Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

possible idea for different switching of coils

Move Thread LAN_403
big5824
Mon Oct 27 2008, 05:00PM Print
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
I have no idea if this would work....but i was basically thinking, could the projectile be used to turn on each coil as it moves through the barrel? The barrel itself would be at 0v, and one end of the coil would be linked to +v, and the other would go to a contact of some sort inside the barrel. Then as the projectile moves through, it would link the contact to the barrel, turning the coil on and pulling it forward. This powerpoint might explain it better (sorry i dont have flash installed) http://rapidshare.com/files/158070159/coil_gun_idea.pptx.html

If this could work, then it would be like a multistage coil gun, but it would only need one capacitor bank. Also, it could be possible to make the seperate coils very small, maybes just a few turns each.

Could this work?
rp181
Mon Oct 27 2008, 08:41PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
this idea is used to trigger SCR's in multistage designs, but connect a capacitor directly would be bad, there would be sarking and arcing. Also, save the power point as a earlier version, i ahve that one, but alot of ppl dont.
big5824
Mon Oct 27 2008, 08:53PM
yea the connections would be a problem, i was just thinking it might work better than scrs as you could have tiny stages, maybes up to 50-100 in total
rp181
Mon Oct 27 2008, 09:59PM
now whats the point in that? the only reason to use that many stages if you have a very small caliber projectile, so you cant dump alot of powr into one coil, it would saturate. Multiple stages allow you to add energy slowly, do 100stages would be impractical unless it was somekind of micro caliber.
big5824
Mon Oct 27 2008, 10:10PM
i mean you could make it so that multiple coils are linked at once so that the active coils are always a certain distance infront of the projectile....pretty hard to explain

basically the active coils could be at the ideal distance from the projectile all the time as it moves through the barrel. or is it still just a bad idea?
rp181
Mon Oct 27 2008, 11:55PM
i understand what you mean. What i said earlier still stands. It is pointless to add stages when one stage is suffiecent without saturation.
Its a great idea for a low voltage coilgun, i think it would be worth trying with like a 50v high capacitance bank, i say give it a try, starting with a couple stages to 10, then go higher if it actually helps.
Your original small coil idea, i think, would be a bad idea, as the bank would discharge fast into the first coil with the little resistance and inductance. I think a coil about half the size of a normal coil would be good. Also, since there are so many stages, the coils could be built up rather then to the side. This means there are less turns per layer, but more layers.
guitardude012
Tue Oct 28 2008, 07:22AM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
A similar concept has been implemented. It instead used voltage spikes in "sensor coils" to trip following coils. I believe it was Evgeny Vasiljev, but don't quote me. You still face di/dt and d^2i/dt^2 limits due to the RLC equation, as well as inductive suckback.

Having two coils on at the right time should minimize suckback, though I doubt this will help efficiency considerably. Such a condition would be comparable to dynamic braking of an h-bridge, as opposed to the preferred static braking(friction&drag) between coils in our CG.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: