Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need general help

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Killa-X
Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:18PM Print
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
My first coilgun, was a wth i'll just put stuff together. shot 5mm. wow! fail.

So, after a few years of going around..i found 400V 470uf capacitors (4 of them) can shoot a bolt though a can. Now a guy on instructables, charged his to 800V using only 4 of those capacitors (2 in series) and shot though a coffee can and hit his wall behind it.

My question:

Yet mass of object matters, if i was to use 4 of these 400V 470uf capacitors, How big of a barrel do i need to be able to puncture a coffee can? I mean loading a object in a Straw from a restaurant, wont do me any good will it?
rp181
Mon Aug 18 2008, 08:53PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
double the speed, quadruple the energy, double the mass, double the energy. You want enough mass to keep the energy in the projectile, but not to big.
youngcoilgunner
Mon Aug 18 2008, 10:26PM
youngcoilgunner Registered Member #1633 Joined: Tue Aug 12 2008, 04:21AM
Well, you'd be suprised how much power you can direct through a coil formed on a straw. as long as it is one of those drinking straws and not those coffe stirrers, you should be fine. I'd use 24 awg magnet wire from radioshack, say about 5 layers, 1" long. While it is true that increasing speed does more for a projectile than increasing mass, heavy projectiles transfer their energy more effectively to the target.
Killa-X
Tue Aug 19 2008, 01:58AM
youngcoilgunner wrote ...

Well, you'd be suprised how much power you can direct through a coil formed on a straw. as long as it is one of those drinking straws and not those coffe stirrers, you should be fine. I'd use 24 awg magnet wire from radioshack, say about 5 layers, 1" long. While it is true that increasing speed does more for a projectile than increasing mass, heavy projectiles transfer their energy more effectively to the target.

Yup, Was going to try a drinking straw. I'll try your amount first then i'll try the others guys amount, i think 20 mm wide and 12 layers. Would u recommend 4 or 10 of those 400V 470 UF?
Backyard Skunkworks
Tue Aug 19 2008, 02:09AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
If your goal is to shoor through a can, I'd say go with more capacitors. One thing for sure is, try a semi-wadcutter tip on your ammo, you'll have much better odds that way.

I calculated your caps are 37.6J each, getting through a coffee can shouldnt be too hard with either four or ten.

BTW Don't forget the protection diodes! Theres nothing worse than losing your caps in the prime of their life! cheesey
Killa-X
Tue Aug 19 2008, 02:25AM
Backyard Skunkworks wrote ...

If your goal is to shoor through a can, I'd say go with more capacitors. One thing for sure is, try a semi-wadcutter tip on your ammo, you'll have much better odds that way.

I calculated your caps are 37.6J each, getting through a coffee can shouldnt be too hard with either four or ten.

BTW Don't forget the protection diodes! Theres nothing worse than losing your caps in the prime of their life! cheesey

I heard they can actually take some power away. what's the best rated diodes to get? maybe ill try 6 first, and see how it goes, save some caps maybe hah ;P
youngcoilgunner
Tue Aug 19 2008, 03:19AM
Nope, they do not take any power away, only the unwanted power that can destroy your capacitors!! If your going for any cap value larger than 1000µf @ 260v or higher, use larger magnet wire, and alter your layers a bit. I had a model (which was recently scrapped) that only used 560µf capacitors rated at 450V, though I only charged them to 260 (it took too long). I used the 24 awg and the coil diameters set above, and was able to launch a 4.5 gram projectile 50 feet!, Not quite the power your looking for, but if you use 2 stages (W/ same parameters as the first stage), scr triggered and phototransistor sensing, you can easily pierce a can (I did that with a 4" long, 1/4" wide tempered steel nail). it actually continued through the other side, but got stuck. I'd say about 5 stages is really the most you'll want to do, any more will have little or no benefit.
Killa-X
Tue Aug 19 2008, 03:39AM
Hmm yeah, I was just going for straw barrel and get a round to fire though the first side at LEAST but, i can try like the other guy said and use like 4-6 with a 1 inch 5-12 layer coil. I found a guy that got his to fire using the same capacitors, like i said 20mm and 12 layers.

Also, it is Washer:Coil:Washer right? no cardboard between the coils and the steel washer?
youngcoilgunner
Tue Aug 19 2008, 12:19PM
I wouldn't use a washer; you read this on barry's coilgun site that washers, despite directing flux lines toward the projectile, external Iron is subject to heavy hysteresis losses. What you could try is cutting the washer in fourths, covering them in enamel, and then assembling the quartered washers nearest to the projectile's end of the coil just as if it was another washer. The coil and washer will act like a transformer, inducing current flow in the washer which reduces from the overall current available in the magnetic field, but quartering it in this way should reduce those losses significantly.
Killa-X
Tue Aug 19 2008, 03:53PM
So it's almost even more better just do use no washers VS having them. I can still get them for making a perfect coil then and just take them off xD
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: