Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
PYLEMET-mk2 (35)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

3 Dimensional Cathode Ray Tube

Move Thread LAN_403
Hon1nbo
Sun Jan 04 2009, 05:26PM Print
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
ok, first to the Mods: I figured this thread would be best since it is the acceleration of ions, but feel free to move it elsewhere

the idea i need clarifying on: In a CRT TV, two Electromagnetic Coils deflect the accelerated beam of electrons to be able to hit any given point in a two dimensional plane, in a vacuum
However, from what I understand, the same could be done if the electric potential was high enough, in a low pressure gas (such that the stream of ions causes the emission of light from the shift in energy levels of electrons in the atoms of the gas) and that these beams may also be manipulated in two dimensions using magnetic fields...
so here is my idea, if one were to made a large, symmetric chamber, filled with a low pressure gas, and built like a CRT TV, BUT the chamber were to be made of glass or some transparent material, then the beam would be visible along the path... However, if an array of smaller, yet of decent power, magnetic coils were strategically placed around one half of the chamber's circumference, then the third set of magnets could deflect the stream of ions along a THIRD dimension, alowing some BASIC 3D figures to be made

i understand that the range of figures that could be made would be very limited, but it might make an interesting Senior Project for next year, and having seen on this forum how easy it is to make a Cathode ray Tube, and knowing that my school has a vacuum pump and some very willing-to-help-out teachers, I figure that maybe something might come out of it...

The main issue I am having with this is whether or not I could make multiple deflections in this third Axis, or if the magnetic coils (which are on opposite ends of the chamber, since no single coil could make the beam follow an "S" pattern) would interfere with each other in an unpredictable, or undesirable, manner...
Myke
Sun Jan 04 2009, 07:56PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Deflection along the third dimension would mean that the beam would have to terminate at a certain point in the tube?
Also, I don't think that you will be able to see the beam unless the tube were filled with a low pressure gas so that the electrons could collide with more atoms. Cool idea still. I might just be misunderstanding the idea of deflection in the third dimension.
rp181
Sun Jan 04 2009, 08:46PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
If you could see the beam, then how would 3d shapes be made? it would be a bunch of lines. What if you have several meshes covered in phosphor that you alternate the charge between?
Hon1nbo
Mon Jan 05 2009, 04:22AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
I thought about the meshes, but figured it would be more complex.

the third dimension idea does not have the beam terminating at a given point (though that would be awesome) but allows, for example, an a-shaped curve that is visible while the beam can hit amy of the two dimensional points in a normal CRT TV at the end of the chamber

and in my above post I stated that the chamber would need a low pressure gas for a visible beam

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: