Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
PYLEMET-mk2 (35)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Diodes in anti-parallel

Move Thread LAN_403
Berni
Mon Jan 26 2009, 04:56AM
Berni Registered Member #1132 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 06:15PM
100V that is a aful lot of kickback. And you will need some beefy diodes to clamp that kickback. With my first coilgun i had a 300A peak diode explode, so then i used 3 of them parallel.
Barry
Mon Jan 26 2009, 02:54PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

i measured -100v only once. be, again, is there any way to reverse the damage? im thinking like memory on batteries, they lose their ability to store their charge if you keep charging them, but i don't think its the same concept. but any ideas?
You can repair or at least improve the dielectric insulation layer by reforming the capacitors. Just apply a low dc voltage and monitor the current. Whenever the current drops to near zero, increase the voltage again. This usually takes 6 - 8 hours.

A link to an example of how I did this last weekend: Link2

Cheers, Barry
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Jan 27 2009, 04:10AM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
how to i know what the peak amount of current the diodes are rated for? if its 60 amps continuous. somewhere i read its about 10 times its continuous rating. not sure what to believe and what not to believe
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Jan 27 2009, 04:23AM
also, will diodes in anti parralell lengthen the pulse? and thus even out the current with a lower peak? :\
Barry
Tue Jan 27 2009, 06:09AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

how to i know what the peak amount of current the diodes are rated for? if its 60 amps continuous. somewhere i read its about 10 times its continuous rating. not sure what to believe and what not to believe
A reliable rule-of-thumb for estimating the peak short-duration current is a factor of ten (as you say).

For example, if a diode is rated for 60A continuous, then we can reasonably expect it to handle 600A for any pulse that lasts less than 10 msec.

It is a good thing that virtually all coilguns use pulses less than 10 msec. Our typical coilgun will have 1 - 5 msec firing time.

hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

also, will diodes in anti parralell lengthen the pulse? and thus even out the current with a lower peak? :\
These protection diodes will indeed lengthen the pulse. The peak is just as high, because the diode doesn't turn on until it the discharge reaches peak current. Then it simply takes longer for the current to ramp down (compared to having no diode).

The extra time is generally not a big concern, because you can tune the coil for a faster discharge by, say, removing turns to reduce inductance.

Cheers, Barry
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Jan 27 2009, 05:57PM
Thanks alot :)
KLH
Tue Jan 27 2009, 06:47PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
Myke wrote ...

I think the resistance put in series with the diode should be large enough to keep the peak current under the peak current of the diode (it's more than 60A).

No matter how much resistance is placed in series with the diode, the peak current is always going to be the same until the coil discharges. Inductors are current sources, not voltage sources. They will change their output voltage to maintain a specified current. Higher resistance will simply make the coil discharge faster, at the expense of a higher voltage pulse. (The voltage can be calculated by: Coil Current * (Resistor Value + Diode Voltage Drop).) Adding a resistor will also keep some of the power (but not all) from dissipating in an expensive diode.

Barry wrote ...

The extra time is generally not a big concern, because you can tune the coil for a faster discharge by, say, removing turns to reduce inductance.

That's possible but can only be done at the expense of a higher peak current, which could mean a much bigger SCR.
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Jan 27 2009, 09:39PM
killah573 wrote ...

Barry wrote ...

That's possible but can only be done at the expense of a higher peak current, which could mean a much bigger SCR.
i'm not using an SCR. i made an extremely fast acting switch. only because:
1) i don't have an air compressor for air injected projectile
2) i don't have an SCR, nor the money to buy one :)
so far, with a full discharge, there is very little welding in the switch. so its good for now. cheesey

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: