Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitor exploded, any ideas why?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Neil
Tue Jun 24 2008, 08:52AM Print
Neil Registered Member #1458 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2008, 09:47AM
Hi All,

Recently finished my capacitor bank project and was testing it out, had done about 7 shots with it, slowly working my way up to full power. Working voltage is 5000, and these caps can go to 7500 apparently peak. At the time I had got to 4000 and was just about to fire it when one capacitor exploded and did some damage to my bank. Here is the Video of my bank, at the end shows when it exploded, though unforunately had the camera zoomed in on the can I was about to crush at the time.

I'm not so worried about fixing it, what worries me is if one blew up, will the others. If anyone can help me decide or help me work out exactly what caused it please do. I would hate to fix it and just have another one go on me. I was lucky this time it only broke the acrylic on the end, it would have been a shame to have wrecked the side plate or the floor that everything screws to.

Link2

Here are some pics of the capacitor that exploded

Capacitor

Capacitor

Capacitor

Some info from where I bought it

Model Number of the capacitors are K75-40a

POLARITY: Any DC or AC

Peak Working Voltage: 7500 V

Discharge current amplitude: up to 1400 A

Dissipation factor at f=50Hz: <0,008 !

Time constant: >3000 MOhm.uF

Insulation resistance: >15000 MOhm

Single shocks witch acceleration: up to 500 G

Temperature range: -60...+70°C (-76...158°F)

Atmospheric pressure of work: 0,00012 to 294 000,0 Pa

Working Position -Any

Material of electrodes:Composite of metals witch a special film coats

Electrode insulator: Polyethylene-tereftalate

Marko
Tue Jun 24 2008, 11:43AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Woah Neil, and I just wanted to post an admiration to your project...
There's nothing I hate more than a nicely and painfully constructed project which messes up in the end. If it was me now, I would have probably given a good amount of shots to those caps just sitting on the floor before building an enclosure like that.

And yes, if you lost a cap so fast, I would be really concerned about the rest.

Have you estimated how much peak current are you drawing per capacitor? 1400A doesn't look like much of a rating for pulse capacitors.

OZZY
Tue Jun 24 2008, 12:35PM
OZZY Registered Member #511 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 11:36AM
Hi Neil

Are these foil capacitors or Metallized film capacitors?

Foil caps are suitable for pulse discharge (can crushing, coin shrinking etc.) but for caps that size the max peak current would be more than 1400A. Metallized film caps are not suitable for very high currents (can crushing, coin shrinking etc.) but can be used for slower discharges (coilgun, railgun etc.).

How much voltage reversal are they rated for? Most pulse caps are only rated for 20% and will need some protection, or be operated at lower voltage. Are they new or used? How old are they? You may want to be sure they are in good condition before charging to 5000V.

Possible failure modes:
If they are foil caps and all 9 are conected in parallel, then when the dielectric in one cap fails the energy of the whole bank will be dumped into the arc. Bang!
If they are metallized caps they will self heal by vaporizing some of the metallization, but if this happens a lot then pressure will build up inside the cap. Bang!

I hope this helps.

Ozzy
teslacoolguy
Tue Jun 24 2008, 01:36PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
It looks like he is using a bunch of these caps Link2
Tue Jun 24 2008, 02:59PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Those look like oil caps, and aren't suited to high peak powers. They are designed for things like smooting your power supply, dc blocking, etc.
Neil
Wed Jun 25 2008, 10:08AM
Neil Registered Member #1458 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2008, 09:47AM
Thanks Marko for your comments. I didnt fire it enough times to get the chance to try and work out peak amps. I have an osciliscope that I had all ready to test it to work out discharge times and voltage reversal but it exploded before I had the chance to test.

Ozzy, as far as I know they are foil capacitors, I guess out of assumption at the lack of finding anything saying otherwise. I'm not sure what voltage reversal they are rated for, I assumed some would be ok, for a while at least given their apparent rating for AC and description of what they were designed for. They were all hooked up in parallel so yes unfortunately all of the power from the bank got dumped into that one poor capacitor which didnt fair too well. They are brand new, old stock caps.

Teslacoolguy, yes they are exacttly the capacitors I have been buying up. For me personally, I found it very hard to find capacitors that suit the application we put them into when building this sort of equipment. I often look through ebay both in Australia and overseas and so far these were all I could find that I could buy in a quantity that would fulful what I was after, They seemed ok from their descriptions though admitadly I was a bit hesitant when I seen their peak amps were only 1400, I thought they should probably be more for a capacitor of this application.

Im thinking perhaps I should be looking at fitting out new capacitors to this unit...

Thanks for your comments which have been very helpful

Neil.
Shaun
Wed Jun 25 2008, 02:27PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
That's really too bad about such a nicely constructed project. The first sign, for me, that something was wrong was when you only squeezed those cans inward a little with multiple kilojoules of energy. 2kJ of pulse capacitors would have ripped them in half and thrown the halves across the room.

If the rest of the capacitors are undamaged, they would make a nice coilgun. With all of them in parallel the 1400A peak would multiply by however many capacitors you have. Plus with reverse protection diodes you wouldn't need to worry about voltage reversal killing your capacitors.
Fraggle
Sat Jun 28 2008, 05:51PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Neil, dont overlook microwave oven caps - you could easily achieve that can-crushing result with as few as six and they`re easy to get hold of.
Myke
Sat Jun 28 2008, 05:54PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Six? That's 12J...
I don't think 12J is enough to crush a can. I could be wrong though.
Fraggle
Sat Jun 28 2008, 06:12PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Yeah but you can charge them repeatedly to at least 9kV, I charge mine with three MOTs in series and an HV diode (behind 2 building blocks just in case).
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: