Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help with induction CG design

Move Thread LAN_403
TodX
Thu Dec 11 2008, 10:28AM Print
TodX Registered Member #1118 Joined: Wed Nov 14 2007, 09:42AM
Hi guys, I've been planning on making an induction CG for a while, and it looks like I'll have a few weeks to work on it soon, but the design I'm thinking of has one major down fall: it would use the projectile as a moving switch to progressively "turn-on" the next stage of coils.

The setup I'm thinking of looks kind of like a mix between a conventional cg and a railgun, though it's still functioning on induction cg principles (the current running through projectile from contacts doesn't do any work). Unlike a railgun though, I can't use solid rails. One side of the contact can be a solid rail, since it will always be connected to GND, or neg cap bank bus. The other side however, has to have multiple contacts that will be connect coil sections as the projectile travels further down the barrel.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to come up with something that won't just weld the projectile in place? Or should I just give this design up and try for a solid state switching system for enabling coil sections (which is expensive...)?
(P.S. I'm planning to use about 5000uF @ 450V of caps to power this thing, and very thick coil wiring, so we're talking around 1kA for current through the projectile)

Background on design: After playing with FEMM and a spice tool for a while, I found two important details that greatly influenced this design:
1. The best place to put the projectile is right at the end of the coil for maximum force.
2. The current generated in the projectile actually takes some time to decrease to 0 due to the low resistance in a small, solid copper peice(takes about 1.5ms for current to go from 45kA to 5kA, atleast in the setup I was simulating.)

The reason for #1 is the the way the magnetic field lines curve right as they exit the coil. The axial component of the magnetic field generates the current in the projectile as the field ramps up, but the radial component of the field passing through the projectile is what exerts the forward accelerating force. So the goal of this design is such that once the current in the projectile is ramped up (400us) the fact that the coil continually "ends" right behind the projectile as it moves should maintain a fairly strong magnetic field with a good radial component to it. Hopefully, putting all that current in the projectile to good use =).

Let me know what you guys think.
Fraggle
Fri Dec 12 2008, 12:11AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
I saw one on the internet that used a low current supply switched by the projectile to trigger separate spark gaps.
TodX
Fri Dec 12 2008, 01:16AM
TodX Registered Member #1118 Joined: Wed Nov 14 2007, 09:42AM
Fraggle wrote ...

I saw one on the internet that used a low current supply switched by the projectile to trigger separate spark gaps.

Do you have a link to that by any chance?
Electroholic
Fri Dec 12 2008, 01:23AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
this?
Link2
El_Roberto
Fri Dec 12 2008, 01:48AM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
^^ Wow thats impressive, how did he get it to go 225m/s??? He's only using 8x 120j capacitors! Is this just a multistage coilgun with a different triggering method or what? (refering to "induction gun 2")
Camel
Fri Dec 12 2008, 06:57AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
Induction guns use aluminium or copper projectiles. They work by creating a large electromagnetic pulse, which generates eddy currents in the projectile. The eddy currents create their own magnetic fields which oppose the field of the coil. Induction guns can be a lot more efficient than coil guns because the projectile is close to the coil when the gun is fired.
El_Roberto
Fri Dec 12 2008, 10:44AM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
SO if I put an aluminium projectile in the centre of the coil in my coilgun and fired it, it would work? If so would it work better than using my steel projectile?
WaveRider
Fri Dec 12 2008, 02:07PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
SO if I put an aluminium projectile in the centre of the coil in my coilgun and fired it, it would work? If so would it work better than using my steel projectile?

It is not likely to work to well. Induction guns require very fast rise times on the current to function well. In a normal reluctance coilgun, you may see the projectile move a little, but there will be no sound-barrier breaking! wink

Induction guns have the potential to be more efficient than reluctance guns because they are not limited by saturation of a magnetic material (like iron). They are limited by the achievable rise times (meaning very high voltages compared to reluctance guns) and the conductivity of the projectile (do the induced currents make it melt..!!!).

The required coil current rise times are a function of the conductivity and thickness of the projectile metal. Generally, if the field penetration is less than 20-50% or so by the time the projectile has exited the coil, good efficiency can be had. This would equate to:
0.5 * radius * radius/ (sigma * mu_0) =approx t

"radius" = projectile radius
"sigma" = projectile conductivity (in S/m)
"mu_0" = vacuum permeability (4*pi*10^-7 H/m)
"t" = expected current rise time needed for good efficiency.

In many instances, the current rise times will be on the order of 10-250us for induction guns compared to reluctance ones.
Cheers!
Fraggle
Sat Dec 13 2008, 01:47AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Yep, that`s the one.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: