Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun (basics?)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
mogallin
Wed Dec 31 2008, 05:47PM Print
mogallin Registered Member #1883 Joined: Thu Dec 25 2008, 01:58PM
I would just like to ensure I've got a few things right regarding coilguns:

The higher capacitance, the longer discharge time
(Meaning too high capacitance would decelerate the projectile, unless the current is switched of mid-pulse)

The higher voltage, the stronger magnetic field
(Does the voltage effect the discharge time?)

Will there be a point at which the projectile wont accelerate towards the magnetic field due to some strange physical phenomenon?

And will any capacitor do, or just some?
rp181
Wed Dec 31 2008, 08:25PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
The higher capicitance does mean a longer pulse, if everything stays the same. Higher current means a bigger magnetic field. But high voltage allows more current to be drawn, due to ohms law. Higher voltage = shorter pulse with higher current.
A projectile will stop accelerating in a coil when the magnetic fields have a neutral affect, When magnetic forces act equally on the projectile. This happens in the middle of the coil (for longer coils, it will be a middle section). This is why you want the current to be switched off when the projectile reaches the middle, if it is still on and the projectile is past the middle, the fields will start pulling it backwards.
blackgrunge
Wed Dec 31 2008, 08:27PM
blackgrunge Registered Member #1889 Joined: Mon Dec 29 2008, 07:36AM
Like rp181 said higher capacitance means longer discharge if everything is kept the same. Sometimes that can be good, sometimes bad. It all depends on the inductance of your coils. With that value you can calculate discharge time.

Use these to save you time and find out discharge relationships with inductance:

Link2
Link2
El_Roberto
Wed Dec 31 2008, 08:31PM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
Dont forget that the discharge time and current also depends on the size of your coil, try using barry's simular to play around with various values. Link2

Edit: Got beaten to it!
mogallin
Wed Dec 31 2008, 10:04PM
mogallin Registered Member #1883 Joined: Thu Dec 25 2008, 01:58PM
Thanks. Good to know these things for sure.

Another thing i would like to know just so that i dont go and buy stuff that dont works;
Will any capacitor with the right voltage and capacitans do, or are some capacitors intended for use with, say AC currents and therefore wont work?
blackgrunge
Wed Dec 31 2008, 11:14PM
Its all about voltage. Anywhere around 300v and up will stand up to inductance pretty nicely but aim for 400 to 450v. Another factor is internal resistance but most of the time it won't really matter. The only time it does is when your trying to you a capacitor for a car audio system but those are only made for 24v. Read carefully the voltage ratings and if it says it has an operating voltage of 400VAC check its DC voltage rating because they might not be exactly the same.
rp181
Thu Jan 01 2009, 12:02AM
I realized i wrote a short article on this:
Link2
disregard the first paragraph, its wrong =p ( I think, someone wanna clarify this?)
Take a look at this page for good graphs showing voltage vs speed (look at the no enhancement graphs)
Link2
Also,
Do AC capacitors discharge AC?

Barry
Thu Jan 01 2009, 12:17AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
rp181 wrote ...

... Higher voltage = shorter pulse with higher current...

Wrong, higher voltage simply means higher current. The pulse width stays the same for all coilguns that use LC timing. The LC time constant does not depend on the capacitor's voltage. You can also verify it using my RLC simulator.

For a fixed inductance and capacitance, the discharge looks like a sinusoid. The frequency is fixed, and the only way to change it is to add some type of turn-off circuit or tinker with L and C values.

The LC timing is so important that I made a separate lookup table in Java to help you find arrive at your desired values: LC Time Simulation.

Cheers, Barry
pɐǝɥ ʎɯ oʇ ƃuıɥsnɹ sı pooןq ǝɥʇ.
rp181
Thu Jan 01 2009, 12:58AM
Sorry i wasn't clear, i meant highering voltage while keeping energy the same, so lowering capacitance.
blackgrunge
Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:40AM
@rp181

cheesey there's no such thing as an AC capacitor...
When a capacitor is rated or talks about being AC it means that its purpose is to be a filtering capacitor. So no an AC capacitor cannot discharge AC because it cannot be charged with AC current because the voltage is constantly changing. Unless you want to try and stop the voltage at its peaks confused
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: