Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

coil suggestions?

Move Thread LAN_403
Killa-X
Sat Dec 20 2008, 09:23AM Print
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I have 14 awg wire, and my current messy'ish coil is like over 6 layers. I've been told buy a guy that knows about coilguns (never knew this) and he said with 14 awg, this is a huge waste of energy, and I should be doing around 2 inch wide, and 3 layers.

I'm asking you guys what do you think I should do? with my current coil, 5 400V 470uf caps at 380V cant even shoot a sharpen nail through both sides of a soda can. And he beleives 2 inch 3 layers will really kick up the power..
El_Roberto
Sat Dec 20 2008, 10:07AM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
Well with a 2 inch long coil (and estimated inner diameter of 10mm) 6 layers should give you a pulse period of about 2.14ms (with about 30 turns per layer) personally I think this is too short for such a low power so I would actually increase the number of layers to about 9 giving you a pulse perid of 4ms. Experiment and see what happens, but first what are you switching it with? Because removing layers will dramatiacally increase the current and if you're using an SCR you could ruin it.
rp181
Sat Dec 20 2008, 03:44PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Heres what i think:
Your wire size is way too big for that amount of energy. A thinner wire with ~2layers ~2in long will work well. Roberto is saying to add turns to increase resistance, when you can lower gauge. I use 12AWG with 1kJ, and the coil barely gets warm. Also, based on barry's simulations, a projectile should be 75% the length of the coil.
El_Roberto
Sat Dec 20 2008, 08:40PM
^^ What guage are you thinking? because with 18AWG it would have a peak current of 4115Amps and a pulse period of only 600microseconds, I doubt that would work well and even if he used 22awg the pulse time is 1 millisecond with 2746amps which I think is still to short.
KLH
Sat Dec 20 2008, 09:57PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
rp181 wrote ...

Heres what i think:
Your wire size is way too big for that amount of energy. A thinner wire with ~2layers ~2in long will work well. Roberto is saying to add turns to increase resistance, when you can lower gauge. I use 12AWG with 1kJ, and the coil barely gets warm.

It's not just whether the coil gets warm after a few shots; the resistance of the coil makes a BIG difference. With my 1903.5J capacitor bank and a 100uH 0.04 ohm 10 AWG coil, the coil dissipates over 50% (!!!) of the input energy (6170A * 0.04Ohm = 246.8V dropped). After realizing this, I decided either to make a coil using 6AWG square wire, or (actually) make a multistage gun using smaller 10 AWG coils.
Killa-X
Sun Dec 21 2008, 01:00AM
Mind that radial 400V 470uf capacitors arnt really a Pulse capacitor last i checked. but comparing to when i did like 18 layers of 22 guage, at 20mm long coil, my 14awg wire was A LOT better.
El_Roberto
Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:02AM
How long is your projectile? This will determine how long your coil should be, your projectile should be about 75% of the length of the coil. I personally believe your coil should be about 1.0mH (This gives a pulse time of 4.8ms and a current of 583A peak) so put all the information into this calculator Link2 and it will give you your coil perameters.
Killa-X
Sun Dec 21 2008, 04:58PM
Well, my most common fired ammo is 1 15/16 inches (4.9mm) and my barrel outer diameter (pen) is ~9MM
El_Roberto
Sun Dec 21 2008, 08:35PM
Well then your coil should be 2.56inces long with about 39 turns per layer and 9.7 layers, using 14AWG wire.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: