Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need general help

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
youngcoilgunner
Tue Aug 19 2008, 09:43PM
youngcoilgunner Registered Member #1633 Joined: Tue Aug 12 2008, 04:21AM
pretty much
Killa-X
Wed Aug 20 2008, 01:17AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
youngcoilgunner wrote ...

pretty much

Ok, Thanks for all your help dude, I' can't get back to you for awhile, i plan to build the coil tomorrow, but I cant get the capacitors until I order them. You helped me a lot, my first coilgun was random guesses and failed so badly. :P Played smart today and said hey, im ASKING and reading! :)
youngcoilgunner
Wed Aug 20 2008, 03:52AM
No problem. It took myself a full 4 months from the start of my interest in coilguns to get a model working (however feeblishly). Don't loose hope when something doesn't work, because If you keep at it, you will conquer it. My own coilgun experience started in 8th grade, by the end of 9th grade I could shoot 6 feet. By the end of 10th grade it could dent cardboard. By the end of 11th grade it could pierce a can. and right now, it currently draws blood... But just keep at it and soon you will be among the coilgun greats...
Killa-X
Wed Aug 20 2008, 11:04PM
Yup, And if i ever get stuck, I can always ask for suggestions. I just hope caps last a long time. I'm really taking like 7-10 camera charge circuits in a stack, (using the SMALL cut way) and charging it like that. I think it's still 330V just faster charge in stacks like that. So, that way its 400V, but really using around 350V. I planed to place some stuff in PVC pipe just for looks and safe reasons. I still need to design a gun, but that comes AFTER testing it works charges right.

Also, quick question, Is it best to do 1 layer, tape / glue?, Then another... tape/glue? etc etc..

Also, So say i did 5 layers. and had more coil left, it wont fk up the magnetic field to solder together the end to new coil, so i can extend it to.. 7 or 12 right? or.. Do i need to restart.. (This is why my Bolt im using is SLIGHTLY bigger than the draw to slide on/off coilsets)

A 400V 3.5Amp diode wont work would it...Maybe a 1000V 6A?

Also, when i saw in coffee can, I don't even mind if its point-Blank, Just be fun if it could actually shoot a distance and pierce. I'll have to find a creative way to make a projectile however...
rp181
Thu Aug 21 2008, 12:44AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
i glued some sand paper on a cd and sanded a metal rod for projectile, then put the rod in the drill, run over it with fine sand paper, and hold a hacksaw blade to it to cut. Sand paper gets worn easilly, so buy a grinding stone.
Killa-X
Thu Aug 21 2008, 01:23AM
rp181 wrote ...

i glued some sand paper on a cd and sanded a metal rod for projectile, then put the rod in the drill, run over it with fine sand paper, and hold a hacksaw blade to it to cut. Sand paper gets worn easilly, so buy a grinding stone.

Yeah, I have a dual-Stone wheel that I've used for homebrew knifes before, But Would a 100V 6A diode do the job? or not? :( Talking maybe 4 400V 470uf capacitors in parallel.
youngcoilgunner
Thu Aug 21 2008, 02:14AM
yeah, it would work. Dont worry tooo much about the amperage: 6 Amps should do the trick. its the inverse voltage spikes that kill you. I would say thats a good clamp diode, but make sure to put in in series with a 10 ohm resistor (not wire-round). I would also NOT USE TAPE between the layers; it reduces the turns-per inch and hence takes away from the magnetic field quite a bit. Just use superglue and some tissue paper in between to separate the layers. just enough so that the superglue soaks the tissue paper and holds it on the layer. and I did not quite get what you meant about 7-12 layers..
Killa-X
Thu Aug 21 2008, 03:16AM
The 7-12 layers was what i found on instructables to use a 20 mm length coil and to do 12 layers about.. But Your saying 1 inch at 5 layers So, I'll go your way because personally I think you know what your doing more than the guy on instructables.
youngcoilgunner
Thu Aug 21 2008, 04:25AM
yes, 7 to 12 layers can greatly increase the magnetic field, but it makes the inductance a lot higher, as well as decreasing the overall amperage in the system. It also depends on what wire size you use. with 24 awg, you should be fine.
Killa-X
Fri Aug 22 2008, 12:30AM
Yeah, Keep in mind that Im doing a Single coil for my first coilgun. And I've seen videos showing 400V 470 uf caps shooting stuff into coffee cans, just not sure the size or lazers I can use.

So im going with your 1-inch wide, 5 layers over a burger king straw. I added u to messenger so ill explain more there...
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: