Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Capacitors and Charging

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
guitarlord66
Sat Nov 29 2008, 12:43AM Print
guitarlord66 Registered Member #1805 Joined: Sat Nov 08 2008, 06:29AM
Hi,

My coil gun is powered by a bank of photo flash capacitors at 330v 1000uf with a bank of camera chargers. I want to know how I could wire a blue LED to switch on at 330v because the camera chargers LED's switch on at only 250v. I'm sure its just a couple of resistors in series or something but the calculators on the net don't go up to 330v so can anyone help? Also is there a simple way of making the chargers stop charging at 330v? because they just keep going and I don't wanna blow my capacitors.

I don't want to move to a boost converter just yet but I will in the future when I learn a bit more about electronics.

EDIT - I found some NIMH batteries in a toy plane I had lying around and they are joined to equal 4.8v is there a way to cut them down to 3v but keep them at 4.8v for charging? sorry if that sounds confusing.

Thank you
Arcstarter
Sat Nov 29 2008, 12:49AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Also is there a simple way of making the chargers stop charging at 330v? because they just keep going and I don't wanna blow my capacitors.
Yes, you can just use a voltage comparator, like Uzzor's:
Link2
Turkey9
Sat Nov 29 2008, 05:41AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
you can put the output of the comparator that Arcstarter mentioned to a relay that will disconnect the cap bank from the positive charger supply... you can also put your blue LED along with a 470R resistor from the output of the comparator to show when charging is complete.
rp181
Sat Nov 29 2008, 04:32PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Just hook an LED directly to the bank with some high resistance resistors. As charging goes, the LED will get brighter. Make sure your resistors wont blow, or they let too much current through.
guitarlord66
Sat Nov 29 2008, 11:30PM
rp181 wrote ...

Just hook an LED directly to the bank with some high resistance resistors. As charging goes, the LED will get brighter. Make sure your resistors wont blow, or they let too much current through.

Do you know where I could find out how to work out what resistors I would need for the blue LED to switch on at 330v? Like would the 1/4 watt ones I have work or would I have to get 1watt ones? I'm not really sure about resistors at high voltages.
rp181
Sun Nov 30 2008, 01:06AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
The LED doesn't switch on, it slowly gets brighter as voltage goes up. I used some 1/4w ones. Im not sure about the resistance, i heat shrinked it all. Just start high, and come down (by high, a couple million ohms). Just to be safe, put the LED and resistors in a container, it can blow pretty catastrophically.

Come to think of it, just use ohms law. current is = voltage/resistance. That would (led power, in Amperes)=330/x. Solve for x.

I reread your original post, you said that the capacitors are 330v. f your in 120v land, just use a voltage doubler (google voltage doubler). I use one, and it charges directly to 330v, peak ive had is around 335v. You wont need an indicator then, it immediatly charges.
guitarlord66
Sun Nov 30 2008, 01:53AM
rp181 wrote ...

The LED doesn't switch on, it slowly gets brighter as voltage goes up. I used some 1/4w ones. Im not sure about the resistance, i heat shrinked it all. Just start high, and come down (by high, a couple million ohms). Just to be safe, put the LED and resistors in a container, it can blow pretty catastrophically.

Come to think of it, just use ohms law. current is = voltage/resistance. That would (led power, in Amperes)=330/x. Solve for x.

I reread your original post, you said that the capacitors are 330v. f your in 120v land, just use a voltage doubler (Google voltage doubler). I use one, and it charges directly to 330v, peak I've had is around 335v. You wont need an indicator then, it immediately charges.

Ok thanks, Ill mess around with some resistors and see what I can do. I'm in a 240v land so the voltage doubler wont work and I like my coil guns being portable so I think this will be my last coil gun before I build a boost converter. I did try a resister and LED just before and it burnt out and burnt my finger. Would it be a good idea to try and build a voltage regulator to work with camera chargers so that I can slowly learn how parts of boost converters work?
Camel
Sun Nov 30 2008, 06:17AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
I'd say if you are going to put in a voltage comparator, you should just go the whole way and build a boost converter. Basic boost converters are pretty basic, its just an inductor and a switch :)
Killa-X
Sun Nov 30 2008, 06:30AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Camel wrote ...

I'd say if you are going to put in a voltage comparator, you should just go the whole way and build a boost converter. Basic boost converters are pretty basic, its just an inductor and a switch :)

I wanted to make a boost converter, and got the stuff for it, but I wanted it to run off a few double A batterys, and things show, camera circuits are best for what I want. So :/ I want small and portability thus is why i wanted to use only a few AA battery, and not some car battery or moto cycle battery.
guitarlord66
Sun Nov 30 2008, 06:32AM
Is Uzzors boost converter good to build for a first boost converter?
http://uzzors2k.000webhost.com/index.php?page=450vboostconverter

One question with that boost converter is how do I know what capacitors I need? It says 10nf which I'm sure is 0.01uf but what type of capacitor do I need and what voltage?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: