Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hollow projectiles?

Move Thread LAN_403
Barry
Wed Jan 07 2009, 03:03PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
blackgrunge wrote ...

... people may be picking up some extra velocity when using a ferromagnetic ring or hollow cylinder is that when the projectile leaves the coil the capacitors aren't done completely discharging and the inductor is still producing a magnetic field. In doing so eddy currents are created in the ring and it is pushed away from the coil as well as pulled at first by the coil.

Nice thought but it doesn't work that way. On entry, the eddy currents will reduce the magnetic attraction by some percentage. On exit they work the same, the magnetic attraction is the same dominate factor as on entry, and eddy currents will reduce that attraction by the same percentage.

In theory it would be possible to both attract on entry, and repel on exit. But to do so requires changing the frequency. You'd need a low frequency pulse to attract, as usual. Once the projectile reaches the midpoint change to a much higher frequency so that the skin depth becomes much thinner, thereby becoming an induction launcher. The coil won't 'see' the inner ferrous core of the projectile.

In practice a double-mode launcher is a bad idea. All the factors that make a good switched-reluctance launcher will make a bad induction launcher, and vice versa. It might work but it will never work very well.

Cheers, Barry
Barry greets 2009 warmly, gives her a hug and offers her a drink. Or two. And hints of fun things to come. "Let's get cozy," he says.
rp181
Wed Jan 07 2009, 03:47PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Awhile back someone proposed a 2 part projectile(Link2, steel and aluminum to do what you said . look up that thread to see what people said.
The eddy currents exert a force on the projectile, but the net force is still zero assuming a even pulse.
Barry
Thu Jan 08 2009, 03:01PM
From another conversation, rp181 wishes to clarify his answer with:
"By even i meant a sine wave where the peak was when the projectile was in the center. This would also require a constant speed on the projectile though. I found the thread: Using both induction and reluctance for coilgun on Sun Apr 16 2006"
Thanks rp! interesting reading that arrives at about the same conclusion.
hotcrazyfruit
Sun Jan 25 2009, 08:33PM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
Barry wrote ...

For flight stability we need the center of pressure to be located behind the center of mass. Or spin-stabilize the projectile.
that only happens at speeds higher than mach 1, or supersonic rounds. which is hard to do unless you have a really large capacitor bank, a good efficiency and something to shoot at xD.
hotcrazyfruit
Sun Jan 25 2009, 08:34PM
and your thinking of the skin effect. and that happens on high frequency electricity. it all goes to the outside of the wire basically. "to the skin". i think.
Barry
Mon Jan 26 2009, 01:14AM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

Barry wrote ...

For flight stability we need the center of pressure to be located behind the center of mass. Or spin-stabilize the projectile.
that only happens at speeds higher than mach 1, or supersonic rounds. which is hard to do unless you have a really large capacitor bank, a good efficiency and something to shoot at xD.
It's dead simple -- even low-speed arrows and shuttlecocks use 'feathers' to stabilize flight. It works by putting most of the air resistance (center of pressure) behind the center of mass. The prevents tumbling and, if you angle the feathers slightly off-axis, it even provides a small spin to keep it moving relatively straight.

I'm not sure what effects you might be thinking of in regards to supersonic speeds. I hope it's a problem I need to deal with soon but, alas, it looks like it could be awhile for me.

Cheers, Barry
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like his passengers.
hotcrazyfruit
Mon Jan 26 2009, 08:43PM
Barry wrote ...

hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

Barry wrote ...

It's dead simple -- even low-speed arrows and shuttlecocks use 'feathers' to stabilize flight. It works by putting most of the air resistance (center of pressure) behind the center of mass. The prevents tumbling and, if you angle the feathers slightly off-axis, it even provides a small spin to keep it moving relatively straight.

I'm not sure what effects you might be thinking of in regards to supersonic speeds. I hope it's a problem I need to deal with soon but, alas, it looks like it could be awhile for me.

Cheers, Barry
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like his passengers.

very true, the comment about the skin effect was to another poster, but i remembered that at speeds higher than mach one, the center of resistance can be put behind the actual bullet. kind of the same concept with the arrow and shuttle cock, only the center of resistance is pushed behind the bullet. and thus creating extreme stability in the projectile, even more so than an arrow.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: