Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Quick help with wire/coil

Move Thread LAN_403
Gratitude
Sat Nov 15 2008, 05:27PM
Gratitude Registered Member #1702 Joined: Wed Sept 17 2008, 10:14PM
actually as i remember, Barry sent the post in one thread regarding the coil winding.
he said if we want to make the coil for 100mm with 10 layer, it's better to take 50mm in 10 layer and the rest should be with less layer because of electomagnetic when its flow in wire will prevent the the projecile to take the highest efficiency,
the layer of coil has the peak, and it has some dependencies which directly depend on your fire tube 1-inner and outer diameter,
2-wire gauge
3-layers of wire
4-its very important HOW BIG IS YOUR COIL LENGTH ON TUBE?

anything else, i'm here
Killa-X
Sat Nov 15 2008, 09:46PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Well, Since I didn't know how big to do it and just slapped it on...

First off, Its on an ink pen.

Inner diameter - 10mm
Outer Diameter - ~26mm
Wire Guage - 14
Coil Length - Ink pen size - 79mm
Input Voltage - 1 400v 470uf capacitor
Switching - SCR - Cant give you the speeds unless I re-find it on digikey!

Anything else you need?

Also I took like another coil maybe 20mm but only 2 layers on the same ink pen and didnt get much results. But, its dinky.

How does this wire work? Is it sucky at low voltage and super grande at 400? 100 bad D:
rp181
Sat Nov 15 2008, 11:09PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
79mm seems a big long for this power. Try using 1" - 1.5". You projectile should be ~75% the length of the coil, and should just barley be inside the coil.

Higher voltage makes a quicker pulse, so the magnetic field is stronger. I think a good voltage is 300v, up to 1kV. More with large banks.

Any chance for a pic?
Killa-X
Sun Nov 16 2008, 12:00AM
well I'll picture the coil befor I make it into a 1-1.5 inch coil. Should I do the whole 40ft of wire or specific layer count? I'll edit this reply with pictures soon. I'm on my iPod at a wifi hot spot so it might be awhile befor I can send pictures.
also when I make the new coil, I'll be sure to have a rig so the coil is exactly good wounded and flat side. The big one I didn't, and the sides well , curve.

Link2

Penny is for reference. Yeah, thats my big crappy coil. No side blockers, first time coiling thick wire, and .. BIG XD I should mention my projectile is about 1 and 7/8 inches long.
guitardude012
Sun Nov 16 2008, 07:40PM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
I guess I would have recommended increasing capacitance if your switch can take it. Capacitors are cheaper than 14awg coils =/ example Also something seems off about the solder "pfffing" I would remove the solder from the coil leads, file the enamel off the connection area, and resolder.
Killa-X
Sun Nov 16 2008, 10:45PM
guitardude012 wrote ...

I guess I would have recommended increasing capacitance if your switch can take it. Capacitors are cheaper than 14awg coils =/ example Also something seems off about the solder "pfffing" I would remove the solder from the coil leads, file the enamel off the connection area, and resolder.

Well, It might have been because I cut it, put solder at the very end enamel, and then solder that to the wire. I haven't tryed doing 400V with the enamel actually scrapped off with a razor yet. But yeah, I got 10 of these 400V 470uf capacitors each $1.50, and I've shot 5 of them off at 350V before with my SCR switch so..

I still need to know though, Should I just wind all my coil into a 1.5 inch long coil and pay no attention to a specific layer count until it works?
guitardude012
Mon Nov 17 2008, 12:21AM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
I have had success with: 3900-7800uF @ 350v with a coil very close to yours except mine was only 4 layers.

I would leave your coil like it is and use more caps in parallel since you have them. Be careful not to exceed the limits of your SCR. In my case I found in simulation that I was peaking at well over 1kA.

Improvements:
It sounds like you need to resolder the connections to the coil with the filing method I described. I have been careful to do this and as a result have never had the solder joint problems you mentioned. I would file ~1cm of enamel off, then twist whatever wire i was connecting around that 1cm of bare 14awg coil wire and use plenty of solder. When that is done insulate the solder connection(heatshrink?) And test coil resistance with a multimeter. You should see somewhere around 0.1ohms.

First shots:
On the first (half powered?) shot watch the coil carefully for sparks. If you see any there is a problem. You should hear the coil clenching the barrel when you fire, unless it is a ridiculously strong barrel. If you don't have a voltage meter hooked up to the cap bank now is a good time to check that the cap bank discharged to below 20ish volts(if using SCRs) Then after being sure the capacitor bank is discharged check the coil resistance again to make sure the enamel held up. Also watch out for coil temperature and don't fire your high powered shots too quickly after each other. You can repeat this while increasing the voltage. Most of these issues won't show up until you increase capacitance.

Safety:
Obviously, if the capacitor bank is not discharged touching a coil to check temperature with your fingers is DANGEROUS. Trying to feel the coils clench is also extremely dangerous and shouldn't be attempted. In general, I recommend wearing protective clothing(especially when firing a new configuration)in case of wire explosion.
Killa-X
Mon Nov 17 2008, 01:53AM
Yeah I put a CD-Case design around it when I tested my small coil. But yeah, the ONLY wires I touch when the bank is charged, is the 9V battery + to SCR gate, since this is just normal 9V battery power. I'll give my larger coil a try again, and maybe even try 2 capacitors. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: