Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitors and their ratings, impact.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Angry_Llama
Sun Aug 31 2008, 02:40AM Print
Angry_Llama Registered Member #1669 Joined: Sun Aug 31 2008, 02:33AM
First, let me say "Hi"- I'm new here and I'm really enjoy building high-voltage based electronics. Right now, though, I'm building a coilgun. So far, I have figured out the majority of the construction, but get completely lost in two sections, one of which I hope you can help with now, and the other when I encounter it again.
In the construction of my coilgun, I will be using a large amount of salvaged capacitors. For this device, what is the more important rating, voltage or capacitance? I have two 63V 10000 µF capacitors, and one 16V 10000 µF capacitors, amongst the piles of lower voltage and capacitance. Which should I use? Should I give up and just order better ones?
Backyard Skunkworks
Sun Aug 31 2008, 03:30AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
The 63v cap will provide enough power to get a nail going pretty fast if your coil has low enough resistance. Generally it's a good idea to have atleast 150V for coilguns, but lower voltages can work if the reistance is low enough.

Try to shoot for under half an ohm in the coil and the 63V cap will make a decent first gun.

Also remember to put in a crowbar diode that opposes the direction of current flow. It will save your capacitor from an early death.

Mechanical triggering might work at this voltage with sufficient inductance, otherwise opt for some SCRs rated around 400A peak.
Barry
Sun Aug 31 2008, 04:05AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Welcome to 4hv! It turns out the important factor is the amount of potential energy it stores, which is a combination of both capacitance and voltage:

PE = 1/2 * C * V^2

where C is capacitance in farads, and V is voltage.

Did I read your note correctly that you have some 10,000 µF caps where some are rated at 16v and some at 63v? Using these numbers for an example:
  • PE = (0.5) (0.010 F) (63 v)^2 = 19.845 joules

• PE = (0.5) (0.010 F) (16 v)^2 = 1.26 joules

It would be tempting to connect all your caps in parallel, so the capacitance adds up, but then the voltage rating is limited to the lowest rating in the bunch. Since they're in parallel they would all see the same voltage.

Cheers, Barry
Haikus are easy
but sometimes they don't make sense
refrigerator
Angry_Llama
Sun Aug 31 2008, 05:46AM
Thanks Barry! I can always get behind the whole physical aspect of things, it's the easy part for me :) You read right that there were 10,000 microfarads at 63 Volts and 16 volts. Also dealing with that, do i understand correctly that if I were to wire them in series, I would gain voltage but halve capacitance?
Backyard Skunkworks, I'm not sure what you mean by trigger. I have a momentary SPST switch that I was using for that, is that a bad idea? from what you're saying, it seems that wouldn't end well.
Finally, in a related part, this is more of a desktop test then a handheld sort of item, I wouldn't want to waste materials on a case for a prototype. I'm using an old marks-a-lot marker as my barrel, how long of a coil should I make? When I go to wind more layers, do i wind on top going back to the start of the lower coil as in the opposite direction of the lower layer, or do I go back to the beginning and go in the same direction as the lower? I apologize for the multitude of questions, but some things I can
t find explained clearly (or at all). Once I get a working secondary or tertiary prototype, I think I'll compile a repository of knowledge on the subject...
EDIT: I noticed from the formula- voltage is actually more important than capacitance, especially since capacitors usually don't exceed the microfarad...
Informed EDIT: Backyard Skunkworks, the switch I was using is not even 5 Amps, so, to answer my own question, Bad idea. Why exactly do I need a trigger switch, why can't I use two pieces of copper?
Barry
Sun Aug 31 2008, 01:45PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Whew, a lot of questions, but you have to start somewhere. Btw it would be worthwhile to edit your posts for organization, putting related topics together so it's easier to answer.

Yes, when various cans have the same capacitance rating, the only thing that matters is the voltage rating. The stored energy goes up as the square of the voltage so you can see why 100v - 300v capacitors are so attractive.

Careful about connecting different capacitors in series. If they have different ratings then it becomes difficult (even unsafe) to charge and discharge them. More about it here.

Switches? I say try your SPST and see what happens. It will work at least once. cheesey Just don't count on it lasting a long time. This usage tends to arc and pit and even weld the contacts. The 5A rating is for continuous duty and you can exceed that in pulse duty as in coilguns. You can exceed it by 100x or more but it obviously shortens its lifespan.

Almost any kind of switch will work, the bigger the better. Even copper plates will work. Too bad they don't sell mercury-wetted contact wall switches any longer. Mechanical switches have the advantage of lower contact resistance than SCRs and silicon devices. But in multi-stage coilguns a mechanical switch can't be used in subsequent stages.

Winding? As long as all the turns go on in the same direction, it is not critical how the coil is wound. If you start winding with clockwise turns then they must all be clockwise or they'll cancel each other's effects.

A random wound coil will work pretty well. A neat tidy coil can work a little better. There are some small gains to be had with neat tidy coils; using less wire results in lowering both resistance and inductance. So wind one layer from left to right, and continue immediately stacking the next layer from right to left, to minimize the amount of wire. By the way, keep all the other wires very short in the main high-current path, for the same reason.

Firing tube? With only a few dozen joules of potential energy in your caps, it will work better with a smaller diameter. It will be more impressive to shoot small nails; bolts and such won't get much speed. A marks-a-lot tube may be 5 - 10mm across, and you need is a tube is a tube just barely bigger than a nail. Try straws and ballpoint pen tubes.

Cheers, Barry
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe
Angry_Llama
Sun Aug 31 2008, 01:52PM
Thanks Barry, that's pretty much the majority of my questions, save one final one: Because the resistivity (and thus its resistance) of a wire decreases in lower temperatures, wouldn't a coilgun be inherently more or less efficient depending on the time of year and climate of the user? Or is the change due to temperature differences negligible? I was never expected to know the differences temperature brought into the equation, it was always a simple standard, hence my question.
youngcoilgunner
Sun Aug 31 2008, 03:41PM
youngcoilgunner Registered Member #1633 Joined: Tue Aug 12 2008, 04:21AM
the effects of climate would almost be negligible. however, If your talking about the difference between -20 degrees, and 120 degrees, there are some noticeable resistance changes
Angry_Llama
Sun Aug 31 2008, 09:42PM
Thanks again, folks. Right now, it seems like I'm going to go with the 2 10000 microfarad, 63V caps for my desk prototype, and use an old bic casing as the barrel. As for the coil, I'll try to make it 25mm in length and about 7 layers.(I could use help with the numbers for this part, it's the only one i'm not sure about.) For a trigger, I'll sacrifice this SPST switch, as it's useless to me anyways, and I believe that, since I already have it, using the flash circuit from a camera instead of making my own DC-DC converter is best... Anything I'm missing?
EDIT: Well, that was fast. I found out the capacitors were completely worthless, they are not working at all. Multimeter confirms this. Now, I need suggestions for capacitors, where to buy, capacitance/voltage, and amount to get...
Backyard Skunkworks
Mon Sept 01 2008, 06:22AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
First off, is the charging plarity right on them? Second, did you fire them WITHOUT a protection diode? (sometimes one shot could do it, although not likely.

For other sources of capacitors, I'd reccomend a photoprocessing store. They will give away used disposable camera casings each with a 330V 80-160uF cap, between 4.5 and 9J. Just remember the protection diode! (Thats a diode that faces the oppisite way of the main current flow, to kill the inductive kickback).
Angry_Llama
Mon Sept 01 2008, 11:15PM
They weren't even wired in yet! They were salvaged from an old stereo Amp, and I am assuming that this was why it wasn't working. I'm going to go to my local CVS, as I can't think of any dedicated photoprocessing stores in my area (any of the ones I once knew have gone out of business with the advent of the digital age.)
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: