Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Constant Voltage Power Supplies

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dave Marshall
Mon Sept 15 2008, 01:29PM Print
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
I've long had a number of ideas gleaned from my previous coilgun projects that I have wanted to roll into one huge project, but so far I've been held back by one key component I can't find a reasonable answer to.

I've come to the conclusion that capacitors simply aren't a viable power source for very high efficiency systems, and they complicate system design significantly. I want a power supply capable of delivering somewhere between 150 and 250v, and current on the order of 250 Amps with a nice steady power output.

So far I've considered a couple different options:

Battery Bank:
A bank of car batteries in series seems like it could meet the requirements set forth above, but I'd need between 12 and 20 batteries. At ~$50 each, and usually weighing more than 30lbs, this presents a pretty significant financial and logistical challenge. Since I don't need alot of capacity, a very small battery with a lower capacity would be quite sufficient, but I've yet to find anything like a 15AH SLA that can do more than ~50A, so now I have to consider a parallel/series arrangement. Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Generator:
Smaller and more convenient than a battery bank, but the cost issue still exists. To get a generator capable of sourcing the ~30kw I would want on the low end, I'm looking at several thousand dollars. It was suggested that I parallel a number of car alternators attached to a car engine, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to be confident in this option, and the monetary outlay would still be substantial for the parts.

Mains:
If I had the balls to tap straight into the incoming 220v line from the pole, it would nicely meet my requirements, but that sort of thing makes me very nervous. Anyone have experience with doing this?

The largest breakers in my fusebox are rated at 60A, and are for the 220v three phase for the dryer. Given the very very low duty cycle for this application, getting on the meter side of those breakers seems like a viable option, but again...holycrapdeath.

So, I guess my options are some low capacity but very high current batteries (Anyone have any suggestions?) or the mains. Thoughts?

-Dave
aonomus
Mon Sept 15 2008, 02:31PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
What about a stack of alternators connected to an engine? Compulsator?

It just occured to me, couldn't you use a DC welder as a current source?

As for AC mains, it would be only sane if a breaker, and isolating transformer. As for giving the 250A spike would it be at all possible to find or make a gigantic (read 1-2ft in diam, probably 50-200lb in weight?) torroid as a reactor so that whenever you draw AC you don't cause the magnetic trip in your breakers to go off.

Don't forget that you'd have to rectify the AC mains to DC 170V (or whatever UK line voltage is peak to peak) and you'd likely blow whatever rectifier you had from the spike, probably heatsink and parallel a ton of bridge rectifiers.

Don't forget that the simple SCR switching is avalanche based so you'd never be able to turn off your coil without shutting off AC mains. You might have to go to MOSFET/IGBT which would let you do hard switching (although from what I've heard MOSFETs and IGBTs are much less forgiving for spike current).

If you are nutty enough to try AC mains -> DC -> Coil, you could always have several IGBTs and be able to make a multistage coilgun cheaper than buying a set of caps, scrs, and parts for each stage.

Either way I'd like to see whatever other people think
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 15 2008, 03:00PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Just find a lab with three-phase 120/208V service (assuming you're in the USA) and use a six-pulse bridge rectifier with huge stud diodes. A six-pulse rectifier gives a reasonably ripple-free output without any smoothing capacitors at all, and the diodes should be as strong as any huge SCRs or IGBTs you might use in your magnetic cannon of doom.

Single phase is out. It needs a big capacitor bank to smooth it, and you said you didn't like capacitors.

I once built a test rig to torture TVSs for an intrinsically safe application. It basically connected the TVS to the mains for one half cycle through a big SCR. I was getting 130A peak from a wall socket, and I had an isolating transformer in there to give a bit of reactance for current limiting. The higher mains voltage here helps.

Mon Sept 15 2008, 03:36PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would recommend using the battery method, I have my doubts that trying to suck uS pulses of 200+a out of your mains is not going to work well due to the inductance of everything. When you consider that the load you are feeding is a like 100 turns coil, and that there is hundreds of not thousands of feet of wire between you and the next transformer (which is a big inductor in itself...) I think the mains is going to look a lot more like a constant current power supply at the time scales you are looking at.

The batteries on the other hand have almost 0 inductance, but considerable ESR. If you sized the bank to have a fair bit of extra voltage (you would get the most power draw making a 500v bank and a coil that had the same ESR to get 250v across the coils resistance and 250v across the batteries resistance) such that the batteries voltage could sag significantly you could probably get away with much smaller batteries. I know that a 7a/hr sla will put out on the order of 200a when presented with a short across the terminals, you might be able to find a ESR value for the batteries you are looking at to see how that would work.
Dave Marshall
Mon Sept 15 2008, 03:39PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
aonomus, I ruled out the alternator idea in my first post. It just sounds like an enormous outlay of time and effort for a system that likely won't be any smaller or simpler than a large battery bank, and then I have to worry about maintenance on the ICE thats driving it as well. The associated parts probably wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper than batteries anyway.

The point of this particular system will be to move away from the inefficient and overly complex capacitor/SCR topology. I'll be using transistors to switch the system, so constant current/voltage isn't a problem.

Rectification won't be a major problem, as I already have more than a dozen 200v 400A diodes. A few of those carefully employed should be just the thing.

I have 3 phase 220v service to my home, and can get ready access to it if necessary. My home's wiring is about 20 years old, and there isn't a master breaker in the box. I'll have to check and see if its outside the house near the meter. The 6 pulse bridge rectifier looks like it could be just the thing here. I've heard from several people that they've drawn 100+ Amps from a wall socket in pulsed applications, but that idea makes me nervous for prolonged use. Running a nice 4 gauge line to the 220v line coming from the meter and putting a set of 200A breakers on it sounds like a much more reasonable solution.

I could be satisfied with as little as 150A, especially if that 150A was from a rectified 220v line, which would yield >300vdc.

Dave
Electroholic
Mon Sept 15 2008, 09:40PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
If cost is not a problem, I would just use a capacitor/li-ion hybrid bank. or even lipo.
Good Li-ion cells can handle 20C peak, thats 40A to 52A for a 18650. And at 3.6V per cell, you don't need much to reach 200V. 50S 5P will give you somewhere around 180V 200A.
rp181
Mon Sept 15 2008, 10:57PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
i wouldn't risk drawing pulses with the old wiring, if your house burned down, insurence wouldn't pay.
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 16 2008, 10:51AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Is that as in 220V from phase to phase, 127V from phase to neutral? Sounds ideal smile When you rectify that you get 300-something volts DC, the positive is 150V above neutral and the negative is 150V below. To get the six-pulse characteristic you need to hang your load between the positive and negative lines.

If you're worred about burning the house down, just use some big-ass fuses suitable for the wire gauge. Fuses will take higher peak current than breakers, but it's not peak current that starts fires, it's RMS.

I'd be more worried about complaints from the neighbours when you make the lights flicker in the whole street shades
rp181
Tue Sept 16 2008, 12:04PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
you could be the first ameture to build a compulsator.... wouldn't that be awesome?
OZZY
Wed Sept 24 2008, 01:22PM
OZZY Registered Member #511 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 11:36AM
Hi Dave

It sounds like you need a "stiff" power supply capable of delivering high peak power. This is the same problem faced by the guys who fit high power stereos in cars. They use a stiffening capacitor to bypass the load.

I would use the three phase 220V supply full wave rectified with some big ass diodes, and feed that into a large bank of capacitors. Remember that the capacitors are not there to smooth out voltage ripple from the mains, they are there to bypass the peak current required by the load.

The cap bank must have a lower impedance than the mains supply line for it to do any good. The cap bank should isolate the load from the inductance of the supply lines. The rectifier will only need to pass the average current which may only be half the peak current.

Ozzy
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: