace the 10K pot with a 1M pot in order to try it at lower frequencies. When I turned it back on it was a MOSFET killing machine.

I would think that a diode across the primary would take care of all the CEMF.

I have decided that since I was only feeding the coil 12V, it must be a problem with the 555 and gate, simply because the CEMF couldn't be too much for collecter to emitter breakdown. I will try decoupling and a regulator now.

Thanks for the help.

Is it okay to run a flyback with an unloaded secondary for a long time? For my application it will require an unpredictable amount of open-circuit time, and that is why I have switched from ignition coils.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Jan 30 2009, 09:02PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

I had it working perfectly at first; the MOSFET remained cool. I was using it and then I turned it off to replace the 10K pot with a 1M pot in order to try it at lower frequencies. When I turned it back on it was a MOSFET killing machine.
So here is your problem. Lowering frequency increases primary current, with an ideal inductor the relation is linear, so if you reduced the frequency 100 times, you will have 100 times higher primary current. However, the core starts saturating with so much flux density, which further increases the current.

The usual rule of thumb is that if you can hear it 'whine', the frequency is too low (<16kHz). Don't use under 15kHz to drive TV transformers.

ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 30 2009, 09:23PM
I thought that could have been the problem, but even at about 6kHz the MOSFET was cool... and I also tried going back to the higher frequency, but I must have had a defective 555 by that point. Whatever, I'll add the safety precautions and see what happens.

One other problem, that was my last MOSFET, so I'm down to four IGBTs. From other discussions, I see that they are very similar, but the drivers for IGBTs seem to involve gate-driving ICs or GDTs. Is driving an IGBT with a 555 bad? I've measured my IGBT's gate-collector capacitance at 2.4nF.
Antonio
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:09PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
"I would think that a diode across the primary would take care of all the CEMF."
Would also impede the correct working of the flyback circuit. To have a high voltage pulse at the output when the transistor switches off, another high-voltage pulse (easily > 1000V) must appear in the primary winding. A diode would clamp it, and clamp the output voltage too.
If the circuit was working with the diode in place, you probably connected the primary winding inverted.
Look also at the ground connection of the circuit. Without ground, with positive high-voltage at the output the whole circuit tends to negative high-voltage, and a rupture will occur somewhere.
The lowering of the operating frequency really increases the current in the transistor, as mentioned. But it's perfectly safe to operate at audio frequencies, if the primary winding has sufficient inductance and the power supply voltage is not too high. Using the normal primary winding of the flyback, and a power supply of a few tens of Volts, it's really necessary to operate at a few kHz to have significant output power.
ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:30PM
Oh, okay. I actually think I was using the diode across the transistor properly. In any case I am definitely doing it correctly now.

The post I was referred to says decoupling should be .1-1uF? Is there such a thing as too much decoupling? I have the decoupling capacitor before a 12V regulator, is that right or should it be after it?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: